Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lovely meal on saturday.

Options
  • 20-04-2009 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Just taking a sidetrack from the somewhere good to eat in Athlone thread to say.......I had a lovely meal in Mullingar on saturday night in the Lotus gardens.

Not being from Mullingar it was my first time going out for dinner there.
    I live in Dundalk and have been in the Jade Garden and the Aldephi Jade restaurants.....all the same family as the Lotus.

Food was excellent....thoroughly enjoyed by all in my group and the service was impecccable too.....must say the manager/owner is a character ....pleasure to have eaten there and no doubt I will be returning.

Since I shall be spending more time in Mullingar in the coming month(my fiance is from outside there) other than the lotus...where woudl people recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭anigheh

Whats the story with Raynards my daughter used to live in Athlone and was always raving about the place I finally get to athlone to try it out and find it all locked up and looked like it had been locked up for a long time?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

I take it you mean rayners, the place has been closed for over 6 months now, when it first opened it was packed every night, after a while the place died down a bit and relied on bar food more... wasn't a bad place, I think they plan on rebuilding the place and having it as more of a food cafe joint...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Rayners is closed for nearly 18 months now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

styer wrote: »
    ... after a while the place died down a bit and relied on bar food more...

And even at that the carvery food became known for quantity over quality.

Was also known for the odd fight or two (the bar that is, not the food!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

MariMel wrote: »
    .....must say the manager/owner is a character ....

Haha, that's Wai, yeah he's hilarious, except he always calls me American to piss me off. Their food really is excellent (prawn fried rice = gorgeous) and so is the service, the family who runs it is sound. Haven't been to any of the rest of the places, there's four I think? But I know Wai fairly well and would recommend the Lotus Garden to anyone.

Amber Court is meant to be nice, though I haven't actually been-- to be honest the only place I've ever actually eaten out at has been the Lotus, and I'd probably just go there again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭CGorman

Back to OP, I'd swear by the Amber Court and Oscars - both do excellent food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Ad to that Ilia Tapas and a few miles outside the is The Belfry, both are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

Rayners is closed for nearly 18 months now

sorry didn't think it was that long!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

yeah, have heard of the Amber court....reckon it'll be on the list.
    The Lotus Gardens will be a definite again thought.....i loved my meal but spent most of it ooogling the satay prawns my friend had.
    Wai.....thats the name....I wasnt sure how to spell it. My fiance knows him quite well too. I always feel that no matter how good the food is in any restaurant, if i dont feel comfortable or relaxed then that place is not worth going to.
    The Lotus Garden had it all for me.

Going to try a few more places....the Tapas place is on the list for in a few weeks time.

Thanks for the ideas. x x x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭CGorman

Also if you're after more traditional fare in the sunday lunch price range, i'd suggest Weir's Pub in Multyfarnham (a few miles out the Longford side of Mullingar). Was there for the first time two weeks ago, and would definitely return.

• Advertisement
Advertisement