Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stripping Decking Stain

Options
  • 20-04-2009 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Over the last few years, I put Ronseal Decking Stain on my deck boards. To be frankly honest, this stuff is rubbish and just peels off the following spring needing re-coating every year.

They are the smooth borads, not the grooved ones, so I'd like to strip them back to the wood and put Sikkens stuff on them to get them properly treated.

Apart from using Nitromors which is really caustic, is there anything else I could put on not as hazardous that would help loosen it up for washing off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Made the same mistake, just last weekend I used a high power washer and it took most of it off. Just going to use restore & oil stuff from here on.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

secman wrote: »
    Made the same mistake, just last weekend I used a high power washer and it took most of it off. Just going to use restore & oil stuff from here on.

Secman

did it strip off easy enough with the pressure washer?

I'm reluctant to use the pressure washer as I didn't think it was a good idea to put high pressure water onto the timber

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I wouldn't advise using a power washer on decking. It will all depend on the pressure as some of the DIY washers are of little use other than for washing cars. On the otherhand a power washer with 100bar+ will damage the boards and the higher pressure will cause slash like rip marks deep into the surface texture.

A chemical treatment would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

any suggestions? Manufacturer? I am hoping not to have to use anything that caustic as its only water based stuff I'm wanting to remove

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 paulhiggins

im looking for a nice cemical also to get rid of moss and oil based [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL] off my decking help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

I think Mulveys Ranelagh do a deck stripping agent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

I wouldn't advise using a power washer on decking. It will all depend on the pressure as some of the DIY washers are of little use other than for washing cars. On the otherhand a power washer with 100bar+ will damage the boards and the higher pressure will cause slash like rip marks deep into the surface texture.

Well I would`nt use a power washer on a car, thats what hoses are for.
    I used a power washer on my dick and it got most of the stain off but not all of it, it did`nt do that much damage and since it had to be sanded after words the damage was easily gone. I also tried to deck ronseal dick cleaning **** and it was ****. To get the more awkward parts of it I bought a little plain kind of scrapper thing in woodies and it takes of just the bare surface of the wood, did the job but be patient...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lewis wrote: »
    I used a power washer on my dick
    ow.

Advertisement