Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where the F* is the swell?

Options
  • 20-04-2009 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Is it just me, but I have been checking the eyeball reports for Lahinch and its been flat for about three months and, strandhill is either the same or blown out?

I have had to console myself with relatively ok swell in Tramore, but I have been itching to get out west. Has anywhere west been working recently i.e. bundoran, streedagh, tullen etc?

Ta.

K-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

ive had a few nice enough sessions at streedagh recently. bundoran has been ok too. jus call the local shops before ya head across the country and they can fill you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Guess its just the summer lull :p I had some pretty good sessions in Lahinch about a month ago but haven't even been checking since then tbh. Windguru says the swell is due to pick up later this week, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

3ft on Turf @ doug today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 stupidbaby

ya - no shortage of swell in lahinch recently. what eyeball reports have you been checking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

what sites are ye checking?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

No shortage of waves in Strandhill and Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

seachto7 wrote: »
    what sites are ye checking?

Either Tom Buckley from the Lahinch surf shop is a f*ckin liar or the 11am eyeball reports arent indicative of the rest of the day. All of his reports for the last three months have been no bigger than 2-3ft :mad:

http://magicseaweed.com/view-user-report.php?id=18180 is what his reports usually look like.

Havent ventured to Strandhill as the view from the cam looks cr*p most of the time :mad:

Gonna get me wesht soon even on spec.

Thanks all.

K-

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Either Tom Buckley from the Lahinch surf shop is a f*ckin liar or the 11am eyeball reports arent indicative of the rest of the day. All of his reports for the last three months have been no bigger than 2-3ft mad.gif
    But thats just a snapshot of that moment in time, nothing more nothing less. He cant do any better than that really. Keep your eye on the oceanscene or lahinchsurfshop webcam instead, they gives a much better idea of whats going on in realtime. You have to check the detailed forecasts on magicseaweed or windguru for different times of the day to get a proper idea what the swell will be doing. The waves can change in such a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Kell wrote: »
    Gonna get me wesht soon even on spec.

Check the turf n surf or Bundoran surf co sites. They have daily reports, forecasts and live cams. Or give them a ring on the day.

• Advertisement

Decos wrote: »
    You have to check the detailed forecasts on magicseaweed or windguru for different times of the day to get a proper idea what the swell will be doing. The waves can change in such a short space of time.

Have always found those sites 100% inaccurate.

Try http://www.marine.ie/home/publicationsdata/data/buoys for the most accurate information about what the ocean is doing.

K-

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tonyfillony

I find both magicseaweed and windguru can be completely wrong sometimes and other time they get it right.

what i have been doing for the last few year or so is creating a surf log. he is what i do :
    for anyday i go down the beach , when i get home later i copy and paste the conditions that were present at the time i was down there from magicseaweed. i rate the conditions out of 10 and what beaches i visited. this way i can check the forecast and then compare the conditions to my surf log so i can try and predict where and when the waves will be. I find this alot better than using magicseaweed or windguru

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭smythire

i am up in strandhill now and its a mighty wind thats a blowing. there was a large swell yeresterday, but i arrived too late. the next or last of the best was earlier that day.

i am head towards eastke aalthought the wind in on shore.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

Either Tom Buckley from the Lahinch surf shop is a f*ckin liar or the 11am eyeball reports arent indicative of the rest of the day. All of his reports for the last three months have been no bigger than 2-3ft :mad:.

An experienced, balls in his (or her) hand surfer measures the swell from the back of the wave, i.e. a 3ft swell means a 6ft drop in.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

what i have been doing for the last few year or so is creating a surf log. he is what i do :
    for anyday i go down the beach , when i get home later i copy and paste the conditions that were present at the time i was down there from magicseaweed. i rate the conditions out of 10 and what beaches i visited. this way i can check the forecast and then compare the conditions to my surf log so i can try and predict where and when the waves will be. I find this alot better than using magicseaweed or windguru
    Ive always meant to start doing this, its a good idea.
    Always? How often do you surf?
    I dunno, ive often found those sites to be sometimes wrong but ive also often found them to be spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

No forecast in the world can be 100% accurate. They can't possibly take the huge number of relevant local factors into account. But I've always found windguru to be pretty accurate (e.g. compared to the Met Eireann sea area forecast) when it comes to forecasting wind at least.

Shane_C wrote: »
    i.e. a 3ft swell means a 6ft drop in.

Which I know, however the eyeball report in question is 2-3ft at the face when looking at the photos.

K-

Heard Lahinch was pumping today.... 6ft and super clean.

Dublin sucks balls.....

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭whynotwhycanti

sitting here in work and the lahinch webcam looks awesome.

Its not fair, thats it, im moving west

Sick isn't it.... Mates were out. Rang me to tell me all about it or more rub it in...

Can't put a price on true fiendship!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Enjoyed Fanore this evening although a bit messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭whynotwhycanti

Friends, thats what they're there for. To rub your nose it in when they get to score sick waves and you can't

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Friends, thats what they're there for. To rub your nose it in when they get to score sick waves and you can't

hahahaha, sounds about right. nearly killed me when i was getting my winter wettie patched up while i was injured, into the shop, said what i wanted done, needed to check some stuff, so guy on desk made small talk.... about the awesome swell last week... 'no, been injured, not allowed surf'... 'aw, sucks man... so you won't be out this weekend?'... 'no, still injured', 'aw sucks man, meant to be a sweet swell in this weekend, and westerlies too'... *grits teeth*
    'no... still not alllowed surf, really don't want to hear it'... 'so you weren't out last friday? dude, that was off the hook!'.... '*scowls*. no.'.

seriously... people can't honestly do that on purpose... can they?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

dude, that was off the hook!'....

woah where were you California or something?
    Might have a well paid job transfer starting in Sligo real soon, here's hopin'

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

"you should have seen it yesterday!"

thats the worst one

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    woah where were you California or something?
    Might have a well paid job transfer starting in Sligo real soon, here's hopin'

ha, nz actually, christchurch. just when i thought i'd figured out the accent and the lingo, i fell in with a surfing crowd...

must be freezing down there now, it's even colder than west of ireland there in winter, well the winter i spent in NZ it was anyway but i was up north, do people surf in july/August?

got our first bout of hail/snow the other day. mates are all starting to get excited about snowboarding, and people are starting to look at me like im a nutter for still surfing in this weather... feck's sake, the water's still about 12 degrees, absolutely grand, really. though this year i have a hoody, which has made the world of a difference to the first 10mins and that dreadful instant brainfreeze, and after my last surf, i called round to a mate and came home with free (used and slightly holey) booties, so im well stoked!

last year i did the whole winter in nothing but my 4:3 wettie.

just move to the north island i much preferred living there!

• Advertisement

not a chance. my OH is a chch boy, through and through. no way he's moving up north. and im quite happy out here. swell's consistently decent, and ive a coupla decent mates here.

Advertisement