Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong Number

Options
  • 20-04-2009 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hey Everyone, so this has happened me two times, it could be the same person I do not know but heres the story... so some night in January in the middle of the night when I was asleep my phone rang, a strange number came up and as it was in the middle of the night I thought something was wrong so I answered it and they hung up so then they text back looking for some woman and said "is this so and so text back please, I hate when I text people they dont text back so I text back no it was not so then they text back strange messages like "are you in bed" "sorry did I wake you" and "R U working 2day" so I switched my phone off to sleep, so that was the end of that, then it happened last week again, I answered it because my sister is always out of credit and borrowing other peoples phones and the same thing happened again, they probably found out from my voice that Im a woman then they text me asking if I was so and so (womans name) then asking what my name was, were Im from, was I working... Its really stange so I just deleted the messages and deleted their number from my call log, so just wondering does this happen to anyone else, and from now on I am not answering numbers that I dont recognise:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

if they're becoming a nuisance give your network a call and ask for the number to be blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

hobochris wrote: »
    if they're becoming a nuisance give your network a call and ask for the number to be blocked.

They don't do this, as far as I know.

But if the person is becoming a nusiance, go to the Gardai. It's an offence to make unwanted/unsolicited nuisance calls - they'll ring the person and tell them to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Sometimes your number can be one out from somebody elses and it's just coincidence they rang you .

Q- How many people lose a phone with hundreds of numbers on it ?

A- Thousends .

your number may have being on somebody lost / stolen phone .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Some guy was text-stalking me once - initially I'd respond, then I realised the only way to make him quit was ignore him. And it worked.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I keep getting calls from foreign men and women looking for the same person. I keep saying that there is no-one by that name at this number, two messages have been left saying they're from '3' as in the mobile phone network and to call them back. Why would '3' be ringing me, someone who is on O2 looking for one of their customers. :confused: I keep have rung 3 to tell them to **** off but their staff can't speak english. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

A couple of years ago just after Christmas a woman kept ringing my mobile looking for some fella called Anthony. Drove me mental, I kept telling her, "no sorry this is my phone, and I don't know any fella called Anthony". She stopped after a half a dozen efforts at different times of the day/night. I assumed she met this Anthony at a party and got him mobile number but was dialling 086 instead of 087 or whatever ...

A few years back I got a prank text from someone, I thought it was a friend being smart and texting me from someone elses phone, so I played along for a bit, till it became obvious I didn't know this person at all. Some kid texted me instead of her friend :confused: didn't she have her friend's number in her phone, like?

It's possible lovinit that someone thinks your number is a friend of theirs ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

shellyboo wrote: »
    They don't do this, as far as I know.

But if the person is becoming a nusiance, go to the Gardai. It's an offence to make unwanted/unsolicited nuisance calls - they'll ring the person and tell them to stop.

Actually they do, Iv had someone blocked before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i enquired from my network provoder (vodafone) about blocking someones number from ringing me, it was roughly this time last year, and they said they didnt do that, and that the gardai were my only official recourse.

maybe o2 or meteor do this though, i dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I remember trying to call my ex then bf one time after a trip away somewhere. Got some complete randomer and asked who on earth it was ??
    Checked to see if I'd done something funny but no - I was ringing his number

turned out later on, while we'd been abroad his phone somehow got set to diverting all calls to some random number, his family had been in a tizzy wondering what was going on as well. I felt sorry for the lad on the other end who kept getting all these calls asking for a wrong name!

texts still worked though

Anyway maybe something like that happened :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Lilyblue

A lad was texting my Mams phone, it was a wrong number. He was like oh sorry, hope your a woman & single, you sound lovely bla bla bla. He kept texting even when I told him I was married with kids it still didn't put him off. Just ignored him in the end & it seemed to have worked!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I got a text last week from someone called Mark asking me if I was still sore after what he did to me last night!? He even had the right name for me! Texted back "em wrong number!?" Turns out he got my number from my cousin who never puts people's surnames into his phone so he had 5 numbers with my name and gave his pal mine by accident. Gave my cousin a bit of flack for trying to ruin my marriage. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Actually they do, Iv had someone blocked before

Hmm, O2 wouldn't do it for me, they told me to go to the Gardai. What network are you with?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

shellyboo wrote: »
    Hmm, O2 wouldn't do it for me, they told me to go to the Gardai. What network are you with?

Yeah me too, been trying to get someone blocked for a year or so now. Asked the gardai and all they'll do is have a talk with him to get him to stop, but knowing him, it'll only increase the frequency. In the end I got a friend of his to have a chat with him, has worked so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

:confused: I keep have rung 3 to tell them to **** off but their staff can't speak english. :rolleyes:

Oh the irony....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭nevershutsup

i got one before from this guy at 7am one morning, asking me was i so and so... and that he is sorry he hasnt been in touch but his phone got stolen and he is texting me so early but he had to open up his shop... he wants what he and so and so had again...

i repeatedly told him i was not this girl and go away im sleeping...

then i got an oh im sorry so how are you?..

he soon wouldn't leave me alone and repeatedly texting me perverted messages....even let slip that he was sorry to so and so as his wife was getting suspicious and couldn't get in touch as he hadn't got her number saved anywhere...

ignore them they soon give up...

Advertisement