Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dixons charging my credit card

Options
  • 20-04-2009 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I bought a camera last nov in airport store DIXONS STANSTED on 17/10/2008 .

I did not ask for or sign up for an insurance or any other after sales service when I bought the camera as I don't live in the UK and know these services are never any good .

I have now received 2 charges on my visa card

17/03/2009 17/03/2009 PRODUCT SUPPORT AG 0844 800 6080 €3.34

17/04/2009 17/04/2009 PRODUCT SUPPORT AG 0844 800 6080 €3.48

I have emailed ( dixonswebsales@dixons.co.uk , dixonswebsales@dixons.co.uk ) and tried to ring 0044844 800 6080 which I never get through to .

Has this ever happened to anyone else or of a number I can ring to ask these guys why I'm getting charged this .

Regards

Alan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Ozeire wrote: »
    Hi guys

I did not ask for or sign up for an insurance or any other after sales service when I bought the camera as I don't live in the UK and know these services are never any good .

I have emailed ( dixonswebsales@dixons.co.uk , dixonswebsales@dixons.co.uk ) and tried to ring 0044844 800 6080 which I never get through to .

Has this ever happened to anyone else or of a number I can ring to ask these guys why I'm getting charged this .

Regards

Alan

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=691469

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Contact your credit card provider, they may be able to do a 'chargeback' and claim these amounts back from you. They should also be able to cancel any direct debits set up on your credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Toots85 wrote: »
    Contact your credit card provider, they may be able to do a 'chargeback' and claim these amounts back from you. They should also be able to cancel any direct debits set up on your credit card.
    My understanding is that you can't setup a DD on a credit card and that it's simply the company requesting payments each month or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Hi guys

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

It looks like they have put you down for their insurance programme. If you give this number a ring 0844 561 1111, they should be able to help you. You might not get all of your money back, but just ask to speak to a supervisor if they won't help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Random wrote: »
    My understanding is that you can't setup a DD on a credit card and that it's simply the company requesting payments each month or whatever?
    Not exactly Direct Debits. they're called authorised subscriptions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

preilly79 wrote: »
    Not exactly Direct Debits. they're called authorised subscriptions.
    but according to the op they are not authorised:(

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Just been onto MBNA again and explained to them i have not been able to contact the company who are charging my card . They said they can't stop the charge i need to get this company to do it .

They got me through to the company . I explained to them that i bought the camera in DIXONS STANSTED and i dodn't ask for any aftersale service or insurance at all . I remember this because i was flying home and knew i would need any of there after sales service . The manufactures warranty would do me fine .

The guy on the phone said he had a signed support Agreement . Funny i said because i have never signed one . I asked him to fax this aggrement to me and gave him my number .

I think I caught him on the hop because there was slience and then he said

" I will have to look for the aggrement and fax it to you "

"Ok i'll wait for that i said . I want you to cancel the so called agreement now . "

He told me that he couldn't as it's in my wifes name . If he doesn't have the aggrement there how does he know its in my wifes name .

So I got a phone number off him that i can ring back . Just sent them a few more emails requesting a copy of the aggrement and will ring them back again to see where it is .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So I got a phone number off him that i can ring back . Just sent them a few more emails requesting a copy of the aggrement and will ring them back again to see where it is .

If they get snotty about giving you this agreement say you'll make a Data Info Request for it if they refuse to fax it to you...ask them for details of how you can make a Data Info Request for info Dixons Groups hold on you under the Data Protection Act 1998 (UK law).

Also I'm curious, they say your wife signed it....is the payment method in her name because if it isn't she's not authorized to give them permission to debit the payment method for ANY fee's.

Rang through to Mastercare Cover Plan number 018781620

They put me onto Dixons Support

He said he could see no record any converstion I just had with the last person & i wasn't able to tell him what dept he was as MBNA had put me through . He said that they didn't have access to the Agreement and i would have to either go back to the shop or email them at dixonswebsales@dixons.co.uk, coverplan@dixons.co.uk

Told him i was in the west of Ireland so going back to the shop was out of the question.

I have sent off an email to dixonswebsales@dixons.co.uk, coverplan@dixons.co.uk have to see if that will do any good .

No i have got the number for the shop in Stansted Airport which i am going to ring . See if i can get any thing out of them .

I'm getting the run around here .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Call MBNA, and tell them you want to cancel your credit card, and open a new credit card account, because Dixons are charging your card without authorisation.

Ring Dixons - ask how come they say it is in your wife's name and yet it is being charged to your credit card.

The quickest way to stop future charges if the MBNA route of cancelling your card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

Paulw wrote: »
    Call MBNA, and tell them you want to cancel your credit card, and open a new credit card account, because Dixons are charging your card without authorisation.

Ring Dixons - ask how come they say it is in your wife's name and yet it is being charged to your credit card.

The quickest way to stop future charges if the MBNA route of cancelling your card.

as far as i remember cancelling your card won't necessarily stop the charges. a recurring charge like this one isn't the same as a purchase.

i have a friend who still works in MBNA - i can ask her if you like. there is a specific dept that deals with this stuff but i can't for the life of me remember the name of it. i think it used to be called ''BACS''.:confused:

basically you have the right to get a copy of the agreement that dixons claim you or your wife signed. get the name and note the times you speak to EVERYONE concerned. every MBNA staff member log the details of every call on your account so you will have that to fall back on if there's any doubt of when you contacted them, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

artyeva wrote: »
    as far as i remember cancelling your card won't necessarily stop the charges. a recurring charge like this one isn't the same as a purchase.

Not cancelling the card, cancel the whole account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

Paulw wrote: »
    Not cancelling the card, cancel the whole account.

ah ok, sorry, i misread that. :o

if you cancel the card only any recurring charges just go automatically onto the new card number.

if the OP wants to cancel the whole account and open a new one then dixons can't charge the new account (AFAIK), but of course he will have to pay off the balance that's on it in full first.

if he just puts into writing to MBNA that these charges aren't authorised though they have to investigate. keep copies of all letters of course!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

artyeva wrote: »
    ah ok, sorry, i misread that. :o

if you cancel the card only any recurring charges just go automatically onto the new card number.

if the OP wants to cancel the whole account and open a new one then dixons can't charge the new account (AFAIK), but of course he will have to pay off the balance that's on it in full first.

if he just puts into writing to MBNA that these charges aren't authorised though they have to investigate. keep copies of all letters of course!!

I was quite surprised at MBNA's attitude as described here - surely the customer should be the one in charge of their own account.

I would agree that you should make a complaint in writing to MBNA not only about Dixon's behaviour but also your own concern's about MBNA. Surely MBNA must have a formal complaints procedure for customers.

You should also contact IPSO who look after the card service in Ireland and ask them what your rights are (www.ipso.ie)

They are newspapers in England who have consumer columns dealing with such matters - certainly the Observer has a good one and you could inform Dixon's that you have forwarded full details of their behaviour to them.

Just an example: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/apr/05/consumer-affairs2

Hey Guys

Have sent a few emails now to

dixonscustomerservices@dixons.co.uk,
    customerservices@dixons.co.uk,
    Coverplan@dsgiplc.com

Asking them to get back to me with proof of this Agreement we are supposed to have signed . That I want this so called agreement cancled and my money refuned . I have heard noting back from any of them .

Have just been back onto MasterCare again 018781620 to cancel this bloody agreement that we never took out in the first place .

Since my wife bought the camera they keep telling me that she needs to ring to cancel it . They are doing my head in .

When i ask them to fax me proof of the signed agreement . They tell me i would have to get onto the Shop at the Airport. Its not up to me to prove i didn't sign any agreement . Its up to them to prove I did .

I am going to ring back to MBNA and wirte to them as well to compalin about this . The last time someone tried this on me MBNA backed me refuned my money and went after the company . Looks like this might be the only way to do it again .

Advertisement