Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing Broadband via homeplugs

• 20-04-2009 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had any experiance with sharing broadband over homeplugs between 2 houses? I have a house (detatched) near me and I am wondering since we are off the same esb pole would the homeplug work between the 2 house?
    Researchign this via google it says it may work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

However if it does, you are polluting the Airwaves. Homeplugs are sold via a loophole in the law and are wide band transmitters up to 30MHz.

The signal is supposed to only be in your own house wiring. Note that also there are Three phases and the neighbouring house should normally be on a different phase, which would prevent it working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

I doubt it would work, the plugs need to be on the same ring circuit and they'll only have abut 200 meter range. Setting up a wireless link between the houses would be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Magzr

In a nutshell, homeplugs will not pass through an isolation transformer of any sort. Example would be a surge protector.
    Of course, the biggest isolation transformer in any house is your meter. And then your neighbours.

Answer is a flat no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Magzr wrote: »
    In a nutshell, homeplugs will not pass through an isolation transformer of any sort. Example would be a surge protector.
    Of course, the biggest isolation transformer in any house is your meter. And then your neighbours.

Answer is a flat no.

That's what I've always though, and have read some stories about it not working within a household, due to differing socket rings, but wouldn't be 100% sure on it. For house to house, I'd say more than likely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

Of course there is nothing to prevent you from using a 50m or 100m extension cable and running it from one house to the other! If you run it up the ESB or telephone pole you would probably have to get permission first :) If the house is your neighbour next door then the task becomes so much easier. I have shared my broadband with my next door neighbour this way and put a wireless homeplug adapter on the end of the extension cable. But only a temporary solution to demonstrate the concept. They can pay for their own broadband! Good for gaming though ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Magzr wrote: »

Answer is a flat no.

A surge protector has capacitors, inductors and MOVs. This badly affects home plug. It provides no isolation nor has a transformer.

The main ELCB (trip) has some coils to detect imbalance in live and neutral currents. It may somewhat reduce homeplug. It is not a transformer and provides no isolation.

The meter is in two main types. mechanical or electronic. Both have very small coils to measure current. It may somewhat reduce homeplug, but provides no isolation and is not a transformer.

The Homeplug is most limited by wiring distance and is pretty poor beyond 100m. The next house on the same circuit as you is likely more than 200m away as the houses are alternately on different supplies corresponding to the three phases.

A 7dB directional aerial fitted on a pair of wireless bridges or even ordinary WiFi will work better.

http://www.solwise.ie/wireless-outdoor-bridging-5.htm
    http://www.solwise.ie/wireless-outdoor-bridging-24.htm

Outdoor 5KHz bridges are licence free but may need to be registered. The 2.4Ghz bridges don't need registered. Go for lowest gain aerial. The higher gain aerials to each other will do 5km. (8km on a pair of 26dB MMDS dishes)

Or just try a pair of ordinary WiFi out of Argos, Tesco, Maplin that have a Bridge (or game console mode). Or regular WiFi point in one house and ordinary WiFi on laptop in the other.

In limerick my laptop can see two or three neighbours and in Dublin I could see more than 16.

Do use WPA or WPA2 PSK (AES not TKIP) and a long random key.

NEVER run a mains cable or un-isolated cable between two properties. The difference between two phases can be 440V an the "neutrals" may be at different voltages.

Run a CAT5e screened cable (screen to metal plug on earthed patch or switch at one end only, other end plastic RJ45.) It can do 1Gbps at 100m and a small 4 port switch powered by POE can be in a weatherproof box in the middle to act as a repeater to have 200m. Ordinary ethernet RJ45 ports have isolation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

dragging up an old thred,
    but has anyone tried the home plugs between a house next door,
    or if not is it safe to run 50-60 of etheret cable to house next door,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

GY A1 wrote: »
    dragging up an old thred,
    but has anyone tried the home plugs between a house next door,
    or if not is it safe to run 50-60 of etheret cable to house next door,

The solution is directly above your post. Watty has described all you need to know.

Advertisement