Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on getting a deposit back

• 20-04-2009 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm having a few issues with my landlady and am hoping somebody can help. I've scoured the place for advice but it's a more unusual situation than normal and I can't find anything comparative. Basically my landlady is kicking me out the end of May. She lives with me and is moving her husband in when they get married in June. Problem is I've found a place which I have to move into over the May bank holiday weekend (4 weeks before she had planned that I move out) and she is saying I still need to give her notice to move out and that I will not get my deposit back if I move out that weekend. Basically she wants the month's rent that she had planned on getting. I feel that's pretty unfair and that I shouldn't have to give notice if notice has already been served on me but I can't find anything to support me. If anybody could help it would be gratefully received.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

As you are a licencee rather than a tenant (under the rent a room scheme) the landlady is not entitled to hold your deposit. However, 2 weeks notice is very short.

Here's what citizens information says http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/owning-a-home/home-owners/rent_a_room_scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭elainers

Thanks for your reply. I had actually seen the citizen's information before. However it conflicts with other information out there and doesn't cover the fact that she's already given me notice. I'm not moving out in this situation with no warning - I am being moved out on the 31st of May anyway, she is trying to keep my deposit if I move out 4 weeks before the date she had planned for me to move out. But thanks anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

You need to give "reasonable notice" which is a very subjective thing. I would think in your situation that 2 weeks is reasonable notice.

Advertisement