Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I never thought I'd say it but I joined a gym!

Options
  • 20-04-2009 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

I joined up a few weeks ago to a relatively small gym - it's attached to a local 4* hotel and it's nice and quiet - I would have been too intimidated to join a bigger busier one. Also it has a swimming pool which is a must for me - I really enjoy swimming although I am not at all good at it.

Up until today I have just been using the pool, a couple of times a week but I contacted the personal trainer and had my gym induction and initial assessment today. Well... lol is all I can say, it was pretty mortifying. He asked on a scale of 1-20 what I thought my fitness was and I decided 3 would be a safe guess (I think I overestimated!). I said my main aim was weight loss, having already lost 2 stone with WW I now want to incorporate exercise into my healthier lifestyle. He was really lovely, and we had a bit of a chat so I felt a bit more at ease - he said we would concentrate on cardio for the first few weeks just to get my baseline fitness improved.

So started off well with a warm-up on the exercise bike - had to keep above 70 RPM and we had it set to a program which included hills. Was able to keep to it no problem and heart rate stayed around 155/160 ish. Then tried the cross-trainer but I absolutely hated it - didn't like the way it felt, the way I felt on it or anything so he suggested I increase my time on the bike instead. Then set me up on the treadmill - disaster! Speed was ok but the program he selected had too high a gradient so I had to stop after 5 minutes feeling queasy and a bit light-headed. Partly my own fault - didn't have any water with me and mouth was as dry as sandpaper. Heaert rate had gone up to 180 so I decided to call it a day. He was really nice about it all even though I was cringing terribly and we've set up an appointment for 5 weeks away - in the meantime I'm going to try and build up to 20 mins on the bike and then 40 mins on the treadmill at a lower gradient but the same speed.

Fingers crossed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I used to love the bike - but my local gym suggested swapping that out for the elliptical trainer - yes it takes some getting used to but now I am finding that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Spent 15 minutes on the bike keeping it over 70 RPM at the same program with two big hills, felt great after it as opposed to the first time, not sure why!

Then 15 minutes on the treadmill - speed 3.2 and at a pre-set cross-country program but at the end I did have to manually decrease the incline as it was getting too much for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I went to the gym on my own today (not with my mam like I usually do) so wasn't under any time constraints. I did 20 mins warm-up on the bike, same program as usual. 30 minutes on the treadmill at 3.0 speed on the same program as last time and didn't need to reduce it until after 25 minutes.

I brought earphones today and watched Hells Kitchen and Coronation St and the time went sooo much quicker!

edit: I finished off with 10 lengths of the pool

Advertisement