Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spraying Deck

Options
  • 20-04-2009 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

We got a deck installed 2 years ago & I sprayed it at the time with Cuprinol deck stain. I never got to do it last year as the weather was so bad so it badly needs to be done now.

Just looking in B&Q today I noticed that the stain is now €46 for a 3ltr tub, whereas a larger tub of fence stain only costs about €11. What would happen if I used the fence stain? Even if it only lasted a few months it would still work out cheaper than the deck version.

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Brian, I've been using that rubbish Cuprinol/Ronseal decking stain for a few years and to be honest I am hating the day I started...

Don't even consider the fence life stuff.

You need an oil based deck stain to get the best out of it. I have to go ahead now and strip back all the existing deck stain.

I plan to put Sikkens base coat on first and then the light oak stain. Check the tin and if it has a high VOC content then you know its oil based.

Waste of time putting water based products on outside wood IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I used deck oil I herd this is all I need. By all means correct me if i am wrong. Can you not just out deckin oil over the stain?

This is a weak area for me so I would also appreciate advice~!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

What are the advantages of decking oil over decking stain? I have cleaned our decking off and am going to start the process of either over the coming days. It has been down a few years at this stage so has weathered and faded quite a bit so I had considered Ronseal decking stain. The deck itself is a Ronseal ready made Vermont deck which is (was) cedar in colour.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

The decking stains are usually water based. From using them the last few yrs I wouldn't recommend them. Use an oil instead as it soaks into the wood. The stain just puts a film on it that will eventually peel off

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I used Jupex 45 which is Tung oil in a linseed oil base, Tung oil penetrates wood very well as long as it is dry, and preserves wood very well, I mixed some brown pigment into it to make it a nut brown colour.
    It worked very well, it doesn't wear off like those cheap deck paints as it is actually in the wood.
    I sanded the whole deck with a fine grade sandpaper and then oiled it.
    Time consuming and a little arduous but worth the effort IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement