Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Show C&C

• 20-04-2009 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭

Took some shots at the ALMC Car Show yesterday and would like some C&C on them so I can improve. Any suggestions for PP would be appreciated as I have no clue on photoshop.
    61D507EB29414096989ABC4E2F505BEE-800.jpg

040114F2C84F4FFA82B58ECC05CF2C20-800.jpg

6F5345F273A64693A79EA73D4B33D9F0-800.jpg

A7E30D72DD344EA586696EBAE51A2B28-800.jpg

86588DDBC55344BE9CB44789A71CD5D9-800.jpg

D5AF44EB62A54A998D29CDF71F2CD6BE-800.jpg

CAB1F02A652B4FD4B6157979E920B358-800.jpg

DD928EC070274AA3AAE9CA1131B7E976-800.jpg

16F4C5DEF4D14CDB86927FABA23240AC-800.jpg

32872326831A42509F9F082E52FF5951-800.jpg

Sorry for so many lol
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The guy standing in the shot in no.7 really distracts the attention away from the main subject (the car).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Yeah I really should have waited for him to move out of the way.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

You need to get lower down I think. You took those photographs from eye level.

I'd advise getting down lower, knees for examples. Bring the camera down and shoot from a different angle rather than shooting down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Is it just my monitor or are the colours not very good? Colours seem abit bland to me. I have the same issue with my photos at the moment aswell and I don't know what it is.

I have the issue with the two lenses I own - Sigma 10 20 and Canon 50mm 1.8. At the moment I'm thinking it may be just that my lenses aren't of the highest quality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gorilla_image

Hi, I shoot a fair amount of cars (sometimes at car shows) here are a few tips I've picked up in the last 18 months or so. I was also at the ALMC Car Show yesterday. There were acouple of beuties there yesterday I hope pointers help.

1. Invest in a circular polarising filter, this allows you to control the reflections more.
    3. Try using a long focal lenght from a distance. This causes less distorion of the shape of car (not always possible at crowded shows). you did this in you shot of the Porshe, that shot would have been brilliant had you been really low.
    2. People at car shows are realy hard to avoid. waiting doesn't always solve the problem. a guy could walk out of shot then 3 people walk in. Very frustrating! People aren't looking out for photogs, they drooling over cars. Using an ultra wide lens (eg. Sigma 10-20mm) will allow you to get close and cut people out, this however will cause severe distortion, but you could use that artistically by experimenting with angles.
    3. Distracting people and backgrounds can be removed with a low perspective. I've often shot lying on my belly or with the camera right on the ground. (this would have worked well in the porshe shot)
    4. Cars are bright, not like people or landscapes, so don't be afraid to set your camera to 'vivid' if you shoot raw you can always undo this in PP.
    5. Arrive early- less people, better light.
    6. On a bright day like yesterday, you could use a hotshoe mounted speedlight to reduce the harsh contrast, and by using it off-camera you could even shoot into the light with good effect.
    7. If you have a decent lens set the aperture very wide, this wll reduce the depth of field and blur the background even more.
    8. on less bright days or at indoor shows bring your tripod, you could use a slow shutter speed to blur the people. quite a cool effect.
    9. Don't always fill the frame with the car, if you look at advertising shots of cars - very seldom do they fill the frame.
    10. look at car advertising shots, magazines and the web and try to reverse engineer the shots you like...

Good luck,

gorilla_image

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Thanks very much for the tips gorilla_image.
    Going low seems to be the name of the game with car shots then. I did go low in this shot of the R8 and it did give an interesting angle its just a pity there was a guy lying on the wing :)
    AC9EB34597D1481F9DB2FB5BB1FDB01F-800.jpg

I will try and use those tips in future. Going to a local rally this weekend but its a different ball game altogether.

btw have you a link to any of the photos you took on Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

A bit of hdr a single file conversion maybe using dynamic photo hdr would put a bit of oomph on the EVO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

I like #1 #4 and the last one

my tips: get lower down, closer, use wide angle, look for reflections / details, clear the background, use shallower DOF

Advertisement