Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to set up the wired guitar controller to play on pc?

Options
  • 20-04-2009 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi

I have bought a Wired guitar controller for x-box 360 and thought it would work on the pc?
    But after i plug it in, it recongnise the device but as me for the driver and i have searched it on the internet eventually found the driver, but it's still not working.
    Anybody knew how to set this up?
    Any advice is appericiated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

tommyjin83 wrote: »
    Hi

I have bought a Wired guitar controller for x-box 360 and thought it would work on the pc?
    But after i plug it in, it recongnise the device but as me for the driver and i have searched it on the internet eventually found the driver, but it's still not working.
    Anybody knew how to set this up?
    Any advice is appericiated.

You're not giving us a lot to go on here.
    I'm guessing you're running on windows XP, because Vista has a built in driver for 360 controllers.

Microsoft have a driver for the 360 controller on their website, there's a couple of unofficial ones floating around too. Do a google search for it and you should come up trumps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭tommyjin83

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    You're not giving us a lot to go on here.
    I'm guessing you're running on windows XP, because Vista has a built in driver for 360 controllers.

Microsoft have a driver for the 360 controller on their website, there's a couple of unofficial ones floating around too. Do a google search for it and you should come up trumps. :)

Thanks for the advice, i was running it form a XP, and i found the driver which was required for the controller(Xinput Driver for Microsoft Common Controller (32 Bit). At least i think this is the one, then i opened the device manage-right click on x-box 360 controller to uninstal it, then i click on add hardware, the guitar controller was then found, then i choose update the driver from a list/specific file. And the driver was updating and all, suddenly this error message came up"WdfCoInstaller01005.dll file can not be found from the specified file or something like that".
    So now i am stuck in here what should i do?:confused:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I'm on XP and mine worked from the get go. Silly question perhaps, but do you have service pack 3? I'm pretty sure that included the necessary drivers.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I'm on XP and mine worked from the get go. Silly question perhaps, but do you have service pack 3? I'm pretty sure that included the necessary drivers.

I don't think mine got service pack 3.
    Is this service pack something i can download and just instal it to update my existing service pack?
    Or how do you check you exsiting service pack? :confused:

Anybody could help before i decide to bring that back to argos?:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

try running a windows update, or just give a look on the windows site for SP3

Recon wrote: »
    try running a windows update, or just give a look on the windows site for SP3

Thanks, i'll do that when i get home. Finger crossed.

You're welcome, post back if it works.

If that's not doing the job, if you do a search for windows xp on the microsoft website, service pack 3 will be one of the first options available for download. It's a tad bulky (about 400mb i think), but it should take care of the issue. :)

You'll need to reboot your PC when the updates install, then when you do so, if you click on start, run and type in winver and press enter, it will tell you which version of windows you're running on, as well as the service pack is installed.

Good luck.

I think i'm going to give up. Just tried every possible ways to fix this, ie: download the sp3 and Microsoft Common Controller 32bit which is for x-box controller.
    And keep getting this message "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)
    Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.":(:(

• Advertisement

Did you get SP3 to work? This one?

Did you get SP3 to work? This one?

Yes, i got that,ah it's alrit. Think i'll just get the guitar hero bundle on ps3 now, it will be 60 euro tho, ah my pocket.....:(

Yes, i got that,ah it's alrit. Think i'll just get the guitar hero bundle on ps3 now, it will be 60 euro tho, ah my pocket.....:(

*cough* any chance you'd like it on the Wii!?! :)

See my sig :)

Recon wrote: »
    *cough* any chance you'd like it on the Wii!?! :)

See my sig :)

Havn't got a wii......but thanks:)

GH2 for the 360 (not sure about the PS3) is 40 euro at the moment in Smyths. Much better than GH3. And cheaper... With a better guitar... and better songs... and a better feel... and a better dev :pac:

You must be joking. That wired contrller is terrible, the whammy bar dies after ten minutes of playing and feels like a fisher price toy, rotfl!

RED GIBSON GH2 FTW etc. Well I had the Red Gibson, and it's my favourite one. The Rock Band guitar's lack of click is so off putting, my scores are appalling on it. Is the 360 GH2 one like the PS2 one?

What's your play guitar of choice? Question is open to the floor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭RobbieMc

I bought the 360 wired controller to complement my ps2 GH wireless one.
    I'm running Vista and ir worked off the bat.
    Works great with Frets on Fire.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908888

http://redcl0ud.1.forumer.com/index.php?act=SC&c=2

Might get more info here.

Robbie

What's your play guitar of choice? Question is open to the floor

This one! It has yet to fail me and my playing has improved ever since I got it.
    ghwtguitar.jpg

Hmmm... What's the strummer like. Is it GH2 or GH3-esque?

• Advertisement
Advertisement