Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Arsenal Sky Sports 1 8:00 Tuesday 21st

• 20-04-2009 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Any continuation of the trolling and sniping that marred the superthreads and individual matchthreads over the weekend will result in severe censure. If you cannot participate in mature discussion then stay out of this thread, or risk infraction/ban

Any discussion of this warning on-thread will be deleted and users risk infraction

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Looking forward to this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

We have Sagna back.
    But we've lost Adebayor and RVP to injury so I'm going to see goals hard to come by unless Eduardo has a very good game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Eduardo scares the pants off me tbh.

Just a note, there is going to be a massive tribute to Ray Kennedy from both the Arsenal & Liverpool fans before the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Can see this being surprisingly comfortable for Liverpool. 1 week break for Liverpool combined with that awful Wembley pitch for Arsenal should take it's toll.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ya, that tribute should be good. He was a good servant to both clubs.

I hope we can keep our good form going in this game, and Adabeyor and RVP being out is a good thing, but we are still missing Gerrard unfortunately.

It will be a good game hopefully between two in form teams, but we have a good record against Arsenal at home in the league so hopefully we can continue that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Given the strength of Arsenal's squad up front, van Persie and Adebayor are two injuries they could probably afford moreso than in other areas. They could play Nasri and Walcott on each wing and have Eduardo and Arshavin up front, that's not a bad front 2.

The thing is, they won't do that. Bendtner will play. Maybe even a 4-5-1 but Arsenal have nothing to lose really, they should really be going to try and win the game.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Can see this being surprisingly comfortable for Liverpool. 1 week break for Liverpool combined with that awful Wembley pitch for Arsenal should take it's toll.

arsenal are never a pushover in fairness and are on a great run in the league

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Im hoping Wenger goes with a 4-4-2 for this one, glad to see gerrard out for this aswell!

Would settle for a draw before kick-off.

Im not to concerned about the match tbh, i feel 4th place will be secured this season, I just want to see the defence get back to some normality before the CL game.

Fabianski

Sagna---Toure---Silvestre---Gibbs

Walcott---Song---Fabregras---Arshavin

Eduardo---Bendtner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Massive game for us. Must win game, it could really define our season. Of our remaining fixtures this certainly looks like the toughest. So if we get a win here it will be a massive step towards taking the maximum points I feel we will probably need to win the Premiership.

Not quite so massive a game for Arsenal. I can't see them losing 4th so their priority is obviously the Champions League at the moment. And they are missing RVP and Adebayor which makes up for the loss of Gerrard. Arsenal's defence is also severely hampered at the moment. I'm hoping all these factors will play to our advantage.

Having said that I still expect a tough game and there are plenty of other attacking threats to worry about - Nasri, Euardo and Arshavin were all left on the bench against Chelsea, and Walcott looks like hes bang on form at the moment. Aurelio isn't the paciest so he might cause us big problems. However I think we all know that Arsenal's main man is Fabregas, he is a bit like our Alonso or Gerrard - the playmaker. If we can stop him, and give him little time on the ball, then I think we can stop Arsenal's dangerous passing game. Luckily we have one of the best in the world at performing this role in Mascherano, and I think he will be told to stick tight on Fabregas whenever he gets the ball (although I think this may depend on how high up the pitch Fabregas plays. He was in a very advanced role against Chelsea, but usually is more effective slightly deeper). Really think this could be a key battle.

I'll go for 2-1 to Liverpool for a prediction as I feel we have goals in us even without Gerrard. But any win will do of course!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

As I said in the Arsenal thread I'd like to see Sagna partner Toure at CB. The thought of us playing a high line with Silvestre against Torres makes me shiver.

Gerrard is a big loss for Liverpool though and I'd fancy our chances if Wenger goes with a central trio of Song, Fabregas and Nasri. Leave Nasri in the hole to occupy Mascherano and let Song and Fabregas take on Lucas and Alonso. Roaming front three of Arshavin, Walcott, Eduardo/Bendtner, and Gibbs and Eboue providing width whenever they can.

My faith in Wenger doing any of this is pretty low at the moment though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Is Almunia injured? Cause Fabianski was terrible on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

A7X wrote: »
    Is Flamini ( i think that's his name) injured? Cause Fabianski was terrible on Saturday.

:)

its Almunia

idk where you got Flamini from

he's at AC Milan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Our hardest game of the season IMO. If the players view it in the same light we will win. 3-1 to the reds

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Flamini in goal! Wouldn't put it past Wenger...

Almunia won't be back until the weekend I think. Have to hope that Fabianski regains his mojo and puts in a performance that is more Villarreal than Chelsea.

gerrard will be a big miss so im going for a 1-1

my man Benayoun will probly get a game

so ill be putting money on him

Headshot wrote: »
    :)

its Almunia

idk where you got Flamini from

he's at AC Milan

Ha yeah i know. I rememberd and then tried to change it before anyone noticed but alas... :o

gerrard will be a big miss so im going for a 1-1

my man Benayoun will probly get a game

so ill be putting money on him

you and Benni an item? :p

rarnes1 wrote: »
    you and Benni an item? :p

if a man wins me 400 euro,what can you do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Should be a fun one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Looking at that Arsenal lineup, I am extremely worried!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Hopefully a good match I would settle for the same scoreline of this match as 20 years ago.

Have a feeling it will be a score draw. Id take that. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

With Gerrard out it will put a lot of pressure on Torres. Can see the gunners sneaking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Arsenal need to take advantage of Gerrard being out this match. Liverpool on a good scoring streak though.1-1 or Arsenal to snatch a late win.Is Gerrard out for 2 games with injury now? Or just this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

dunno what to make of this really. Arsenal showed how vulnerable they are on Saturday so i haven't much faith in them to get anything out of this match. But Toure always does well against Torres, and Liverpool always look a bit out of sorts without Gerrard...

for reasons that make little sense i'll go with a 0-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'm extremely worried about this match ending 1-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Meh, Masch and Skrtel to remind the Gunners they're in a game in the first two mins and I see no probs. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'm nervous, but get the feeling my nerves will be eased in the first few minutes.

We have an almost full strenght team, and while nobody will argue that Gerrard isn't a massive loss, we've scored 8 goals in our last 2 games without him.
    I can see Agger starting, as if he pushes forward, it's almost like another CM, to counter Aresnals passing game.
    Insua has more pace than Aurelio, so I can see him on the left.

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carra
    Agger
    Insua

Masch
    Alonso

Dirk
    Benni
    Riera

Nando

It's either that or swap Lucas for Riera, and put Benni on the left.

I can see 2-0 or 2-1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

hopefully it will be a good match. arsenal - pool are normally great ones tho so not too worried there.
    think we can win this. need mascherano and alonso to be on form. i dont think lucas can keep up with fabregas and that would cause a lot of problems
    walcott will be pivotal for ARENTenal (yes i know its a lame name :p )

pool should be-
    reina
    arbeloa
    carragher
    skrtel
    aurelio
    mascherano
    alonso
    reira
    kuyt
    yossi
    torres

need our strongest lineup for this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this is a huge game.

i suspect...
    Pep
    Arbeloa
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Insua
    Masch
    Alonso

Dirk
    Benny
    Riera

Nando
    In particular, we need Albert and Benny to show up big time creatively. Nando, if really up for it, should be able to scare the life out of their backline given the right service. As long as we have Masch at his snarling best I think we'll be ok. We'll have to keep a watchful eye on Arshavin though. He's very direct, therefore he will be a particular threat amongst the pretty football that Arsenal will attempt to play.

As many on here I'm fearful of a 1-1, but i'm gona stick my neck out and say 3-1. Dirk and Benny with the first two, Walcott with a reply, Nando with another to end it.

Looking forward to it though, despite all the nerves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Right gents after all the bickering and micky measuring, a Tuesday in April see a potentially great night of entertainment, it really makes the week so easier to bare when you have matches like this and tom eve to look forward to.

Adeybayor is a huge loss for the Arse, personally I think he is marginally the best striker in the league, has his mental problems but which players don't?

Liverpool for me are favourites, nearly a full squad, Gerrard missing isn't a complete disaster as they have proved on numerous occasions without him this season. Plus they have just had a week off.

My head says the Scouse, but I would not rule out an Arsenal upset, they have been playing some excellent stuff recently.

If I were putting money on it will go for a repeat of last season 1-1, with the Arse having the majority of possession, while the scouse have the better chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

SlickRic wrote: »
    this is a huge game.

i suspect...
    Pep
    Arbeloa
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Insua
    Masch
    Alonso

Dirk
    Benny
    Riera

Nando
    In particular, we need Albert and Benny to show up big time creatively. Nando, if really up for it, should be able to scare the life out of their backline given the right service. As long as we have Masch at his snarling best I think we'll be ok. We'll have to keep a watchful eye on Arshavin though. He's very direct, therefore he will be a particular threat amongst the pretty football that Arsenal will attempt to play.

As many on here I'm fearful of a 1-1, but i'm gona stick my neck out and say 3-1. Dirk and Benny with the first two, Walcott with a reply, Nando with another to end it.

Looking forward to it though, despite all the nerves.

i like your optimism!
    i fear the threat of walcot's pace, other than him i think we have the beating of them. As you said i'm looking at bennin and riera to create plenty of chances for nando.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

Tbh I'd prefer if Adeybayor was playing instead of Eduardo, he is genuinely hungry atm and he (Eduardo) may just play well with Bendtner. RVP is a big loss for Arsenal but they still have a strong team and have been playing very well lately.

Without Stevie I can still see us push but the three behind Nando have to have big performances. I don't really see us have to many problems defensively so I feel it will rest with the four guys furthest up the field for us. We do however have to be carful of being caught on the break which we know Arsenal are very good at.

I can see this being really tight unfortunately with a 1-0 or 1-1 scoreline and a tense affair throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Reina
    Arbeloa
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Aurelio
    Masch
    Lucas

Alonso
    ----Kuyt
    Yossi

Torres

This is what I feel Rafa will go with.

I feel Pool will sneak this one with RVP and Adabayour out but more so with Fabianski in goal. He looked very dodgy at the weekend. Gerrard missing is obviously a huge blow but should have enough to win without him.....hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Im thinking of laying a bet, 3-1 to Arsenal. I dont hugely expect an Arsenal victory, but I think if it is an Arsenal victory, it'll be by that sort of score :)

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    Im thinking of laying a bet, 3-1 to Arsenal. I dont hugely expect an Arsenal victory, but I think if it is an Arsenal victory, it'll be by that sort of score :)

mad man PHB

you can get odds @ 4-1 on a Arsenal win thou

cool_6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

SWAR wrote: »

Reina
    Arbeloa
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Aurelio
    Masch
    Lucas

Alonso
    ----Kuyt
    Yossi

Torres

This is what I feel Rafa will go with.

I feel Pool will sneak this one with RVP and Adabayour out but more so with Fabianski in goal. He looked very dodgy at the weekend. Gerrard missing is obviously a huge blow but should have enough to win without him.....hopefully!
    More likely to have Lucas in Alonso's spot. He did alright there v Chelsea but I'd rather give Yossi the chance to play off Torres and stick Riera out wide.

PiE wrote: »
    More likely to have Lucas in Alonso's spot. He did alright there v Chelsea but I'd rather give Yossi the chance to play off Torres and stick Riera out wide.

I agree what you say about Yossi but I don't think Rafa will start with Riera and Yossi (hope I'm wrong). Ye Lucas did OK against Chelsea in that spot but if Rafa starts with Masch, Lucas and Alonso, personally I would rather see Alonso closer to Torres than Lucas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

mad man PHB

you can get odds @ 4-1 on a Arsenal win thou

cool_6.jpg
    Jayzus Paddy Power really need to get a new graphics person, they're getting pretty shoite lately :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

i'm as nervous about this game as i think i've ever been for a Liverpool match. The kind of nervous that makes me completely unable to work all day.

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Mascherano
    Alonso

Lucas

Kuyt
    Riera

Torres

Bring Benny on after an hour. He's still more effective as an impact player. I think Mascherano will try to keep Fabregas quiet so Lucas and Alonso should play to ensure we always havve the numbers in midfield even when Masch is off following Cesc.

This game could go two ways i think.
    - Arsenal are just not up for it (why would they be) and Liverpool out-muscle them in midfield and score an early goal and go on to win

- Arsenal just go for it, play without fear and make things very difficult for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Bring Benny on after an hour. He's still more effective as an impact player. I think Mascherano will try to keep Fabregas quiet so Lucas and Alonso should play to ensure we always havve the numbers in midfield even when Masch is off following Cesc.

Agree 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just give me a repeat of last season champions league game and Anfield i.e a Liverpool win, i dont care if its a goal from a long ball by Reina and it hit Torres arse and hits the back of the net, 3 points if what matters at this stage of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Anyone know where I can watch the game online?

joker77 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can watch the game online?

justin.tv should have a few streams although they can be a bit crap at times...possibly iraqgoals.net...usually works ok for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

i'm as nervous about this game as i think i've ever been for a Liverpool match. The kind of nervous that makes me completely unable to work all day.

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Mascherano
    Alonso

Lucas

Kuyt
    Riera

Torres

This game could go two ways i think.
    - Arsenal are just not up for it (why would they be) and Liverpool out-muscle them in midfield and score an early goal and go on to win

- Arsenal just go for it, play without fear and make things very difficult for us.

Very nervous. Arsenal are missing alot of players though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

contrary to what others here are saying, i really think a win is vital full stop. a draw is basically useless. a draw puts no pressure on utd at all, and what we need to do is mount the pressure.

theoretically it wouldn't be over, but in reality coming back from merely a draw, unless portsmouth provide a miracle, it would be 95% over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just hoping Eduardo plays and shows some genius :)

contrary to what others here are saying, i really think a win is vital full stop. a draw is basically useless. a draw puts no pressure on utd at all, and what we need to do is mount the pressure.

theoretically it wouldn't be over, but in reality coming back from merely a draw, unless portsmouth provide a miracle, it would be 95% over.

Completely agree...a win is what's needed and nothing else will do IMO.

Our last few league results would of been expected by United players; however I'm sure they feel (and may even expect) Arsenal have enough to get at least a point out of this....and well they may; however a Liverpool win would really put it up to United tomorrow night. Although I'm not expecting anything but a United win on Wednesday night, a Liverpool win tonight may cause a few squeeky bum moments for them and who knows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

And for a Portsmouth miracle to mean anything, we need to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

We need a win. Simple as that IMO

• Advertisement
Advertisement