Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Arsenal Sky Sports 1 8:00 Tuesday 21st

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

sorry thought you's were on about tonight.
    Either way our goal was scored after 92 minutes and there can be no complaints. Same with Utds against Villa

I don't agree as i said earlier the impact on how you play out injury time has a huge baring on what time is allocated.

so in both cases it could have made a big difference if it was wrong

30 secs maybe the guidelines but it's not consistent like everything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Seriously entertaining game. But also very disappointing. I thought we were by FAR the better team in both halves and should have won by a couple of goals. The scoreline should have read Liverpool 4 - 4 Arsharvin. He was incredibly clinical.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Too bad classic matches like tonight's can't inspire classic match-threads. Sigh. :(
    Trilla wrote:
    The scoreline should have read Liverpool 4 - 4 Arsharvin. He was incredibly clinical.

Defo. He barely did much all first half - commentators even were writing him off as having 'one of those nights' when he scuffed the ball out for a goal kick. Then Bam, 4 goals and a bottle of champers. Credit where's due for those finishes.

i realised that. CHRIST ALMIGHTY!

I mean ridiculous assumption for me to make given the thread title, huh?

well 5starpool brought it up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Was just thinking how incredible football can be sometimes. 4 attempts at goal from Arshavin and 4 goals... Difference between taking your chances and not I guess. He got some speed though to latch onto Walcott's pass to score the first. Sensational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

ntlbell wrote: »
    I don't agree as i said earlier the impact on how you play out injury time has a huge baring on what time is allocated.

i don't see how - we were going all out attack and we would have been regardless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

some people.

he stated there wasn't enough goals scored or subs made to make up 5 mins against villa

IT IS NOT ONLY SUBS AND GOALS SCORED THAT MADE UP THE 5 MINUTES

THIS IS NOT A MATHEMATICAL BREAKTHROUGH

Yet you thought 5 minutes was too much tonight!

:pac:

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

i don't see how - we were going all out attack and we would have been regardless

You'll notice during any game there's two teams

liverpool were only one of them..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

im definitely voting ntlbell for best sig on boards. look at that thing... its huge!

after the game down in the pub i thought to myself "i bet the extra time will be a massive issue on boards and there will be tons of posts and words devoted to it when it doesnt really matter"

its up to the refs. they made the call

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Yet you thought 5 minutes was too much tonight!

:pac:

i never said it was too much did i?

i was wondering where 6 minutes in total came from...

You'll notice during any game there's two teams

liverpool were only one of them..

you'll also notice liverpool were in almost complete control of the game.

the flow of the match was almost constant:

pool attack
    pool attack
    pool attack
    pool attack
    pool attack
    Arsenal Goal
    pool attack
    pool attack
    pool attack
    pool attack
    pool attack
    Arsenal Goal

and so on

Jazzy wrote: »
    im definitely voting ntlbell for best sig on boards. look at that thing... its huge!

after the game down in the pub i thought to myself "i bet the extra time will be a massive issue on boards and there will be tons of posts and words devoted to it when it doesnt really matter"

its up to the refs. they made the call

if i try to make it smaller mr.alan gives out and accuses me off removing quotes

catch 22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Bring me Bendtner's head on a stick, awful awful player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

pool attack
    pool attack
    pool attack
    pool attack
    pool attack
    Arsenal Goal
    pool attack
    pool attack
    pool attack
    pool attack
    pool attack
    Arsenal Goal

and so on

Pool really need to be more clinical then so

pool attack
    pool attack
    pool attack
    pool attack
    pool attack
    Arsenal Goal
    pool attack
    pool attack
    pool attack
    pool attack
    pool attack
    Arsenal Goal

and so on

what has that got to do with anything?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

that better be sarcasm

Frisbee wrote: »
    Pool really need to be more clinical then so

tell me about it
    what has that got to do with anything?

because you made the point that there were two teams influencing the game. I'm merely pointing out that Liverpool were pretty much in control, were attacking and 3 minutes/6 minutes of stoppage time wouldn't affect that

i never said it was too much did i?

i was wondering where 6 minutes in total came from...

And it was well explained, by using the Villa game as an example.

That's the end of that then.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Thanks Arshavin for the massive favour, I knew I was doing something right when I signed him for my FF team :)
    Nicolas Bendtner has the first touch of a camel. A drugged, barely awake camel.

that better be sarcasm

I don't think i've ever watched a game where a team goes behind 3 times and controls a game...

• Advertisement

that better be sarcasm

absolutely not. we were basically on the attack for 90% of the game. Take nothing away from Arsenal - they took their chances brilliantly - but Liverpool were by far the better side. No consolation unfortunately, but true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,562 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Wow, what a game!!

I'm really getting worn out watching Liverpool.....my heart can't take much more of it!

Rafa really needs to something about the defence. Basic errors (i.e. giving the ball back to opponents) are the cause of goals being leaked. No problems up front.

As for the injury time debate, don't see what the problem is, no different to the 5+ mins Man U got against Aston Villa a while back. When the 5 mins was announced in that match it really lifted the whole stadium and the result was inevitable. As for tonight there were 2 goals after the 90th min, so it's at the discretion of the Ref (not Alex Ferguson) to decide how much time to play!

Overall it was a great nights entertainment, Arshavin was fantastic and I really think that Liverpool's title challenge is still alive as I believe that this season has more twists in it and I can see Utd messing up in a game or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I don't think i've ever watched a game where a team goes behind 3 times and controls a game...

Nah, I'm sure you did. But you were just being results orientated at the time and failed to realize it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

my point exactly.
    absolutely not. we were basically on the attack for 90% of the game. Take nothing away from Arsenal - they took their chances brilliantly - but Liverpool were by far the better side. No consolation unfortunately, but true

being in attack 90% of the time does not equate to controlling the game. Pool failed to control the game and that's why they conceeded 4 times.

controlling the game means not making stupid defensive errors.
    controlling the game means not allowing Arshavin the freedom to get 4 shots in without a challenge for each.
    controlling the game means preventing counter-attacks, not playing a style that encourages them.
    controlling the game means careful build up to play to create proper clear cut chances, not simply bombing forward to create a half chance every 30 seconds.
    etc.

nobody controlled that game, it was just chaos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

What a game. Long may this madness continue! What a performance from Torres. Simply incredible, the best I've seen in a long, long time.

If ever a player deserved a hat-trick and to be on the winning side...

Also I have to say, Man Utd's games are soooooo boring to watch compared to Liverpool's!

kinaldo wrote: »
    Also I have to say, Man Utd's games are soooooo boring to watch compared to Liverpool's!
    At least we won't have heart failure early in our lives though. ;)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Nah, I'm sure you did. But you were just being results orientated at the time and failed to realize it.

don't be pulling that stuff on me.

a team controlling a game and losing 1-0 or so

sure.

a team falling behind in a game 3 times suggests to me a team had your number and were playing excellent counter attacking football

this "we were in control" is sky sports andy gray nonsense.

if you were in control you wouldn't concede 4 goals and take till the final minute to get an equaliser in one of the most important matches of the season

in control my foot arsenal played some excellent football and some counter attacking bliss

there was a great start for liverpool and played nice football but apart from that there was very little times were liverpool "comfortable" or in "control" hogwash absolute nonsense.

ntlbell - in fairness only one of Arsenal's goals came from a proper counter attack - the others came from being caught in possession or failing to clear the ball. Fair enough a couple of liverpools were similar but it's not like Arsenal's goals were expertly crafted from free-flowing counter-attacking.

There were about 4 or 5 easily preventable goals. We had two sides with two woefule defenses. Liverpool were on top and always looked like winning but in the end it was team's (man's) clinical finishes that forced the deadlock.

ntlbell - in fairness only one of Arsenal's goals came from a proper counter attack - the others came from being caught in possession or failing to clear the ball. Fair enough a couple of liverpools were similar but it's not like Arsenal's goals were expertly crafted from free-flowing counter-attacking.

There were about 4 or 5 easily preventable goals. We had two sides with two woefule defenses. Liverpool were on top and always looked like winning but in the end it was team's (man's) clinical finishes that forced the deadlock.

there's no doubt there was mistakes on both sides that's why i get a bit annoyed and these "great games" that are just an abundance of school boy errors

i've seen technically better 0-0's tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

don't be pulling that stuff on me.

a team controlling a game and losing 1-0 or so

sure.

a team falling behind in a game 3 times suggests to me a team had your number and were playing excellent counter attacking football

this "we were in control" is sky sports andy gray nonsense.

if you were in control you wouldn't concede 4 goals and take till the final minute to get an equaliser in one of the most important matches of the season

in control my foot arsenal played some excellent football and some counter attacking bliss

there was a great start for liverpool and played nice football but apart from that there was very little times were liverpool "comfortable" or in "control" hogwash absolute nonsense.

wow, I'll simply say I completely and utterly disagree with pretty much everything in that post. Again, you are being 'results orientated'.

• Advertisement

there's no doubt there was mistakes on both sides that's why i get a bit annoyed and these "great games" that are just an abundance of school boy errors

i've seen technically better 0-0's tbh

YEP, Pool had techically better 0-0 draws earlier in the season.

Hard to beat the 4-4's for excitement though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

monkey9 wrote: »
    Off the top of my head, it's hard to say but the last i remember is the five or so minutes at the Utd Villa game, you know, when Macheda scored?

oh my god all this crap about added times there's no conspiracy theories goin on its 30 secs for a sub and 30 for a goal..simple as tonight 5 mins was about right with the amount of the goals and there was a couple of subs...the united game there was two injuries which took a long time to deal with can't exactly remember who it was but 5 mins was also about right for that game..sorry just been reading through the thread and the amount of people moaning about time added was annoying me...(monkey 9 the above is not just at you your post was just the last i read before i replied and you mentioned the united match ) tonight and then the 5 mins i think, was right.

ok now onto the match..fantastic match really enjoyed it, great result for united hopefully now they can get a win tomorrow night.. Arshavin wow reina had no chance with those shots.. Torres was brilliant..both teams defendin was bad.. At half time i was sure liverpool would win it 2-1 they had some good chances in the first half and really should of gotten ahead early on..
    Liverpool are really in great form at the moment..hopefully its too late though and united don't slip up again and let liverpool back into the race..
    Again great match keep them coming the last few liverpool games they really have been an enjoyable team to watch..

ntlbell wrote:

I've seen technically better 0-0's tbh

Most people's ideas of great games aren't derived out of the technical ability but the nerves and excitement of how it's going to end. But fair enough - if it's technical ability you're after look no further than the finishing of most of the goals tonight.

Torres made his header look effortless and completely schooled Silverstre for his second.
    Arshavin taught everyone how to finish using both feet.

Great match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

What a game. Long may this madness continue! What a performance from Torres. Simply incredible, the best I've seen in a long, long time.

If ever a player deserved a hat-trick and to be on the winning side...

As a United fan I agree. We've been grinding out results this season and have been pretty boring most of the time. Liverpool have been far more entertaining. That doesnt win trophies tho,

K-9 wrote: »
    YEP, Pool had techically better 0-0 draws earlier in the season.

Hard to beat the 4-4's for excitement though.

it comes with the territory when an attack minded side like the pool are involved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Martin Tyler said during this game tonight, something along the lines of ''there's simply no other league in the world where you would get a game like this...'' then went on about the Premiership being the best in the world etc.

May I just point out Atletico Madrid vs Barcelona / Villarreal this season.

Anyway.. I'm off to watch highlights of tonight's madness in Madrid...

Martin Tyler said during this game tonight, something along the lines of ''there's simply no other league in the world where you would get a game like this...'' then went on about the Premiership being the best in the world etc.

May I just point out Atletico Madrid vs Barcelona / Villarreal this season.

Anyway.. I'm off to watch highlights of tonight's madness in Madrid...
    I think he was referring to how ridiculously crazy the whole affair was. Couldn't take you're eyes off it.

it comes with the territory when an attack minded side like the pool are involved!

:D

We are hard to please. 0-0 or 1-1 we moan, 4-4 we moan. Well actually we love them really.

The fans have been fantastic for the last couple of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

what to say what to say am well 4 all hmmm. League over, well done united congratulations if we played like this in january against lesser teams it'd be over simple as

• Advertisement

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    As a United fan I agree. We've been grinding out results this season and have been pretty boring most of the time. Liverpool have been far more entertaining. That doesnt win trophies tho,

It's a big improvement from last year though. I think they knew that they to attack more than normal tonight and the second leg against Chelsea. Had to win both, leaving themselves open.

Jazzy wrote: »
    ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!

At least no more posts about defensive football in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

dont think i've ever known a poster to cause more hassle, sometimes i wonder do you watch these matches or do you simply check teletext after a match and simply see the times goals were scored in and then assume the side that went ahead were in control

id say boggles is over the moon. finally he has a tag-team mate who can really shake it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I probably should've stayed up for this one.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Watched the game last night and was good to watch as a neutral. Both teams defending was not great which is good to watch when its not your team. IMO I thought Liverpool were the better team but the result says it was even. Torres is a scary prospect when he is fully fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Fantasy Football has Reina as not making any saves? I know he took the ball out of the net 4 times though! :D

Fabianski on the other hand made 9 saves as well as taking the ball out of the net 4 times! :D

Sounds like it was Liverpools' to lose last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Fantasy Football has Reina as not making any saves? I know he took the ball out of the net 4 times though! :D

Fabianski on the other hand made 9 saves as well as taking the ball out of the net 4 times! :D

Sounds like it was Liverpools' to lose last night?

Have a look at the highlights - missed the game myself but just after watchin this there now at my work desk :D

http://www.footyfilms.com/category.php?cat=epl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Cheers. I'll watch it while I'm having my cup of tea at ten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I probably should've stayed up for this one.....

EXACTLY what I thought this morning... I stayed up for the United v Everton snorefest though :(

Have to stay up till 3am to watch the United game later, please God... let there be goals!

One thing is for sure, Liverpool have definitely been playing more exciting football than United/Chelsea this season. Might need to work on defending a bit though

• Advertisement
Advertisement