Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Arsenal Sky Sports 1 8:00 Tuesday 21st

1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

roryc wrote: »
    One thing is for sure, Liverpool have definitely been playing more exciting football than United/Chelsea this season. Might need to work on defending a bit though

We sure have.....and it's wrecking my head. Back to the dour one nil wins please Rafa.

I think the Liverpool thread should give money to the Irish Heart Foundation, you never know. We may need their help someday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

roryc wrote: »
    EXACTLY what I thought this morning... I stayed up for the United v Everton snorefest though :(

Have to stay up till 3am to watch the United game later, please God... let there be goals!

One thing is for sure, Liverpool have definitely been playing more exciting football than United/Chelsea this season. Might need to work on defending a bit though

I would argue the hole season, Liverpool had a couple of good performances early in the season but were very defensive minded in a lot of games early on which may have cost them in the long run.
    However since just before the Utd game, when I think Rafa had all but given up on the title privately if not publicly. For me he released the team in a way and let them play and express themselves and the results have spoken for themselves. Passion and entertainment wise they have been great to watch, (As a utd fan i just thank god for shady defending).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    wow, I'll simply say I completely and utterly disagree with pretty much everything in that post. Again, you are being 'results orientated'.

huh.

It's great that you disagree, can you enlighten us all to why?

if a team dominates for 80 minutes and loses a soft goal then yes there's some ground's for this "results orientated" thinking you mention.

when over 90 minutes you fall behind 3 times and in parts were completely outplayed and out passed the result is irrelevant.

Liverpool where never ever comfortable and never looked comfortable or in control bar the first few minutes

results orientated my foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

ntlbell wrote: »

in parts were completely outplayed and out passed

Right, you definitely were not watching the game, because that is a blatant lie.

Iang87 wrote: »
    dont think i've ever known a poster to cause more hassle, sometimes i wonder do you watch these matches or do you simply check teletext after a match and simply see the times goals were scored in and then assume the side that went ahead were in control

I sometimes wonder to people half read posts, fail to understand the content then make some sort of low content dribble remark on the poster i question.

I never said arsenal were in control?

I said liverpool were not, no one fecking was....hence the excitement....the openness, the free flowing football......

did YOU watch the match?

Right, you definitely were not watching the game, because that is a blatant lie.

sorry I forgot what you saw

pool attack
    pool attack
    pool attack
    pool attack
    arsenal goal

sorry I forgot what you saw

pool attack
    pool attack
    pool attack
    pool attack
    arsenal goal

it's an exaggeration i'll admit, but not by much.

That was, apart from those 4 crucial defensive lapses which will haunt me forever, Liverpool's best performance of the season. The workrate was like nothing i've seen in a long time, and the way we kept Arsenal pinned back in their own third for much of the game was a joy to behold. Yes, we failed to win, but these things happen. Sometimes teams score four goals with their only four attempts on target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

http://www.footyfilms.com/footyvideo.php?vid=f983e8ba6

Just after looking at the highlights and it seemed to be all Liverpool, especially in the first half. Arsenal had 5 chances, scored all five of them but one was deemed offside, whereas Liverpool had loads and loads of chances to win the game. Arsenal's defence looked terrible too.

Going mad I missed the full game now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Liverpool's best performance of the season. The workrate was like nothing i've seen in a long time,

No where close if you ask me - how can you even consider that after conceding four and being behind three times?

Your game away at Chelsea, away to Newcastle, away to United - take your pick. Excellent attacking football away from home but played with a foundation of defence - your best game this was not.

No where close if you ask me - how can you even consider that after conceding four and being behind three times?

Your game away at Chelsea, away to Newcastle, away to United - take your pick. Excellent attacking football away from home but played with a foundation of defence - your best game this was not.

well i did qualify that remark to take into account our sh*te defending.
    Our best performances this season imo have been Real Madrid at home, United at home, Villa at home and last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

what an amazing game.... but im really ****in hungover this morning and i lost my voice from shouting in the pub.

Liverpool are easily the most exciting team in europe to watch at the moment(maybe cept for barca) but they give me heartpains.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I sometimes wonder to people half read posts, fail to understand the content then make some sort of low content dribble remark on the poster i question.

I never said arsenal were in control?

I said liverpool were not, no one fecking was....hence the excitement....the openness, the free flowing football......

did YOU watch the match?

so arsenal get out of there half like 4 times. Liverpool keep possession brilliantly in the arsenal half for nearly all the 90 minutes. Sounds like liverpool controlled the game and defended awfully

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

so arsenal get out of there half like 4 times. Liverpool keep possession brilliantly in the arsenal half for nearly all the 90 minutes. Sounds like liverpool controlled the game and defended awfully
    I would hate to resort to using stats to prove a point but please check the possession/territorial stats for last night's game before claiming the above. You might find it wasn't as one-sided as you think.

I would hate to resort to using stats to prove a point but please check the possession/territorial stats for last night's game before claiming the above. You might find it wasn't as one-sided as you think.

well it wasn't as straight forward as i said above but we did spend majority of the match in there half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

That_Guy wrote: »
    Was just thinking how incredible football can be sometimes. 4 attempts at goal from Arshavin and 4 goals... Difference between taking your chances and not I guess. He got some speed though to latch onto Walcott's pass to score the first. Sensational.

ya sure?walcott wasnt even on the pitch when arshavin got his first ,came n as a sub in second half

yes only 4 times in the whole 90 minutes they never crossed into the liverpool half at any other stage..

bash_head_on_wall.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

patrickc wrote: »
    anyone know what the odds were on 4-4? or arshavin to score all 4?

well done gunners fantastic game

was 500/1 to be eight goals scored,paddy powers got stung for 500,000 euro:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

anplaya wrote: »
    was 500/1 to be eight goals scored,paddy powers got stung for 500,000 euro:pac:

Yeah, just read it there.
    http://www.rte.ie/aertel/224-01.html

"537 punters placed a total of £1,027.00"

Average bet of £2.00, so £1,000.00 each. Nice to wake up to that this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i got 5-1 on benni to score any time .good old benni .thats why hes my man :D

yes only 4 times in the whole 90 minutes they never crossed into the liverpool half at any other stage..

bash_head_on_wall.gif

read my other post

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

bash_head_on_wall.gif

lol, now you know how other people feel when they read most of your posts. :)

spockety wrote: »
    lol, now you know how other people feel when they read most of your posts. :)

Heh, I was waiting for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Didn't get to post last night so I thought I'd share my views...

The match -First of all what a game! Possibly the best game I've ever seen, for a neutral it must have been amazing, but as a Liverpool fan it was hard to watch at times. Can't remember a match stressing me out to that extent before. Sickened that we didn't win as we dominated the game and really deserved it. I would agree that as a performance, minus the sheer quality of Arshavin and the defensive errors, it was up there as one of the best of the season and on another night we would have won comfortably. I feel that if we had got the first goal in the first half when we were at our most dominant the game could've taken a different shape. Conceding 4 again is worrying. Our defence through the whole season (not just the last 2 games) has been leaking too many goals. Contrary to what a lot of people think about Liverpool, it hasn't been scoring goals that has been the problem this season. The concessions had a lot to do with the high tempo high pressure game we were playing (as well as some individual errors of course), but I can't complain with the tactics employed - they were right I feel. 9 times out of ten we would have won that match.

Arshavin - what a player. Euro 2008 'hype' was seemingly not hype at all. This guy is really something special. Arsenal could be a scary proposition next year if they get better luck with injuries.

Title hopes - not over in my opinion. Massive blow, yes. But its not over till its over. If we play the way we played last night I'm confident of max points from the rest of the fixtures - there is no one of Arshavin's quality in the teams we have to play. IF we pick up the maximum points then United will have to pick up their game. They will drop points unless they improve. But the fact is there are a lot of ifs in my argument, and they can afford a couple of slip ups now. United are in the driving seat and are massive favorites. I just take a glimmer of hope from the way the 2 sides have been playing lately, so I really feel that Liverpool can't be written off yet. It's been a crazy season and there could just be one more twist. Ferdinand's return is massive though I feel. I would have a lot more hope if Evans was still in there.

One final point - I havn't read the entire thread so apologies if this has been discussed already. I'm about to say something that a lot of Liverpool fans may take issue with, but I'm saying this as a Liverpool fan....

What was Gerrard doing in the Sky studio? This guy is our Captain and our leader, his influence and presence is absolutely huge, inspiring belief and confidence throughout the team. It's often these characteristics he brings as much as than his footballing ability that cause us to be tarred as a 'one man team'. Okay he couldn't play last night and bring this to the pitch, but he should've been in the dressing room in my opinion. I am a massive Rafa fan, and it goes without saying that as a Liverpool fan, a big supporter of Gerrard, too. But I don't think it was right that Gerrard was in the Sky studio last night - it shouldn't have been allowed to happen and he shouldn't have done it. We need him there on the sidelines and in the dressing room. I honestly belive his presence could have made a difference (not that the team didn't play with 100% passion, intensity, belief and courage, so this maybe renders my argument a bit irrelevant). Even if it made no difference which is more than likely I feel he should have been there anyway as a show of unity. I don't know maybe a small irrelevant point that a lot of people would disagree with but that's my 2 cents anyway...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I don't think that Gerrard should have been in the studio either, but not for the same reasons you take issue with it.

I don't think any current player should do TV stints, as they are going to be asked questions about their fellow players, their manager, specific errors in the game that lead to goals etc. It is not right that they comment on such things on television. I feel similarly about current players writing autobiographies as well.

Gerrard should have been at home. If he was on the touchline a meal would have been made of it ("Liverpool can't even play a match without needing Gerrard pitchside when he's injured" etc.)

• Advertisement

Morzadec wrote: »
    One final point - I havn't read the entire thread so apologies if this has been discussed already. I'm about to say something that a lot of Liverpool fans may take issue with, but I'm saying this as a Liverpool fan....

What was Gerrard doing in the Sky studio? This guy is our Captain and our leader, his influence and presence is absolutely huge, inspiring belief and confidence throughout the team. It's often these characteristics he brings as much as than his footballing ability that cause us to be tarred as a 'one man team'. Okay he couldn't play last night and bring this to the pitch, but he should've been in the dressing room in my opinion. I am a massive Rafa fan, and it goes without saying that as a Liverpool fan, a big supporter of Gerrard, too. But I don't think it was right that Gerrard was in the Sky studio last night - it shouldn't have been allowed to happen and he shouldn't have done it. We need him there on the sidelines and in the dressing room. I honestly belive his presence could have made a difference (not that the team didn't play with 100% passion, intensity, belief and courage, so this maybe renders my argument a bit irrelevant). Even if it made no difference which is more than likely I feel he should have been there anyway as a show of unity. I don't know maybe a small irrelevant point that a lot of people would disagree with but that's my 2 cents anyway...

I'd be inclined to agree. I think it's a valid point.
    John Terry's presence at Stamford Bridge for the second leg of the CL QF[he was suspended], I'm sure he had a positive effect on his team mates at half time in the dressing room.

Gerrard should have been at home. If he was on the touchline a meal would have been made of it ("Liverpool can't even play a match without needing Gerrard pitchside when he's injured" etc.)

Why would a meal have been made of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I don't think that Gerrard should have been in the studio either, but not for the same reasons you take issue with it.

I don't think any current player should do TV stints, as they are going to be asked questions about their fellow players, their manager, specific errors in the game that lead to goals etc. It is not right that they comment on such things on television. I feel similarly about current players writing autobiographies as well.

Ever good point and view , Would have to totally argee with our views and statement above , good post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Any more off topic posting will result in infractions.

If you don't like a post report it. If you don't like a Sig then we all know who the Sigpo are.

If there's no more match discussion then the thread can be locked.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

OPENROAD wrote: »

Why is the liverpool fans jersey hangin off him? ha "andrey arshaviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" and so on.

A7X wrote: »
    Why is the liverpool fans jersey hangin off him? ha
    He's not even wearing it. :confused:
    He just has it pinned to his jumper. Very odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

BaZmO* wrote: »
    He's not even wearing it. :confused:
    He just has it pinned to his jumper. Very odd.

because he was old and fat and embarassed to wear it properly for fear of tearing it.

Advertisement