Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Arsenal Sky Sports 1 8:00 Tuesday 21st

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think it's gonna be 1-1, Torres & Arshavin. I just hope i'm wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

monkey9 wrote: »
    I think it's gonna be 1-1, Torres & Arshavin. I just hope i'm wrong!
    Hoping for an Arsenal win, is it???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I'd like to see Song & Nasri in for Diaby & Denilson and for Eduardo to go up top with Arshavin in behind him. That should case a few problems for the pool.

Quietly confident about Arsenal getting points tonight.

Lets hope for a good attacking game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

As an arsenal fan im looking forward to this one cos there's not really too much pressure so hopefully they'll just go out and play. Eduardo up top and Arshavin behind him is what i hope for. Then Song and Sagna back in the side to solidify things.

Worst case ontario would be a draw for both parties i reckon cause even if pool win at least it means they'll be keeping the pressure on United so the can't take the foot off the gas before the CL matches

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

playa3 wrote: »
    if pool win at least it means they'll be keeping the pressure on United so the can't take the foot off the gas before the CL matches

So what you're really saying is that its in Arsenal's interests to lose...:D

Lets hope thats the teamtalk Wenger gives tonight! And then the conspiracy theories can begin, and a new thread can begin: Ferguson vs Wenger vs Benitez.

Very nervous about this one. Arsenal aren't a nice team to play agianst when nervous they will always be a threat as they can conjour a goal out of nothing. I often get very pessimistic about big games like this, probably subconciously to prep for any possible dissapointments.

Had a dream last night that we were 2 down after 20 minutes!

playa3 wrote: »
    As an arsenal fan im looking forward to this one cos there's not really too much pressure so hopefully they'll just go out and play. Eduardo up top and Arshavin behind him is what i hope for. Then Song and Sagna back in the side to solidify things.

Worst case ontario would be a draw for both parties i reckon cause even if pool win at least it means they'll be keeping the pressure on United so the can't take the foot off the gas before the CL matches

I'm just hoping Liverpool fly out of the traps quickly and bombard Arsenal with attacks so that we'll have them running Vancouver. With Reina and Carragher at the back, Mascherano in the midfield and Torres up front, they'll have nowhere Toronto!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Excellent article in the guardian about Ray Kennedy. Thought it would be appropriate to put it in this thread:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/apr/21/ray-kennedy-appeal-liverpool-arsenal
    Tonight Anfield will shine a light for a unique two-club icon. Fans of Liverpool and Arsenal are to prelude their clubs' Premier League clash by displaying corresponding mosaics in honour of 1970s and 80s hero Ray Kennedy – a man who, until the launch of a fledgling campaign last year, was languishing in unthinkable hardship and obscurity.

On a simple red background, Kennedy's white No5 will adorn the Kop, while the visitors' enclosure will show a blue No10 on yellow – mirroring the shirt the mercurial forward wore during Arsenal's Double-winning Wembley victory against Liverpool in 1971. The gesture, and what it signifies, should be savoured by fans of every club in the land.

Struck down by Parkinson's disease at the unusually early age of 35, Kennedy's long battle against the debilitating neurological condition has left him housebound, reliant on daily care and, on bad days, barely able to walk or talk. A private individual, he slid from view after a special testimonial in 1991, living alone in his native north-east. With no regular income, the player who won six league titles and three European Cups in a glittering 16-year career was forced to sell his collection of medals and international caps in 1993. Despite struggling to make ends meet, even badly injuring himself in a bathroom ill-equipped for his needs, this most selfless of champions has never asked for help.

Thankfully, two years ago, 40-year-old Karl Coppack, an events sales manager and lifelong Liverpool fan, decided to do the asking for him. Devised diligently with friends and fellow trustees Matthew Anton, Steve Hinds, Andy Campbell and Robbie Ashcroft, Coppack's Ray of Hope Appeal has collected over £40,000 from fans across the globe for essential equipment and services for Kennedy – and for the Parkinson's Disease Society, to whom 10% of proceeds are sent each month.

Fans' matches, shirt auctions, sponsored motorcycle rides to the Bernabeu, even an epic "92-club Dash" to request memorabilia from every league ground in the country (carried out by Coppack and pals in nine frenetic days in April 2008) – the Appeal has garnered support and well-wishers from Tokyo to New York. In February this year, with the added bonus of a donation from the PFA, the bathroom of Kennedy's Whitley Bay bungalow was equipped with a new shower, handrails and other fittings to enable him to navigate the room safely.

Further projects addressing Kennedy's substantial needs will be undertaken but, as Coppack is keen to stress, much like tonight's celebratory tribute at Anfield the Appeal is far from just another testimonial. "It's great that Ray finally has a new bathroom, but the point is that the support and the money are there forever – to help him and his family when things are perhaps not so easy in the future."

The event-organising, painstaking letter-writing and gentle haranguing carried out by the Appeal reveals much about the attitude of British clubs to the plight of former players. "Some clubs were more receptive than others," Coppack chuckles diplomatically. "But the money is still flooding in from fans everywhere - I have just received a cheque from the Newcastle United Supporters Club. It's truly been a fans' effort."

Coppack's personal story is not short on trauma. After first interviewing Kennedy, his boyhood idol, for the Liverpool fanzine Through the Wind and Rain in 2005, he suffered a brain haemorrhage the following year. It was July 2007 before he was able to work again. As he began returning to normal life, Coppack was moved to act. "I hated the sense that, given the fact Ray had a testimonial organised for him in 1991, 'that's that.' As well as being one quarter of Liverpool's greatest-ever midfield, this was a dignified human who spent the summer at home with his family rather than cavorting around the Costa like other footballers did in his era. I wanted people not to forget."

The sublime Kennedy's contribution will stand for all time. Arrowing home a tie-winning late strike at Munich's Olympic Stadium in Liverpool's 1981 European Cup semi-final; meeting George Armstrong's 88th-minute cross at White Hart Lane in 1971 to clinch Arsenal's first league championship in 18 years. Those supple feet and cultured brain turned dreams into blissful realities.

Yet the career of one of football's most decorated players began, much like it ended, in bitter adversity. Rejected as a Port Vale apprentice by Sir Stanley Matthews himself, Kennedy was working in a boiled sweet factory when he was dramatically signed by the Gunners in 1968. The club's first-ever European trophy soon followed, the teenage Ray scoring a crucial late goal against Anderlecht to help snatch the Fairs Cup in 1970.

The following season, 1970-71, is now the stuff of legend. Drafted into the side only because of injury to more experienced players, the 19-year-old Kennedy shone with uncommon brilliance, going on to become the league's 27-goal top scorer and a national phenomenon. Described by Jimmy Greaves as "the player of the 70s", Arsenal's bustling, match-winning centre-forward subsequently became Liverpool's visionary left-sided midfielder under Bob Paisley – a seamlessly successful switch of Wengerian proportions.

Eight majestic years at Anfield saw five league titles and that trio of European Cups, Kennedy netting 51 goals and numerous entries in Liverpool folklore in the process. His thrown-in for Alan Kennedy, sole scorer in the European Cup final of Paris 1981 against Real Madrid, is heralded as the most important in the club's history. But it was on being transferred to Swansea in 1982 that the first signs of Parkinson's began to show. Increasingly unable to perform, the stricken player ended his career at Hartlepool in 1984 and was subsequently diagnosed.

His humility as undimmed today as it ever was, Kennedy is delighted at the help he has received from the Appeal. But true to form, he remains genuinely surprised at how fondly his playing days are remembered. "Both sets of fans have been great to me and it's an honour to have played for both clubs. I hope this season Liverpool do well domestically, and that Arsenal triumph in Europe!"

Coppack, meanwhile (who is still as enraptured as an eight-year-old during any conversation in which Kennedy's name is mentioned), has every reason to feel proud. The curious union of this self-effacing supporter and his footballing idol was born of a heartfelt pragmatism rendered wholly anachronistic by the fiscal might of the modern game. It is hard to imagine any young fan sitting, 30 years from now, on the sofa of a grateful Fernando Torres, watching Football Focus and chewing the fat of golden former days.

Yet it is on the foundations laid by such graceful champions as Kennedy that today's globe-swallowing clubs are built. Tonight's tribute will sound a rare and inspiring note of humanity to those fans who have witnessed all that came before and after the Murdoch-inspired hubris of the 1990s – the violent puberty from which football has now slunk, troubled and bloated, into uncertain adulthood.

In the era of boardroom billionaires and bad debts, rarely has a piece of off-pitch news read sweeter. And the fans of two of England's greatest footballing dynasties – dynasties for whom Kennedy was there at the most crucial of moments – will tonight concur most warmly.

Paypal donations can be made to rayofhopeappeal@hotmail.co.uk; direct contributions can be sent to the Ray of Hope Appeal c/o HSBC account 21817299, sort code 40-03-27

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

SWAR wrote: »

Masch
    Lucas

Alonso
    If Rafa goes with that (i.e. wastes Alonso's passing from deep), I might just cream myself. Unfortunately, I don't think he will.

Is it Canadian pun day or something? I'm sure there's a "CanAda-bayor really not play tonight?" possibility there somewhere but it's probably more a spoken thing...

Great article, 5starpool.

It's really brilliant to see both sets fans come together like that to honour a legend of the game!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

If alonso does the business i think liverpool will snach it...very nervous about this match though *bites fingernails*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

I feel so dirty...
    C'mon Ar (agh) se (cough) nal (splutter)!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    If Rafa goes with that (i.e. wastes Alonso's passing from deep), I might just cream myself. Unfortunately, I don't think he will.

Trying to make sense of your comment with regard to "creaming yourself"...don't really know what creaming yourself is and can't really make out whether you take pleasure or pain from "creaming yourself"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Folks don't forget to post streams for this tonight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Can see Liverpool winning semi-comfortably. I doubt Wenger will risk most of his big stars with the Champions League match against United coming up next week. That and 4th spot is almost guaranteed after Villa's draw over the weekend.
    Liverpool on the other hand will be going all out to win. I don't think they'll miss out on this chance to hop on top of the league.

Oh haha, Wenger still reckons Arsenal can win the league:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8009043.stm
    Is that why he's not playing Adebayor and Van Persie tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

4-5-1 with Bendtner up top we lose

4-4-2 with Eduardo + AN other we'll make it a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

doonothing wrote: »

Keep 'em comin'.
    Some streams are brutal, so it's good to have a few available.

Huge game.

Come on the pool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Hat-trick for Torres ;) I think he might just be due one. I feel it in my waters.

Massive game - I think a result here is vital.

Pepe
    Arbeloa Carra Skrtel Insua
    Masch Alonso
    Kuyt Benni Riera
    Torres

Subs: Cavailieri, Agger, Dossena, Lucas, Babel, El Zhar, Ngog

Don't know if people have seen the Sammy Lee interview on the Beeb but the attitude on display is spot on (no surprise really)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8008828.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hat-trick for Torres ;) I think he might just be due one. I feel it in my waters.

25/1 on PP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Frisbee wrote: »
    4-5-1 with Bendtner up top we lose

4-4-2 with Eduardo + AN other we'll make it a game

If Wenger goes with this

Fabinski

Sagna/Eboue - Toure - Silvestre - Gibbs

Walcott - Cesc - Song/Denilson - Arshavin

Eduardo - Bender

I think Arsenal will win. I don't think Liverpool's full backs will be able to handle our two wingers plus there's no Drogba to frighten the ****e out of defenders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Roaster wrote: »
    If Wenger goes with this

Fabinski

Eduardo - Bender

I think Arsenal will win. I don't think Liverpool's full backs will be able to handle our two wingers plus there's no Drogba to frighten the ****e out of defenders!

If that's the team I would tell Torres to stay on Silvestre. If he did he'd have a field day imo.

Yeah, but there is Torres??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Silvestre actually has the ability to deal with Torres. At times, he can look like Ferdinand. Then again, at other times, he can look like Boumsong.

I still don't know how we got rid of him. Has to be cause he's French.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5217128,00.html

Scroll over to the video on the right and let your cursor rest on it.

Worth a larf: Someone at SS has a sense of humour I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

If Wenger goes with this

Fabinski

Eduardo - Bender

Can you explain how the lack of a Drogba is going to help Arsenal win?
    Actually don't bother.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

any liverpool fans worried about Fabregas needn't.. he was ruled out of this one yesterday..
    Guardian's The Fiver
    In injury news that sort of cancels itself out, $tevie Mbe and Cesc
    Fabregas will both miss tomorrow's visit of Arsenal to Anfield with
    groin-knack.

any liverpool fans worried about Fabregas needn't.. he was ruled out of this one yesterday..

Arse..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I reckon Liverpool should win this but I don't think it'll be a comfortable victory. I predict a fairly cagy opening twenty minutes but I think Liverpool will scrape a one nil victory here tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

any better source for fabregas being out?

cant find it anywhere online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

Mr Alan wrote: »
    any better source for fabregas being out?

cant find it anywhere online

yeah me neither.. went looking after i posted.. just got that in my email yesterday, doubt they'd print it without some kind of proof though, would they??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

doubt they'd print it without some kind of proof though, would they??
    :pac:

I reckon it'd be all over the news if there was a hint of truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

yeah me neither.. went looking after i posted.. just got that in my email yesterday, doubt they'd print it without some kind of proof though, would they??

Newspaper making up stuff?

Nahhhhh, wouldn't happen. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

noodler wrote: »
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5217128,00.html

Scroll over to the video on the right and let your cursor rest on it.

Worth a larf: Someone at SS has a sense of humour I think.

Either that or someone can't spell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Fabregas may have picked up a groin strain according to reports.;)

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/2402780/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Mascherano
    Alonso

Lucas

Kuyt
    Riera

Torres

i'd be surprised if that wasnt the team, the AMC role is where Lucas wants to play, not gerrards position exactly but deeper.

if cesc is out its a huge blow for Arsenal, they are a different team with Cesc in the middle, he makes them tick imo. thank god Arsenal are still in the CL as if Cesc even looks a bit shakey he will be rested (fingers crossed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

SWAR wrote: »
    can't really make out whether you take pleasure or pain from "creaming yourself"!
    That'd be pleasure.
    doubt they'd print it without some kind of proof though, would they??
    Does that mean Fabregas and Van Persie have already moved to Barca, Adebayor has gone to Milan and Toure is gone to Man City and Arsenal have no team for tonight at all? Steady on - there's plenty printed that's not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

That_Guy wrote: »
    I reckon Liverpool should win this but I don't think it'll be a comfortable victory. I predict a fairly cagy opening twenty minutes but I think Liverpool will scrape a one nil victory here tonight.

Yep, I agree. Im going to say a 2-1 Pool win. They're def going to put up a good fight. Should be a great match though.

New remote, check.

Beers, check.

Sh1t-stirring txt to French Arsenal supporting bro-in-law, sent & check :D

Liverpool win, fúcking priceless..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Is Diaby playing? I could see him causing some problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Just like to express my support for a draw, i hate both teams equally so its fairest result.

G'wan the draw.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

PHB wrote: »
    Silvestre actually has the ability to deal with Torres. At times, he can look like Ferdinand. Then again, at other times, he can look like Boumsong.
    Well this season he's looked like a man who is incapable of moving faster than about 4 miles an hour so I wouldn't be too confident of him dealing with Torres.
    RasTa wrote: »
    Is Diaby playing? I could see him causing some problems.
    For which team?

I've no idea what to expect tonight. Don't have a clue what kind of team Arsene is going to put out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

Draw'll do me. Arsenal win will do me too.

I predict a 'pool win though. 2-0.

Anyway as I said in the Arsenal thread, this is my preferred team:

Fabianski
    Eboue - Sagna - Toure - Gibbs
    Fabregas - Song
    -- Walcott -- Nasri -- Arshavin
    Eduardo

However, this is more likely:

Fabianski
    Sagna - Toure - Silvestre - Gibbs
    Fabregas - Song
    ---- Nasri -- Diaby -- Arshavin
    Bendtner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Line up with my formation guess.

Reina,
    Arbeloa-Carra-Agger-Aurelio,
    ----Masch-Alonso
    Kuyt----Benny----Riera
    Torres

Subs: Cavalieri, Skrtel, El Zhar, Lucas, Babel, Ngog, Dossena.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Anyway as I said in the Arsenal thread, this is my preferred team:

Fabianski
    Eboue - Sagna - Toure - Gibbs
    Fabregas - Song
    -- Walcott -- Nasri -- Arshavin
    Eduardo

However, this is more likely:

Fabianski
    Sagna - Toure - Silvestre - Gibbs
    Fabregas - Song
    ---- Nasri -- Diaby -- Arshavin
    Bendtner

Yeah I have a horrible feeling that he won't start Eduardo.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Good attacking lineup for Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fabianski, Sagna, Toure, Silvestre, Gibbs, Nasri, Denison, Fabregas, Song, Arshavin and Bendtner.

Dunno subs,

Get your money on Liverpool. That is an awful Arsenal team, worse than I predicted.

Fabregas in the hole.

Puke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah Liverpool for the win here. I think Wenger's giving it to them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement