Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lawn question....

Options
  • 20-04-2009 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi all,my first post by the way,and new gardner so please have patience. I have a fairly normal size back garden, and have 2 dogs, a lab and terrier which i have fenced off in the side garden, so now own back garden again.Anyways the 2 dogs have wrecked back garden, leaving patches of grass and muck everywhere and need to fix it asap as have a baby girl 9 mths old and she will probably be walking by this summer and need garden for her to walk on.So I figure i have 2 options,and am willing to take any shortcuts,and recession prices and please also take into account I have bad back as well (i know, whats going good for me?),
    first option:rotavate back garden, level it etc and buy roll out lawn
    second option: pour top soil on top of existing garden and buy roll out lawn
    Seriously I want an instant quick garden and thought i may have to buy topsoil for first option anyways so thought i wold cut the rotavating out. It doesnt have to be golf course grass, and the easier the better, and if what i suggested was mad please see introduction where I said was new to gardening.Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Callow Man

Why not patch up holes with new topsoil and reseed no need to buy any roll out lawn which can be expensive, if you water and fertilise well you should have a new lawn look in 6 to 8 weeks.
    Some pictures might be a big help also.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gary10r

Would love to do it that way,but looking at the garden it really looks like it needs a good rotavating or shoveling,i will post pics as soon as i can,good idea.Thanks CM

Would love to do it that way,but looking at the garden it really looks like it needs a good rotavating or shoveling,i will post pics as soon as i can,good idea.Thanks CM

By the way my daughter is on the same memory card:)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Anduril

If you go with the roll out option, will the lawn not be much higher than the path? Just from looking at the pics...

Anduril wrote: »
    If you go with the roll out option, will the lawn not be much higher than the path? Just from looking at the pics...

Good point.Told ye i was new to this:o:o but we are hopin to get decking on that area,if that will make any difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Anduril

I looked into rollout a while ago. The suppliers wanted 4" (I think) of rotovated topsoil in place before they would put it down.
    On the bright side, any work put in now will reap rewards later. My lawns were sown on 6" of builders crap, and I've battled moss ever since. Dug out a flower bed the other day and uncovered a full bucket of ironmongery....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Callow Man

Gary10r wrote: »

By the way my daughter is on the same memory card:)

Not the picture I had in my head I see what you mean now. I still think if you get it rotovated and leveled asap seed would be the cheepest option. I sowed my lawn the first week of May last year and I was mowing it the 2nd or 3rd week in june, it did get lots of rain though.

Callow Man wrote: »
    Not the picture I had in my head I see what you mean now. I still think if you get it rotovated and leveled asap seed would be the cheepest option. I sowed my lawn the first week of May last year and I was mowing it the 2nd or 3rd week in june, it did get lots of rain though.

My lawns were sown on 6" of builders crap, and I've battled moss ever since. Dug out a flower bed the other day and uncovered a full bucket of ironmongery....
    Andurill,ive been told the gardens all around us are the same as yours,so im afraid very afraid.:(

CM,ive been warned off rotovating it as it is so hard to do,but i reckon with plenty of water it will ok,i just hope whatever i do it turns out nice enough for my little girl to take her first steps on,Thanks for replys.

Advertisement