Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs Portsmouth 8:00 Wednesday 22nd

• 20-04-2009 7:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Any continuation of the trolling and sniping that marred the superthreads and individual matchthreads over the weekend will result in severe censure. If you cannot participate in mature discussion then stay out of this thread, or risk infraction/ban

Any discussion of this warning on-thread will be deleted and users risk infraction

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Well just to start it off. Does anyone know if this is on tele? Can't remember seeing it advertised on Setanta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

A7X wrote: »
    Well just to start it off. Does anyone know if this is on tele? Can't remember seeing it advertised on Setanta.

No, showing Chelsea vs Everton on Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I asked the very same question, nope not on tv

:(

vds
    oshea----rio---vidic
    evra
    Ronaldo---fletch---scholes
    park
    Ronney
    berba

I cant wait to see what berba will do

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭3 Dollar Bill

Headshot wrote: »

Well he better pull his head out of his arse and put in a decent performance £30 million quid, I'm starting to think it wasn't worth all that.

http://www.myp2p.eu/index.php?part=home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

Same here. He's the kind of player that I want to like because he's such a great footballer when he tries, but, as with a lot of United fans, he's just been pissing me off lately.

Hopefully he'll put in a good performance and dispel some of my fears, at least. I'm sure he's well aware of the fans' feelings towards him at this point.

• Advertisement

:(

vds
    oshea----rio---vidic
    evra
    Ronaldo---fletch---scholes
    park
    Ronney
    berba

I really can wait tbh. He better hit back hard with a good performance after the let down on Sunday.

Some of these footballers don't know how lucky they are.

Pretty much same team for me, although stuck between Berba and Tevez.

Also woudn't mind Rafael playin.

Bottom line MUST WIN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

I'm going to this one :D

I would also like to see Rafael playing, a Raf&Ron partnership could be amazing :)

doonothing wrote: »
    I'm going to this one :D

I would also like to see Rafael playing, a Raf&Ron partnership could be amazing :)

I wish i had the money to be able to make the effort to go to more matches :(

Enjoy it you lucky so and so ;) ha

CANNOT WAIT!

CANNOT WAIT!

And rightly so. Where are ya sittin? (or hopefully standing ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

VDS

----Raf----Rio---Vidic
    Evra----

----Ronaldo---Fletch---Scholes----

----Rooney
    Giggs---

Berba

I'd like to see this team against Porthsmouth.

Rooney does well out towards the right and Giggs won't have to track back as much with Paddy in behind him.

What ye think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

All the big guns back i reckon. Central midfield and right back will be the biggest issues i reckon.

......................VDS

XXXX....Ferdinand...Vidic...Evra

Ronaldo....XXXXX.....Anderson...Park

...............Rooney....Berbatov

Either O'Shea or Raf at right back; then either Fletcher or Carrick in the middle, i expect it will be Fletcher.

A win for us, and some kind of favour from Arsenal tomorrow would be great.

do you think ando could go again, after 120 mins on sunday and just recently back from injury

asking alot no ?

Just thinking bout this for a sec and I would love to see Anderson given another chance again. He really is looking commanding in the middle atm.

Just thinking bout this for a sec and I would love to see Anderson given another chance again. He really is looking commanding in the middle atm.

Same here, but like Headshot said tis hard to see him being played again. It would be a bad idea I think, as much as I'd like to see him in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

do you think ando could go again, after 120 mins on sunday and just recently back from injury

asking alot no ?

Yeah, you're right actually, will probably see giggs beside fletcher so. I suppose it depends on the fitness of fletcher and carrick as much as anything else.

Yeah, you're right actually, will probably see giggs beside fletcher so. I suppose it depends on the fitness of fletcher and carrick as much as anything else.

actually I hope im wrong :)

Ando was superb against everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

I hope with all my life that Portsmouth win this.!

deisedevil wrote: »
    Same here, but like Headshot said tis hard to see him being played again. It would be a bad idea I think, as much as I'd like to see him in there.

Ah he's young hell be grand ;)

Podge2k7 wrote: »

COME ON ARSENAL!!! (that hurt to say)

• Advertisement

Podge2k7 wrote: »

Will you die if they don't?

It's great knowing it's still all in our hands where as Pool are sweating on us losing.

It's all the one, you'll never win the league!

Ah he's young hell be grand ;)

Lol. Fabio is young too and he's after going off injured both times he's played. Bloody disgusted with that, he could have done well for us this season and given Evra a rest now and again, I think Evra is playing like he's a bit wrecked lately.

Lol. Fabio is young too and he's after going off injured both times he's played. Bloody disgusted with that, he could have done well for us this season and given Evra a rest now and again, I think Evra is playing like he's a bit wrecked lately.

No no, he's just playing muck. Miss timing tackles, bad decisions I know you can blame it on tiredness but these are professional footballers, he didnt play well at all when he came on as a sub on Sunday.

we dont know the extent of fabio's injury could be just a knock
    fingers crossed

And rightly so. Where are ya sittin? (or hopefully standing ;))

STH127 :O

Do Portsmouth have any injury concerns? Physio room doesn't seem to suggest many problems for them.. I thought Brown was meant to be back soon or did I imagine that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Cant see Pompey posing much of a threat for utd. 2 or 3 nil.

STH127 :O

Do Portsmouth have any injury concerns? Physio room doesn't seem to suggest many problems for them.. I thought Brown was meant to be back soon or did I imagine that?

brown was in the reserves today and played for 1 hr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

2-0 United my guess. Ronaldo with a free kick and Vidic with a header my predictions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Would love to see him play too. Even if he doesn't start I'd like him to play some sort of a role. Perhaps push him a bit more forward through the middle like he played at Porto and leave Fletch and Carrick to pick up the pieces in midfield, depending on how we're set up of course! :)

Berbatov doesn't deserve a place in the starting 11. Simple as that really. Start with Rooney & Tevez I say. They'll give good hussle (:rolleyes:) up against their strong defenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    Would love to see him play too. Even if he doesn't start I'd like him to play some sort of a role. Perhaps push him a bit more forward through the middle like he played at Porto and leave Fletch and Carrick to pick up the pieces in midfield, depending on how we're set up of course! :)

Berbatov doesn't deserve a place in the starting 11. Simple as that really. Start with Rooney & Tevez I say. They'll give good hussle (:rolleyes:) up against their strong defenders.

This man talks sense /agree

This man talks sense /agree

*nods*

Mr. Frost wrote: »

hate bringing people down to earth :) even thou I would like to see him play

but tevez played 120 mins on sunday too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Anderson won't play unfortunately, he's been a revelation for me since coming back from injury, shows how much we miss his energy, enthusiasm and ability to win the ball back from centre midfield, which we have sorely sorely lacked recently.

Tevez won't play either I doubt, Berbatovs time to shine, even if Berbatov gets a goal and a assist it won't suffice for some fans, unless of course he covers every blade of grass three times over :rolleyes:

2 Nil United for me, Berbatov and Ronaldo, Vidic will be a obvious threat from set pieces but I think Portsmouth have the height in their team to deal with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

id love to see how much meters(like it shows on champions league games) Berbatov covers on the pitch compared to Tevez or Rooney. Do Sky still do the interactive player cam? I think id break the TV if it was on Berbatov for any time during the game. I cant stand the mans attitude. His lazy style isnt Utds way. I lost all hope of him changng this 'Style' a long time ago.
    I know people will argue that he can do things that change a game with the touch of a ball but imo, id have Tevez and Rooney upfront ahead of him anyday.

For wed game- im gonna go a comfortable 3-0 win. Ronaldo(2) Rooney

id love to see how much meters(like it shows on champions league games) Berbatov covers on the pitch compared to Tevez or Rooney. Do Sky still do the interactive player cam? I think id break the TV if it was on Berbatov for any time during the game. I cant stand the mans attitude. His lazy style isnt Utds way. I lost all hope of him changng this 'Style' a long time ago.
    I know people will argue that he can do things that change a game with the touch of a ball but imo, id have Tevez and Rooney upfront ahead of him anyday.

For wed game- im gonna go a comfortable 3-0 win. Ronaldo(2) Rooney

He covered nearly 8000 against Porto before he came off after 70 mins, that was a decent effort for once.
    I'm not the biggest fan either but he is our best creator this season so far with most assists and key passes. If he just started to add more goals or at least some more effort in general he'd be doing fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He covered nearly 8000 against Porto before he came off after 70 mins, that was a decent effort for once.
    I'm not the biggest fan either but he is our best creator this season so far with most assists and key passes. If he just started to add more goals or at least some more effort in general he'd be doing fine.

On average he takes around 1 shot PER GAME. Not exactly what you expect from any striker, let alone a £30m+ one. A total joke.

I think Nani may start this game btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Van Der Sar

O'Shea
    Vida
    Rio
    Evra

Ronnie
    Carrick
    Scholes
    Park

Rooney
    Lazytov

8000? are you sure?
    im not 100% sure, but i think carrick is a doubt for this game

Liam O wrote: »
    On average he takes around 1 shot PER GAME. Not exactly what you expect from any striker, let alone a £30m+ one. A total joke.

I think Nani may start this game btw

Your right, he seems to have f-all chances. What kills me is that theres so many times where we're on the attack and crying out for someone to be in the box and theres no sign of him.
    I don't think Fergie got him for goals though, I mean look at his scoring record before coming to us, it wasn't anything massive but he's continued with his assists etc.

I don't think he's ever going to do much more than what he's doing right now but if we win the CL and League then I'll be happy enough with Berb, Rooney and Tevez again next season. If it aint broke don't fix it.

8000? are you sure?
    im not 100% sure, but i think carrick is a doubt for this game

That's what they said when he came off, remember them having a laugh about it.

• Advertisement

Your right, he seems to have f-all chances. What kills me is that theres so many times where we're on the attack and crying out for someone to be in the box and theres no sign of him.
    I don't think Fergie got him for goals though, I mean look at his scoring record before coming to us, it wasn't anything massive but he's continued with his assists etc.

I don't think he's ever going to do much more than what he's doing right now but if we win the CL and League then I'll be happy enough with Berb, Rooney and Tevez again next season. If it aint broke don't fix it.

i dont think it was broke last season really!!

what ive highlighted i agree with 100%, i watched on sun as berbatov got the ball in midfield, passed it off, and lighly jogged towards the box, cant remember what players were sprinting ahead of him, he went out of camera shot then he was that slow.

i dont think it was broke last season really!!

what ive highlighted i agree with 100%, i watched on sun as berbatov got the ball in midfield, passed it off, and lighly jogged towards the box, cant remember what players were sprinting ahead of him, he went out of camera shot then he was that slow.

Ya, your dead right, I have been saying that all season. He makes little or no effort to get into the box, rarely see him sprint into the box to get on the end of a cross. I just don't get that at all, I think theres no excuse for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Lol got a good laugh out of that. I still have faith Berbatov is going to get better for United but I do wish he would take a shot every now and again.

hate bringing people down to earth :) even thou I would like to see him play

but tevez played 120 mins on sunday too

Agreed but, Tevez works much harder and we need that at this stage as we've been grinding out a lot of results lately. I just think Berbatov's too much of a risk. Especially if Arsenal get any kind of result tonight, we must capitalize and ease the pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm sorry guys, working hard does not grind out results. Working hard wins big games, but grinding out results against the worst teams is all about skill.

PHB wrote: »
    I'm sorry guys, working hard does not grind out results. Working hard wins big games, but grinding out results against the worst teams is all about skill.

Fair point. And Berbatov's certainly got skill but, Utd have other players for skill - Ronaldo, Giggs, Rooney (both). I just think Tevez will be more affective against a side like Portsmouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Much of this team should be easy to pick. As all season the issues are at right back, center mid and left/right wing depending on where Ronaldo is.

With Park coming off after 70 minutes on Sunday I see him starting on the right and Ronaldo on the left. At right back I would say Neville will start tonight if available with O'Shea coming in for the Spurs and CL game.

Center mid really is hard to pick. Scholes has had a while off so he will probably come in though it depends on Fergies thinking for Arsenal as he probably has his midfield in mind for that game and will be working to keep them fresh. With Anderson after completing 120 minutes and Carrick doubtful not sure how much choice we have. Gone with Scholes, Fletcher as I don't think a Giggs Scholes midfield would able for it.

VDS
    -Neville--Rio---Vidic---Evra
    Scholes--Fletcher----
    -Park
    Ronaldo
    ----Berbatov---Rooney----

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

I reckon Berba Rooney up front, and I'm happy enough with that. Tevez played the everton game, and the great thing with United is that we have three world class strikers.

People talk about Berbatov bein lazy (especially compared to Tevez) but Tevez doesnt have that arrogance that makes strikers, and Ronaldo, so feared.

The "must win" is there, meaning there is more pressure on the players to do it, but i think 2-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Brien wrote: »
    The "must win" is there, meaning there is more pressure on the players to do it, but i think 2-0.

Meh it will be must win if Liverpool win. All we have to do is match their results.

• Advertisement
Advertisement