Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Cream Vans..

Options
  • 20-04-2009 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Just got the little lad off to sleep and along comes the blaring ice cream van again! Why do they have to play that tune so flippin loud :mad: Bad enough they visit so often every day but seriously, do they think we are stone deaf? Does it bother anyone else or am I just super sensitive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Fi Fi

I totally agree with you. He kept waking my lad aswell. He sounded like he was driving around for hours...or maybe it was just cause it was so annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 zarebski

My 1,5 year boy is awake and couldn't sleep now for almost hour, thanks to this music in front of the home. Tomorrow I'm going to ask the guy to go away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Tomato wrote: »
    Just got the little lad off to sleep and along comes the blaring ice cream van again! Why do they have to play that tune so flippin loud :mad: Bad enough they visit so often every day but seriously, do they think we are stone deaf? Does it bother anyone else or am I just super sensitive?

Last week it was so cold and wet and along he comes. I thought, blimey, hes optimistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

he's pitching up on our green at 8 every evening, which is a bit annoying as its the kids bedtime. Fine during the holidays, but not on a school night.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Strange...I was going to post the same thing here today. Its driving us crazy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I think there is enough of us now to form a mob.

Look the way I see it is; there's gotta be a volume knob. Just turn the noise down. When I hear him later I'll tell him. All it takes is two other people.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

The man is trying to earn a living on a warm day. 8 o'clock isn't too late to be going around, if it was after 9 you could argue noise pollution in a built up area.

The man is trying to earn a living on a warm day. 8 o'clock isn't too late to be going around, if it was after 9 you could argue noise pollution in a built up area.

Obviously this is not causing an issue for you...whats you trick for putting your kids to sleep when he is outside blaring the music?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Well it’s a welcome break from moaning about alarms, car noises, noise from the harbor etc etc etc.

Personally I love hearing the ice cream van, it’s kind of like a sound from days gone by. One of those traditions that’s kept on going.

On getting your kids to sleep…never creep around them as babies and they’ll learn to sleep anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tomato

astrofluff wrote: »
    I think there is enough of us now to form a mob.

Look the way I see it is; there's gotta be a volume knob. Just turn the noise down. When I hear him later I'll tell him. All it takes is two other people.

Im in - will ask him nicely when he comes around later!

• Advertisement

Big difference between your child sleeping through something and when they are about to go to asleep. Our 9 month old will sleep though anything but its always the exact time we are putting him down and everything is quite then all of a sudden the ice-cream van parks about 20 feet from his window with the music blaring.

I have no problem with him earning a living...I have no problem with him outside my front door...he just needs to turn down the volume of the music.

Just finish a 99. And all before 8 o'clock!

Had a chat with the very nice man, Ben, with Disney Ices on the side of his van.

He doesn't work after 8pm, so it's not him doing the later rounds. It's somebody else with a fleet of 20 vans he says.

Ben arrived at 7.30pm outside my house. I spoke to him for about 5 minutes. I was the last visit in the area and then he was off to his mates up the top of Charlesland for a cup of tea. He also asked if I noticed he only put the music on for a short bit and had it down as low as he could put it.

So, buy from Ben, Disney Ices. Not the other chaps (that serve after 8).

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

astrofluff, can you ask him to change from waltzing matilda back to the match of the day tune!!! i couldn't get it out of my head all day today at work!! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

There's a van that comes up to us in Bray. Since i'm off work sick, i noticed that he comes up around 3 or 4 and has no music on but normally would come up around 7.30 / 8 and the music is going crazy...especially annoying coz they turn at my house but no one has been around at that time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭DTinthegrove

If he came around from 6-7pm then I might even buy the children a treat now and again. I agree, I love the fact that they are coming around, haven't got a problem with the music but the time seems odd.

Or may be we are in the minority, putting our children to bed before 8.00pm?

No problem with any one trying to earn a few bob in this day and age, assuming they report there earnings to the tax man :)

Advertisement