Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA Awards announced (Giggs and Young win)

• 20-04-2009 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Edit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Just saw the odds on this and Giggs is 4-11 Fav with Vidic @ 3-1 - surely this is purely sentimental reasons on behalf of the other players. I mean how in God's right mind can Giggs win this - I wouldnt have him in my top 10. So far he has played 1133 mins exactly which is just over 11 games??????? and has scored the awesome tally of 1 PL goal with 7 assists - wow player of the year especially for a winger/corner taker/free kick taker. It truly is laughable.

How he was even nominated is a disgrace - talk about someones reputation preceding them. This is purely because of people feeling a bit sentimental because his career is coming to an end and he cannot consider himself to be an automatic first choice. Granted he was a fantastic player and still is in periods but PFA player of the year - 1133 mins ya right.

Just put it like this - if Park-Si-Jung had played exactly the same way as Giggs did this year - would he be the PFA Player of the Year?

Vidic has shown he is the best defender in the world and has been the PL's most consistently brilliant player this year that he should win it hands down.
    Ah but poor ol Giggsy is soon retiring - lets give it to him.

Has been a fantastic player over the years, his medal haul is a testimony to this but Player of the year this year, definitely not imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

If he wins it,i'm pretty sure that every player and football fan knows exactly why,so I wouldn't be too bothered about it tbh.
    I guess the real travesty would be that a player who truly deserves it would be missing out,on what is widely regarded as a huge honour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

I really can't see what the other players are seeing for him to be even nominated.

Vidic wins it hands down for me, but this award is ridiculous at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I'm a big Giggsy fan but to say he has been the player of the year is ridiculous and i don't think anybody could really argue otherwise. It's a bit like FHM putting Liz Taylor in at number 1 in their Top 100 sexiest women of the year poll for 2009. Bad decision if he gets it.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    I'm a big Giggsy fan but to say he has been the player of the year is ridiculous and i don't think anybody could really argue otherwise. It's a bit like FHM putting Liz Taylor in at number 1 in their Top 100 sexiest women of the year poll for 2009. Bad decision if he gets it.

She'd get my vote.

*Fap Fap

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

They should rename it the lifetime achievement award. At least he would deserve that.

Definitely one of the 3 best Utd players of the last 20 years though (along with Keane and Scholes), and is a model professional, so from that regard he deserves loads of recognition, but I don't think the player of the year award should be used for this purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

The whole list is riddled with media hype from the time.

Im pretty sure when the piece of paper for this is shoved in the players faces to nominate ppl the most in form team at the moment will be the first to pop into their head.

The players have too much to do (snigger) than study every player in the leagues form and really decide who deserves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

All of us non-united fans can say what we think of ferguson and united but theres one thing i think we can all agree on, Ryan Giggs has been an amazing player and pro for his whole career. He also happens to be a gentleman and i think he would be embarrased to pick up the award. Wouldnt surprise me if he handed it over to vidic in a training session. Thats if he does win it of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

5starpool wrote: »
    They should rename it the lifetime achievement award. At least he would deserve that.

Definitely one of the 3 best Utd players of the last 20 years though (along with Keane and Scholes), and is a model professional, so from that regard he deserves loads of recognition, but I don't think the player of the year award should be used for this purpose.

No not rename it.

They should have a special award for him on the night to recognise his contribution to football. He has been a model profesional and a superb role model to a host of youngsters growing up.

He deserves to be recognised by his peers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

I'd have to say Vidic deserves it this year, he's been phenomenal. Giggs has had some excellent games this year.... but not Player of the Year, by any means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

If i remember rightly Giggs had a really good run of games around the time of the voting

so maybe the bookies are onto something here as they have probably had people snooping round clubs to find out who voted for who

That said Vidic at 3/1 isnt a bad price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

elshambo wrote: »
    If i remember rightly Giggs had a really good run of games around the time of the voting

so maybe the bookies are onto something here as they have probably had people snooping round clubs to find out who voted for who

That said Vidic at 3/1 isnt a bad price

Agree with that my friend. Giggsy, the sneaky little devil :P, was motm against chelsea at OT if i remember correctly, any chance that votes were cast the day or so after?

I think Gerrard is in with a great shout.

He has been outstanding this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Gigg's has been a fantastic player thoughout the years for man u of that there is no doubt, however is he the player of the year this time around ahead of Stevie G or Vidic? No is the answer. Don't really care who wins TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think it'd be a bit silly, but to be honest, he never won it when he should have so I guess it all works out if it happens. I'd expect Vidic though, based on the form he was in when it was voted on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

based on this actual season, Giggs does not deserve it. If he does win it, no ABU will ever let it go either, they'll crow about it for years to come.

So I hope Giggs gets it :D.

On form for the season in total Gerrard should get it, but based on the form voted on, Vidic has a great, great chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I think Vidic deserves it, he's ridiculously consistent player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

No one has been more successful than Giggs in the PL but this award should be based only on the best player for one particular season.

Giggs looks set to get it but Vidic truly deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

5starpool wrote: »

A new lifetime award.*

Vidic deserves it but he will not begrudge Giggs getting the award at all ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Wheres Lampard ? - this list is a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Coulda sworn there was like 2 threads on this already...

Yeah the award is a joke in very many ways

It should be between Vidic and Gerrard IMO

Giggs looks set to win it on the basis of sentimentality

What can ya do !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Vidic,Gerrard or maybe Jagielka(big maybe)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I get Vidic,Gerrard not the rest , Alsonso and Ireland also deserve a mention

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Vidic,Gerrard or maybe Jagielka(big maybe)

Astronomical maybe, seeing as how he isn't niminated :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Astronomical maybe, seeing as how he isn't niminated :pac:

Fail by myself:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Jagielka's had an amazing season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

He'll only get it because his career will be over soon enough. He has played well whenever he has been selected to play but he hasn't been a consistent first team starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Jagielka's had an amazing season.

one for the books here

I agree with you Karmafaerie a brilliant season

himself and Lescott are the 2nd best :) defensive partnership in the PL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

PHB wrote: »
    to be honest, he never won it when he should have so I guess it all works out if it happens.

to be fair, i don't remember one season where he has deserved to win it. he's never been THE outstanding player of any given year.

he deserves a lifetime recognition from his peers though. one of THE outstanding players over the course of the Premier League's existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

its a farce if he wins it.

and i like him.

they should give it to Gerrard or Vidic and give him a special award

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Mr Alan wrote: »
    they should give it to Gerrard or Vidic and give him a special award

this is what any right-thinking person would do. any of them in the PFA?:rolleyes:

given the list they managed to come up with in the first place, we all know the answer to that one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

SlickRic wrote: »
    to be fair, i don't remember one season where he has deserved to win it. he's never been THE outstanding player of any given year.

he deserves a lifetime recognition from his peers though. one of THE outstanding players over the course of the Premier League's existence.

I totally agree,one of the the best players the premier league has seen,he fully deserves recognition and perhaps an outstanding career type award but AFAIK this doesn't exist.
    I wholeheartedly agree with his career and ability being recognised, but the PFA award is for the best player of the season(or up until February:rolleyes:)
    and it's just plain wrong not to honour the player who actually has outshone his peers throughout the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

creggy wrote: »
    I think Vidic deserves it, he's ridiculously consistent player.

Except when he doesnt play well.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

In fairness to vidic i can only think of one game where he didnt play well(and boy did he have a howler!) Was it voted for before or after the Liverpool-united game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

SlickRic wrote: »
    this is what any right-thinking person would do. any of them in the PFA?:rolleyes:

given the list they managed to come up with in the first place, we all know the answer to that one....

The players come up with the list AFAIK

kida wrote: »
    The players come up with the list AFAIK

yeah - i thought the list was simply the 5 most voted for players (the result is sealed before the list is announced)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

yeah - i thought the list was simply the 5 most voted for players (the result is sealed before the list is announced)

Pity its that was as would love to see Gary Nevilles voting slip given you can't vote for your own team mates. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Complete joke if he gets it. VDS and Ronaldo shouldn't be up for it either imo. Ireland should be in there for the senior award, if he was English he would be and would be guaranteed the young player award. Jagielka and Lampard should probably be in there too. Worst part of it is the United squad have to vote for Gerrard, thats retarded.

Giggs deserves recognition but not this award.

Complete and utter joke, lost all creditibility or what little it had to me now anyway. Vidic HAS to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,309 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Headshot wrote: »
    one for the books here

I agree with you Karmafaerie a brilliant season

himself and Lescott are the 2nd best :) defensive partnership in the PL

how do you make that out? it must be entirely subjective because they have conceded 34 goals this year versus 20 for chelsea and 21 for united and liverpool (the leagues top scorers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,309 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

In fairness to vidic i can only think of one game where he didnt play well(and boy did he have a howler!) Was it voted for before or after the Liverpool-united game?

he has had a few dodgy ones since, it seemed to knock his confidence but all votes were before, which is a joke in itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

CHD wrote: »
    Complete joke if he gets it. VDS and Ronaldo shouldn't be up for it either imo. Ireland should be in there for the senior award, if he was English he would be and would be guaranteed the young player award. Jagielka and Lampard should probably be in there too. Worst part of it is the United squad have to vote for Gerrard, thats retarded.

Complete and utter joke, lost all creditibility or what little it had to me now anyway. Vidic HAS to get it.

wait a sec. how does this work. i thought players could vote for whoever they want and then after this the top 6 or whatever become the nominees...if it is done that the nominees are put forward and then you have to vote for one of these i think the entire utd squad might feel very aggrieved and gerrard has to have a great chance as he gets over 5% of the votes by default!! finally UtD having a giant squad will work out in gerrards favour! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Giggs has been a passenger since christmas. As stand in captain for a few matches when utd were in trouble, he's been awful - truely awful.

He should retire this year for his own benefit - keep him on as a coach or mentor or something....

Both himself and gary neville must question their positions after this summer - they are no longer 1st choice players (imo) so time to bow out while they still have respect :)

smemon wrote: »
    Giggs has been a passenger since christmas. As stand in captain for a few matches when utd were in trouble, he's been awful - truely awful.

He should retire this year for his own benefit - keep him on as a coach or mentor or something....

Both himself and gary neville must question their positions after this summer - they are no longer 1st choice players (imo) so time to bow out while they still have respect :)
    Giggs will always have respect, the mans a legend of the game and imo does not need to retire this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

CHD wrote: »

Why not exactly?
    Ronaldo is joint top scorer in the league. He's no where near the form he showed last year but he was never gonna repeat that this year. If last season didn't happen people would look on this as a good run by him rather than dismissing it. Though according to many he didn't deserve it last year either so I may be wasting my time.
    Van Der Sar has joint second (with Liverpool) least goals conceded, joint (with Chelsea) most number of clean sheets and broke the record for consecutive clean sheets during the year. Goal keepers are rarely nominated - what exactly does one have to do to merit it if not what Van Der Sar has done this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

VDS is more of a liability than anything else these days. There was some stat about how many shots he actually had to save in that clean sheet run. The number was very low, thanks to such a good defence.

He should not be on that list ahead of Schwarzer.

VDS did sweet feck all in the clean sheet run, Taibi could have got that record with how well the united backline played. Ronaldo is having a good season, just isn't deserving to be on that list ahead of certain players imo.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    VDS is more of a liability than anything else these days. There was some stat about how many shots he actually had to save in that clean sheet run. The number was very low, thanks to such a good defence.

He should not be on that list ahead of Schwarzer.

Personally, i think it is the sign of a quality keeper that they can maintain their concentration and keep themselves ready when not involved for most of the game, to make those one or two quality saves that still need to be made. For me, the hardest part of being a keeper for top club is the periods in a game where you are doing nothing. I would say there have been a number of keepers who have failed at big clubs simply because they are not up to the task of maintaining their concentration and reactions over the full 90 minutes when not engaged in the game actively for long periods. Friedel at Liverpool, Howard and Bosnich at United would be examples of this. I would say Friedels form at Blackburn, and Howards at Everton, was/is very much down to be constantly involved in the game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement