Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA Awards announced (Giggs and Young win)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

smemon wrote: »
    Giggs has been a passenger since christmas. As stand in captain for a few matches when utd were in trouble, he's been awful - truely awful.

Completely disagree, he was captain against Chelsea and was the official man of the match.

Giggs is 35 and changed roles this season, he has been sensational at times, above average at other times, and poor in some games, very like the other nominees.

His stats are impressive, in all competitions he has started 26 games, 4 goals and 13 assists. He doesn't play every game but it is testiment to him that he is the first name down on the big matches.

People are going over board with this sentiment thing, there are a few others not on that list that it could be argued should be nominated, but when put up against Giggs you can see why he was.

Vidic is the winner for me, I think it has to go down to overall contribution and the guy this season is in a league of his own.

Ronaldo and Gerrard have scored some big goals, but their overall play wouldn't merit the award for me.

I hope they have made the right decision and give the Serbian the recognition he deserves.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    VDS is more of a liability than anything else these days. There was some stat about how many shots he actually had to save in that clean sheet run. The number was very low, thanks to such a good defence.

He should not be on that list ahead of Schwarzer.
    CHD wrote: »
    VDS did sweet feck all in the clean sheet run,

He had 40 odd saves during it AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

CHD wrote: »
    VDS did sweet feck all in the clean sheet run, Taibi could have got that record with how well the united backline played. Ronaldo is having a good season, just isn't deserving to be on that list ahead of certain players imo.

I think he's there for the goals and assists and the team he's with. That's why so many are from United - it's how they've played as a team really.
    Lampard, Robinho, Ireland, Adebayor, Agbonglahor would all be in there if they were playing or United or Liverpool as they were the two outstanding teams so far. The above players all have high goals and assists totals and are a big influence on how well their teams are doing.
    Having said that Lampard should be in there anyway. His stats are almost identical to Gerrard so you have to assume the deciding factor in one getting in and the other not is the team they are with and how the teams performance was influenced by the player. Which again in turn draws attention back to the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Boggles wrote: »
    His stats are impressive, in all competitions he has started 26 games, 4 goals and 13 assists. He doesn't play every game but it is testiment to him that he is the first name down on the big matches.

Highlighted for relevance.

Between August and the end of February he had started 10 (I think) out of 26 Premiership games, which is all that counts.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Highlighted for relevance.

Between August and the end of February he had started 10 (I think) out of 26 Premiership games, which is all that counts.

I knew you would be in with that Xavi. ;)

In that period he had something like 30 odd appearances, starting and subbed.

Don't think players would sit down and just analyse his league performances, other competitions may officially be irrelevant but I don't think the voters would completely serperate the 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Giggs has been a passenger since christmas. As stand in captain for a few matches when utd were in trouble, he's been awful - truely awful.

He has not been nearly as bad as you make out.
    He should retire this year for his own benefit - keep him on as a coach or mentor or something....

Why retire? He has shown this year that he can be a useful squad player (though an slightly over used one IMO). Why retire? Sure he ain't first choice but at 35 you don't expect to be. I'd say he is perfectly happy with his current role at the club.
    Both himself and gary neville must question their positions after this summer - they are no longer 1st choice players (imo) so time to bow out while they still have respect :)

They are no longer first choice does not mean they should retire. Though I think Neville is a separate case as he has struggled this year, and had a lot of problems last year. Unlike Giggs who has stayed fit.

As for the respect. I don't think Giggs will ever lose the respect of the footballing community. As for Neville I know he is not liked in some quarters but I think he will always have the respect of united fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Hope gigs doesn't get it as he hasn't deserved it, he is a terrific honest pro and been a great servant for utd and I would say he would be slightly embarrased to win it. Think he has got a lot of sentiment votes plus the fact he is one of the most likeable players in the premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I see that the newspapers are saying that Giggs has won it

we'll know tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

In my opinion, there is only one winner...Nemanja Vidic!! Outstanding all season(bar the pool game) but a rock in defense..
    I agree that Gerrard would be second...I'm a big Giggs fan but POTY???
    Sentiment over perfromance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Headshot wrote: »
    I see that the newspapers are saying that Giggs has won it
    He's won it without a doubt. Odds don't change like that on a market like this for no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

please don't let this thread turn to carnage.

unlikely though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

In the future if the FA set up a hall of fame like the NFL well then Giggs will enter on the first draft but to give him the POY for this season is wrong. It is a sentimental vote. As a Utd fan I disagree with the nominees, but if he does get it good luck to him for all the years of entertainment he has given me and thousands of others.

SlickRic wrote: »
    please don't let this thread turn to carnage.

unlikely though.
    We've known for over a week now that Giggs and Young have the awards.

Is it on telly tonight?

rednik wrote: »
    In the future if the FA set up a hall of fame like the NFL well then Giggs will enter on the first draft but to give him the POY for this season is wrong. It is a sentimental vote. As a Utd fan I disagree with the nominees, but if he does get it good luck to him for all the years of entertainment he has given me and thousands of others.

you're right.

and any semblence of credibility this award had left have gone out the window.

ah sure, at least we know for a fact it's a joke now, and footballers, in fact, do not know best.

eirebhoy wrote: »

i had no idea.

stephen ireland snubbed? well that just makes it a clean sweep for idiocy.

my God.

• Advertisement

It's definitely crazy that someone with 12 starts can be seen as the best performer in the league.

eirebhoy wrote: »

Is it official?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Is it official?

if you look at the betting patterns, it may as well be.

papers have started reporting it as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ryan Giggs shouldn't get it this season.

Somebody said he should have got it before but in all fairness he was never going to get it any year. He was in a team with Roy Keane, David Beckham, Denis Irwin(who never won it), Paul Scholes(who never won it) and then you had Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke for a couple of season, Ruud Van Nistelrooy and before them Eric Cantona.

He was never getting it when playing with those guys.

jamie redknapp just said he 'has a feeling' giggs and young will win the PFA awards.

legend.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

He's always on the pulse of the football community!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Let's hope he doesn't win young player of the year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Scholes has that in the bag.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Does anyone know when it is announced officially? Can't seem to find a date listed anywhere???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

greendom wrote: »
    Let's hope he doesn't win young player of the year too.

Am not quite sure which would be the bigger farce!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If Giggs wins this, I for one will never look at the award the same again.

It's always said this is a better award to win than the Football Writers one, as being voted for by your peers blah blah etc. Well if they go and do something as stupid as giving Giggs the award this year, you could never make that argument again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Who came up with the 6 nominees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Warper wrote: »
    Who came up with the 6 nominees?

The players. :confused:

Is this on TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

I can't see it listed anywhere...

I would have thought Sky..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Recored show on Sky tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

adox wrote: »
    Recored show on Sky tomorrow night.

Ah... SS1 at 18:00 and 22:15 tomorrow.

You know what time (roughly) the announcement is usually made public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Complete farce if Gigg's get's it. Gerrard and Vidic should'nt even turn up at the thing :p

Van Der Sar
    Johnson
    Vidic
    Ferdinand
    Evra
    Young
    Gerrard
    Giggs
    Ronaldo
    Torres
    Anelka

JPA wrote: »
    The players. :confused:

Is this on TV?

So basically all players vote on who they think is the player of the year (cant be a team-mate) and then the 6 most popular are picked and then there is a second vote to see who is the best out of that top 6 - is this correct?

So basically all players vote on who they think is the player of the year (cant be a team-mate) and then the 6 most popular are picked and then there is a second vote to see who is the best out of that top 6 - is this correct?

I THINK the player with the most votes is the winner. No second vote. So as soon as the nominees were put out, the powers that be knew the winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i don't think there is a second vote, i think the 6 nominees are simply how they can build up the awards night. As far as i know the there is only one vote.

It really is unbelievable though - the selections I mean - all the players must be Man Utd fans. Rafael even got nominated for the YPFA??

I know this has been said before but not having Lampard in that list is shocking.

So the voting is done in March and the winners are announced in April five weeks before the end of the season !

What idiot came up with these bright ideas anyway??

rarnes1 wrote: »
    So the voting is done in March and the winners are announced in April five weeks before the end of the season !

What idiot came up with these bright ideas anyway??

Who knows. It's crazy and indefensible by anyone.

• Advertisement

Ya the voting should be in early/mid May and results given out around FA Cup Final Time - ie at the very end of May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

the real award is the writer awards

Headshot wrote: »
    the real award is the writer awards

Well this award is ridiculous solely based on it's timing.
    The players can vote for whoever they want, whether we agree or disagree but at least wait until the end of season before they are asked to vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Its been like this for years!

Doesnt make it right, but its old news.

Votes should be made public as the FIFA ones are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

vidic got poty according to a few bits and bobs starting to come out on the web

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Helix wrote: »

I really hope that's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Helix wrote: »
    ...such as...? Links...?

Don't tease us like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

any1 know what time this is announced.

looking forward to the threads if giggs gets it now that should be right fun. I can see a ban in my future should he win

Iang87 wrote: »
    any1 know what time this is announced.

looking forward to the threads if giggs gets it now that should be right fun. I can see a ban in my future should he win

Jaysus, you are taking it way too seriously !

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement