Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA Awards announced (Giggs and Young win)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

wow that takes any honour in winning that award away for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Pretty embarrasing alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Perfect way to end the weekend for Man Utd.

Well done Giggs - legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

YPOTY is Ashley Young. It was close between him and Ireland IMO but with the voting done so early he was the one in the best form , although Ireland has been more consistent in hindsight.

Giggs winning is ridiculous and all I'll say on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Iang87 wrote: »
    wow that takes any honour in winning that award away for good.

Why? The players pbviously were suitably impressed by Giggs' contribution to United this season. People always bang on about how these awards should go to players who have performed at THEIR best in given circumstances - Giggs has performed brilliantly while playing a new position. The players feel he deserves recognition.

It is not a Best Player of the Year award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

lol farcical.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Pretty embarrasing alright.

embarrassing for who, exactly? the players who felt he deserved recognition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Congrats Giggsy

I think the right player won in fairness like

Good to see some justice

Once again congrats

Isn't that EXACTLY what it is? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Maybe Dennis Bergkamp will win it next year.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Isn't that EXACTLY what it is? :confused::confused::confused:

i thought it was an award given to the player that has impressed the most.

Why? The players pbviously were suitably impressed by Giggs' contribution to United this season. People always bang on about how these awards should go to players who have performed at THEIR best in given circumstances - Giggs has performed brilliantly while playing a new position. The players feel he deserves recognition.

dude bring me on in the last 20 minutes of a game against tired opposition and they'll vote for me too.

The honour in winning that award has well and truly gone, i really think giggs will never receive a more meaningless trophy in his life. He must feel like a complete twat gettin that knowing he's played something like 1133 out of a possible 2970. Player of the year alright

What does that even mean? Wouldn't the BEST player be the most impressive player?

thats what it was til around 5 past ten tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

He must feel like a complete twat gettin that knowing he's played something like 1133 out of a possible 2970. Player of the year alright

Quality not quantity young man.;)

adox wrote: »
    Quality not quantity young man.;)

am bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

well done Giggs

giggs.jpg

delighted for ya

What does that even mean? Wouldn't the BEST player be the most impressive player?

Well, no. People can be impressed by different things - such as people still playing to a high level despite their age, or having battled back form serious injury (Ronaldo got WPOTY for about 8 games worth of football in a season)

Well, no. People can be impressed by different things - such as people still playing to a high level despite their age, or having battled back form serious injury (Ronaldo got WPOTY for about 8 games worth of football in a season)

I just don't know why you will defend this. They should have made up a lifetime achievement award or something.

• Advertisement

thats what it was til around 5 past ten tonight

fair enough - the footballers voted for the wrong person for THEIR award i guess so - you should write to all the footballers and let them know who they are allowed to vote for in the future, lest their decision on who they recognise with their award on their awards night, annoys you.

now whilst i hate ronaldo and everything to do with him. i couldn't argue he didnt deserve that award. dont think its fair to say that about him

fair enough - the footballers voted for the wrong person for THEIR award i guess so - you should write to all the footballers and let them know who they are allowed to vote for in the future, lest their decision on who they recognise with their award on their awards night, annoys you.

ok can you just answer this straight so. Does Ryan giggs deserve player of the year?

now whilst i hate ronaldo and everything to do with him. i couldn't argue he didnt deserve that award. dont think its fair to say that about him

The REAL Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I love Ryan Giggs and admire him so much but I can't help but feel this is a poor outcome. I would have liked to see Vidic pick up the award.

Young beating Ireland to the Young Player award I feel is worse though. Young has been hot and cold this season whereas Ireland was the more consistent of the two.

The wrong two men won tonight I'm afraid.

The brazilian Ronaldo, back in 2002. Just want to make sure we are talking about the same person, cause if you agree that Ronaldo deserved that award you have no freaking leg to stand on with regards to Giggs.

• Advertisement

The REAL Ronaldo.

no not the real one, the united one Cristiano Ronaldo

ok can you just answer this straight so. Does Ryan giggs deserve player of the year?

Yes - because he got the most votes.

I would not have voted for him, but that doesn't mean I can decide the players are wrong for giving him THEIR award.

The brazilian Ronaldo, back in 2002. Just want to make sure we are talking about the same person, cause if you agree that Ronaldo deserved that award you have no freaking leg to stand on with regards to Giggs.

ah whatever about that. he got that for his world cup performance

I love Ryan Giggs and admire him so much but I can't help but feel this is a poor outcome. I would have liked to see Vidic pick up the award.

Young beating Ireland to the Young Player award I feel is worse though. Young has been hot and cold this season whereas Ireland was the more consistent of the two.

The wrong two men won tonight I'm afraid.

Lets not forget the voting is done in March. I agree Vidic deserved it but Giggs was playing great(when playing) in and around that time.

I can fully understand Young getting the young player award, it was named after him.:D

Seriously though, Young had been blowing hot all season up until March so based on that I think he fully deserved it.

Yes - because he got the most votes.

I would not have voted for him, but that doesn't mean I can decide the players are wrong for giving him THEIR award.

ok i'll rephrase do you believe ryan giggs deserves player of the year,

the players mustn't think much of THEIR award if they voted for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

It is not based just on this season though.

ah whatever about that. he got that for his world cup performance

which was what - 7 games or so in an entire years worth of football - you have nothing to say about him getting that award for so little actually football simply because he was part of a WC winning side (and played well) despite Ballack, for instance, putting in an incredible season.

How can you bitch about Giggs if Ronaldo winning WPOTY does not make that award farcical?

ABU.

OPENROAD wrote: »

clearly not man based on the last 20 looking at the outcome of one of the categories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

While I don't agree, the players have spoken.
    The people who spend every day of their life playing football think he was the best player in the league this season. That's gotta feel nice.

I'd wager, quite heavily, that the voting was very very very close between Vidic, Gerrard and Giggs, with Ronaldo and VDS taking a hefy bit too. Because neither Gerrard nor Vidic were particuarly amazing, it allowed Giggs to get in. I'd say that had one of the other players really impressed this season they would have won it, but that there was enough sentimentality out there, and bouyed by some excellent performances this season, he got enough to win it.

I can think of few more deserving winners for an undeserved award.

ok i'll rephrase do you believe ryan giggs deserves player of the year,

the players mustn't think much of THEIR award if they voted for him

that is the same question, so it is the same answer. He deserves it cause his fellow pro's have decided he deserves it. I'd have voted for Vidic. I don't think Giggs should have got it, but my opinion doesn't matter, i'm not in the voting group.

He deserves it because he has suitably impressed the people that matter, and i can understand why he has. He has been impressive this season. He may not have been the best player around but he is the player who has most exceeded expectations - far more so than Gerrard or Vidic.

It is.

PHB wrote: »
    The people who spend every day of their life playing football think he was the best player in the league this season. That's gotta feel nice.

I'd wager, quite heavily, that the voting was very very very close between Vidic, Gerrard and Giggs, with Ronaldo and VDS taking a hefy bit too. Because neither Gerrard nor Vidic were particuarly amazing, it allowed Giggs to get in. I'd say that had one of the other players really impressed this season they would have won it, but that there was enough sentimentality out there, and bouyed by some excellent performances this season, he got enough to win it.

one word that should be taken out of football for good. clouds people judgement clearly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Congratulations Ryan - a true United legend. I'm thrilled for him but have to admit there was a large element of sentiment attached to him getting many votes I'd imagine. He was playing cracking stuff at the time the votes were cast but Vidic really does deserve the award on merit. Still, I'm delighted Giggsy got it.

I wonder does he have any space left in his trophy cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

It is.

I thought it was based on the year, my mistake, they should have the voting in May though and have the awards at the start of next season.

PHB wrote: »

And Vidic hasn't done exactly that?
    I have to stop posting because it's done and its ridiculous.

• Advertisement

that is the same question, so it is the same answer. He deserves it cause his fellow pro's have decided he deserves it. I'd have voted for Vidic. I don't think Giggs should have got it, but my opinion doesn't matter, i'm not in the voting group.

He deserves it because he has suitably impressed the people that matter, and i can understand why he has. He has been impressive this season. He may not have been the best player around but he is the player who has most exceeded expectations - far more so than Gerrard or Vidic.

ha ha ha ha ha exceeded expectations. suerely zaki would fall into that category too and whats he done since october.

Either way i'm done its ridiculous all honour taken away from the award

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think it was Arsene Wenger who recently complained about the timing of the voting. I'd agree with him. I'd hope next season the votes for these awards would be done around early April.

If they had a career achievement award it would do away with the issue of sentimentality clouding people's judgement. Gianfranco Zola was another guy who despite having a great Premiership career was never acknowledged with an award. A bit more thought put into these things would settle much of the controversy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

one word that should be taken out of football for good. clouds people judgement clearly

Why ? Would you be of the same opnion if say Carragher won it next year (Highly unlikely I know :D;))

I thought it was based on the year, my mistake, they should have the voting in May though and have the awards at the start of next season.

Well that would make sense. why don't they? Does anyone have an answer to this? Seriously. The PFA should be bombarded with emails complaining about when this award is voted for.
    It makes no sense.

Why ? Would you be of the same opnion if say Carragher won it next year (Highly unlikely I know :D;))

yep most certainly would. awards should be given to those who deserve it not those who have never gotten it

Well that would make sense. why don't they? Does anyone have an answer to this? Seriously. The PFA should be bombarded with emails complaining about when this award is voted for.
    It makes no sense.

Because the season starts in August, not January?

The voting is done way too early but has been like this for years. Its no biggie at this stage really and shouldnt be taken too seriously imo.

ha ha ha ha ha exceeded expectations. suerely zaki would fall into that category too and whats he done since october.

Either way i'm done its ridiculous all honour taken away from the award

no - Zaki did well in the opening few games, much like Hull, and they faded into mediocrity soon after. He has done basically nothing since the end of October. So, he hasn't exceeded expectations for more than a couple of games - he has not been playing to a high level, in a new position, every time he has played.

yep most certainly would. awards should be given to those who deserve it not those who have never gotten it

Well the player most premiership footballers voted for was Giggs.
    They thought he deserved it and you didnt. Its not really worth getting upset over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

adox wrote: »
    Because the season starts in August, not January?

The voting is done way too early but has been like this for years. Its no biggie at this stage really and shouldnt be taken too seriously imo.

1+

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

An absolute farce.

I agree there should have been some sort of recognition for Giggs. I had advocated a lifetime achievement award already in this thread. But to give him the PPOTY award is just plain stupid. It was down to Vidic and Gerrard IMO.

The team of the year I suppose has to have both the PPOTY and young one it it but again Lampard overlooked. And to have Anelka in ahead of Rooney?

Ah well its puts all the arguing on here in perspective. The lads though Ryan should get one before he hangs up the boots and made a few calls.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement