Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA Awards announced (Giggs and Young win)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

DSB wrote: »
    Or perhaps Irish people have completely blown out of proportion the only half decent footballing prospect we have? Young is and has been miles better.

So untrue.

I don't like Ireland & would like to agree with you but-

Ireland has 9 goals & 9 assists in the league. As well as having more defensive duties than Young. Young has 6 goals & 8 assists and having a virtual free attacking role with very little defensively to do. He is also the main attacking threat for Villa & Villa play to that. Whereas Ireland is not that at City. Also Villa have been riding high, City haven't, which again makes Irelands stats more impressive.

This season, Ireland >>>>>>> Young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Mr Alan wrote: »
    So untrue.

Ireland has 9 goals & 9 assists in the league. As well as having more defensive duties than Young. Young has 6 goals & 8 assists and having a virtual free attacking role with very little defensively to do. He is also the main attacking threat for Villa & Villa play to that. Whereas Ireland is not that at City. Also Villa have been riding high, City haven't, which again makes Irelands stats more impressive.

You're right, Ireland's stats have been more impressive, but Young's general play has been far more impressive. The chap is an absolute superstar and looks special with every touch.

Assists do not take into account, those perfect passes or set pieces that start off a goalscoring move, and Young has one of the best deliveries of the ball I've seen since Beckham, I reckon he is more than worthy.

The only difference between Young and Ireland is that Ireland is a revelation this season, whereas Young has been performing to this level for a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Liam O wrote: »
    So was it the 42 goals or the goal in the CL final that make Ronaldo not worthy of World player of the year?

If you read the thread you will see this is referring to the Brazilian Ronaldo who won the WPOTY in 2002 after performing well at the world cup only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

JPA wrote: »
    If you read the thread you will see this is referring to the Brazilian Ronaldo who won the WPOTY in 2002 after performing well at the world cup only.

To be fair though, that world cup should have been renamed 'the Ronaldo show with guest appearances from Rivaldo'....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The real shame of this mess is that it serves to devalue the relevance and importance of the award, and by extension lessen the achievements of players like Cantona, Keane, McGrath, Shearer, etc who were actually the best player in the premiership the year they won it.

From here on, this award isn't really meaningful - until the format is altered significantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

You're right, Ireland's stats have been more impressive, but Young's general play has been far more impressive. The chap is an absolute superstar and looks special with every touch.

Assists do not take into account, those perfect passes or set pieces that start off a goalscoring move, and Young has one of the best deliveries of the ball I've seen since Beckham, I reckon he is more than worthy.

The only difference between Young and Ireland is that Ireland is a revelation this season, whereas Young has been performing to this level for a while now.

Ireland has been much better than Young in my opinion, he's had a fantastic season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

:eek::eek:

Oh dear, have you seen Ireland play this season, his all round game is incredible, take Saturday for example, away to Everton, he was absolutely fantastic.

He wouldn't look out of place in any team in the PL.

I like Young aswell, think hes great, but Ireland has been terrific this season and deserved the award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The real shame of this mess is that it serves to devalue the relevance and importance of the award, and by extension lessen the achievements of players like Cantona, Keane, McGrath, Shearer, etc who were actually the best player in the premiership the year they won it.

From here on, this award isn't really meaningful - until the format is altered significantly.
    Agree completely.

• Advertisement

are you sure you arent mixing the two lads up?!:eek::confused:

If Ashley Young was Irish and Ireland was English the complexion on this thread would be so different. Young is up there with the top of the pops and has been at his best this season, Ireland has just had a super season, theres a massive difference.

are you sure you arent mixing the two lads up?!:eek::confused:

100% and the English footballers seemed to agree with me.

The same English footballers who thought Giggs has been better than Vidic & Gerrard this year.

Lads, saying its the bias of the Irish saying Ireland has been better than Young is kinda beautifully silly when you look at the fact its only Villa fans who think otherwise, is it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If Ashley Young was Irish and Ireland was English the complexion on this thread would be so different. Young is up there with the top of the pops and has been at his best this season, Ireland has just had a super season, theres a massive difference.
    Jayzus would you get a grip...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Should have been Gerrard - he's been outstanding throughout - goals, leadership, creativity he has been incredible this season. Vidic was good but went through a rough patch not so long ago - the winner should be consistent throughout.

Giggs is a crazy selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

So untrue.

super post, agree with everything said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Do you know the way half of Ireland think Ireland is a plonker because he drove a Range rover with pink wheels, maybe that comes into too?

Also the major nationalality of the players in england is obviously english, who is to say that didn't come into it either, ala the eurovision!? Cant see too many of the Irish lads voting for Ireland! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

so surely,

super season by anyone's standard>>>good season by very high standards

who the is the better footballer is one debate, and a case can be made for either. but the question is, who had the better season, and I think the answer to the that is abundantly clear

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Or perhaps Irish people have completely blown out of proportion the only half decent footballing prospect we have? Young is and has been miles better.
    Nah, your just being silly. I dont like Ireland but the man has been class this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Young is up there with the top of the pops and has been at his best this season

hang on

young has been at his best this season?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Helix wrote: »
    hang on

young has been at his best this season?? :confused:

He was class up to his sending off at Sunderland. His assists tally this season isn't as high simply as he was aiming at Gabby on his own for a large part. Then frigging Heskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

lol all of a sudden the award is worthless! It's only been this way for years, no-one moaned before. The players voted. I agree the votes should be held at the end of the season but, does this mean that when the players got it 'right' in the previous years, they were just lucky?

I really don't see the big deal about this. It's a small award, it's not a league trophy or anything.

Also, lets not forget that most football fans actually don't understand football, or notice the small details in games that I think a football player would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

It's only been this way for years, no-one moaned before.
    I hate to break this to you but Man Utd fans were up in arms the year a certain Frenchman won it ahead of their beloved Roy (despite having his player of the year status validated by the writers at the end of the season too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Jesus Christ, for the last time, this isn't anything more than an opinion poll among players. It's not the football writers award or anything more reputable. This is the players giving their opinion, not a group of more reputable judges of play. These awards prove nothing, other than how the players view the best players in the country.

He was class up to his sending off at Sunderland. His assists tally this season isn't as high simply as he was aiming at Gabby on his own for a large part. Then frigging Heskey.

Then he should have surely adapted to a different style?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Jesus don't get me started on the football writers. So many useless twáts writing about football these day. Most of them seriously have no clue.

Jesus don't get me started on the football writers. So many useless twáts writing about football these day. Most of them seriously have no clue.

yeah but it is still a more reputable award than the PFA. In the NBA and NFL(as far as I know) it's the writers along with coaches of the team who vote the MVP so maybe the seperate awards should be scrapped in favour of a similar system

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

how the f**k did giggs win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

So anyway, I have no problem with Ryan giggs despite what I've been saying about him winning.

This video is worth a watch: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7411704.stm

Seems like another world really. Do footballers still get letters?

Worth up to £10 million. :eek:

lol all of a sudden the award is worthless! It's only been this way for years, no-one moaned before. The players voted. I agree the votes should be held at the end of the season but, does this mean that when the players got it 'right' in the previous years, they were just lucky?

I really don't see the big deal about this. It's a small award, it's not a league trophy or anything.

Also, lets not forget that most football fans actually don't understand football, or notice the small details in games that I think a football player would.

I was always one to question the merit of this award because of it's structure (i.e. when it is decided upon). But this is easily the worst result that process has thrown up since its inception. That the award appears to have been voted for during a period of the season where Utd were winning games and Giggs was involved and doing well speaks for the fact that football players aren't all that different from football fans or pundits - they are reactionary and unable to see too far beyond the short term.

And if there is no uproar most years, and there is such an uproar this year, it might have something to do with the ridiculousness of awarding a bit part performer who probably wasn't one of the top 10 players this season in terms of overall impact and contribution upon the league a 'player of the season' award.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

[Ted]It's a sham, and a fraud and.....a sham[/Ted]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Meh - the people that actually play football against Giggs thinks he has done brilliantly this season. Maybe all of us watching most of the games on TV don't agree - but the guys that actually go out there, and actually see everything Giggs does on the pitch and have come up against him in midfield....they think he is worthy of the award, THEIR award.

But yeah, what would they know about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Embarrassing stuff. Nothing more nothing less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Highsider wrote: »
    Embarrassing stuff. Nothing more nothing less.

people keep saying crap like this. Embarrassing for who? The players cause you don't agree with them? ooooooooohhhhhh how embarrassing for them. bet they are all red faced this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whinge
    Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whine Whinge

Whats done is done, Giggs is the PFA player of the year, FFS nothing is going to change, his peers saw fit to make him player of the year nuff said.

This place really has become a big bag of antagonism and whinge this season.

You really think Steve Gerrard and Vidic amongst others are lying in their beds this morning giving a toss about not winning? I think not.

All the players of the world, europe , PFA , writers award are all secondary, to what the main goal is and thats winners medal you get for winning the League or CL.

You think if you asked Steven Gerrard this morning, PFA Trophy or League Medal? He'd bite your hand off for a league medal.

PFA is a small nice bonus thats it, the players of the EPL have seen fit to reward Ryan Giggs with the bonus for maybe the last time in his career. Sentimentality sure, but its a nice touch from a group of professionals who believe he deserves the honour after 18 years of service.

I for one am happy Giggs got the award, he deserved it long ago, and now he has got his chance, give the man his dues and move on, it will go back to normal next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Jack Palance getting an oscar for City Slickers comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

He has started 12 games in the PL this season. Enough said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

I think theres a possibility the players got mixed up when they read young player of the year and thought you have to match the name to the award. No other explanation really, because Ireland has been immeasurably better.

Giggsy, well they're just mad.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Chong wrote: »
    I for one am happy Giggs got the award, he deserved it long ago, and now he has got his chance, give the man his dues and move on, it will go back to normal next year.

Isnt that the reason he go it ,he deserved it long ago but didnt get it so they give it to him before he retires.
    Its attitudes like that which contributed to this joke.
    Its an absolute farse, either of Gerrard,Vidic and Rooney should of won it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Dcully wrote: »
    Isnt that the reason he go it ,he deserved it long ago but didnt get it so they give it to him before he retires.
    Its attitudes like that which contributed to this joke.
    Its an absolute farse, either of Gerrard,Vidic and Rooney should of won it.
    Yes thats why he got it.

Players voted it, not fans , not pundits, no one but players, and they saw fit that he finally deserved it before he retires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Giggs

great service to the game
    good example to kids
    very good season this year
    likeable guy
    hasnt won it before

all above true, but Vidic or Gerrard should have won this award.

Young -Ireland had a way better season. Simple as that

As for the nominees - Swartzer, Alonso and Jakielka were very very unlucky to miss out. I wouldnt of had Giggs and Rio Ferdinand there to begin with.

Meh doesnt mean that much though

Chong wrote: »
    Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whinge

Whats done is done, Giggs is the PFA player of the year, FFS nothing is going to change, his peers saw fit to make him player of the year nuff said.

This place really has become a big bag of antagonism and whinge this season.

You seem confused by the concept of a post board. You may disagree with those giving their opinion that Giggs winning player of the year is lol. But, much as expressing that opinion can't change who won the award, typing 'well done Giggsy, delighted for ya' is equally as pointless as I don't think he is going to personally read your messages of support. You dig?

If a requirement for posting your opinion was that it produces real change, then we should wrap up the majority of forums on boards.ie immediately. If I think the PFA award has been sullied by this decision, I'm going to talk about that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

The award was voted for by his fellow players and lets face it, Giggs is very popular with other footballers, There were years during his career when he should have won it but didn't so even though Giggs has had a very good season I think he got the vote due to sentimental reasons.
    Rooney, Vidic , Van Der Saar and Anelka have been great this season.
    Gerrard in particular has had a great season (Just not as popular with his fellow pros as Giggs) so I think he will win the football writers award

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'd say Vidic will actually get the writers' award... Football journalists have a major hard-on for our Vida! And with good cause, he's a sexy animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

. If I think the PFA award has been sullied by this decision, I'm going to talk about that here.

Jaysus tis not like Gary Neville won and it is not the momumental swoon shock that you make it out to be.

Personally I think Vidic should have won it, but having watched every second of Giggs this season he deserved to be nominated, arguably others deserved to be nominated too but Giggs is there on merit and not the sentimental bullsh1t I have been reading on this forum.

We can all agree Manchester United play at the highest level of world football in the biggest matches in world football, testament to Giggs is Ferguson spares him for the most important matches, and this season he has been seldom found wanting and in many matches has been Uniteds best player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Joke of a decision, being honest. That whole award this year is a complete write-off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Meh - the people that actually play football against Giggs thinks he has done brilliantly this season. Maybe all of us watching most of the games on TV don't agree - but the guys that actually go out there, and actually see everything Giggs does on the pitch and have come up against him in midfield....they think he is worthy of the award, THEIR award.

But yeah, what would they know about it.

Ye, we don't really know what goes on from watching the match, if we were actually playing against these players ourselves we would probably see why Giggs is far more deserving of the award than Vidic or Gerrard.......

This greatness was obviously also missed by Ferguson cause he didn't play Giggs all that much but sure what would he know, he's not seeing what the players are seeing out on the pitch

Some people will try to justify anything, I find it funny that they actually talk down to you while there at it like it should be obvious to everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

colly10 wrote: »
    This greatness was obviously also missed by Ferguson cause he didn't play Giggs all that much but sure what would he know,

Ferguson said Giggs was in with a great shout of it 3 months ago. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Boggles wrote: »
    Ferguson said Giggs was in with a great shout of it 3 months ago. ;)

Managers say alot of things to get the best out of players, whether they actually believe it themselves is shown by how they use the player.
    Are you going to tell me as a united fan that you believe that he has even been uniteds best player this season, that he's been better than Vidic, been better that Rooney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Stephen Ireland was robbed.

Gerrard or Vidic should have won imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement