Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA Awards announced (Giggs and Young win)

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

grahamo wrote: »
    There were years during his career when he should have won it but didn't

not even once should he have won it in the past.

up against the likes of Shearer, Cantona, Ginola, Ronaldo, Keane, Henry, he's never been the standout performer.

it should have been Vidic, Gerrard or Lampard this year imo.

Young's win was a farce too. Ireland has been superior in every department. Goals, assists, tackles, work rate and leadership. They both have immense talent, and I'd love Young in the Liverpool team, but he shouldn't have won it this year. Ireland has been a class above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

colly10 wrote: »
    Managers say alot of things to get the best out of players, whether they actually believe it themselves is shown by how they use the player.
    Are you going to tell me as a united fan that you believe that he has even been uniteds best player this season, that he's been better than Vidic, been better that Rooney?

All ready stated who I think should have won it.

You said Ferguson must "have missed his greatness", I pointed out that Ferguson was the first to state he was in with a shout, combined with that the fact he plays in all the big matches for United, it would suggest your talking through your pipe and in fact Ferguson acknowledges how good and important Giggs is to the current, World, European and Premiership champions.

Boggles wrote: »
    Jaysus tis not like Gary Neville won and it is not the momumental swoon shock that you make it out to be.

Personally I think Vidic should have won it, but having watched every second of Giggs this season he deserved to be nominated, arguably others deserved to be nominated too but Giggs is there on merit and not the sentimental bullsh1t I have been reading on this forum.

We can all agree Manchester United play at the highest level of world football in the biggest matches in world football, testament to Giggs is Ferguson spares him for the most important matches, and this season he has been seldom found wanting and in many matches has been Uniteds best player.

paint the picture whatever way you like, but at the end of the day he shouldn't have it.

at least 10 players in the league more deserving this season.

he also hasn't been Utd's best player as many times as you make out this season.

SlickRic wrote: »
    paint the picture whatever way you like, but at the end of the day he shouldn't have it.

Acknowledged. :rolleyes:
    at least 10 players in the league more deserving this season.

Name them?
    he also hasn't been Utd's best player as many times as you make out this season.

You have watched every second of United this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

All ready stated who I think should have won it.

You said Ferguson must "have missed his greatness", I pointed out that Ferguson was the first to state he was in with a shout, combined with that the fact he plays in all the big matches for United, it would suggest your talking through your pipe and in fact Ferguson acknowledges how good and important Giggs is to the current, World, European and Premiership champions.

I would say he plays in all the biggest matches for you because of his experience along with the fact that center mid is your weakest area, he would not get in as a center mid at Liverpool or Chelsea in a big game where first teams are being played and that suggests that he does not deserve the award (his performances at center mid is what he's being judged on)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

one word for it

JOKE

I would say he plays in all the biggest matches for you because of his experience along with the fact that center mid is your weakest area, he would not get in as a center mid at Liverpool or Chelsea in a big game where first teams are being played and that suggests that he does not deserve the award (his performances at center mid is what he's being judged on)

Why is he just been judged on playing in centre midfield? :eek:

He would not get a game in the 2 teams that are in second and third but he would for the current league leaders? How did you come to that conclusion.

He was man of the match against Chelsea this season playing centre mid by the way. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Chong wrote: »
    Whinge Whinge Whinge Whine Whine Whinge

Whats done is done, Giggs is the PFA player of the year, FFS nothing is going to change, his peers saw fit to make him player of the year nuff said.

This place really has become a big bag of antagonism and whinge this season.

You really think Steve Gerrard and Vidic amongst others are lying in their beds this morning giving a toss about not winning? I think not.

All the players of the world, europe , PFA , writers award are all secondary, to what the main goal is and thats winners medal you get for winning the League or CL.

You think if you asked Steven Gerrard this morning, PFA Trophy or League Medal? He'd bite your hand off for a league medal.

PFA is a small nice bonus thats it, the players of the EPL have seen fit to reward Ryan Giggs with the bonus for maybe the last time in his career. Sentimentality sure, but its a nice touch from a group of professionals who believe he deserves the honour after 18 years of service.

I for one am happy Giggs got the award, he deserved it long ago, and now he has got his chance, give the man his dues and move on, it will go back to normal next year.

A sympathy vote, for all intents and purposes, then?

Acknowledged. :rolleyes:

i know, me saying what I said was a way of introducing my point.

Name them?

Gerrard, Lampard, Alonso, Rooney, Jagielka, Vidic, Ireland, Felliaini, Van Persie, Hangelaand.

That was easy.

You have watched every second of United this season?

hmmm...every solitary second? no. but certainly the vast majority. and he has been MOTM imo on no more than 2 occasions. imo, he got this award for sentimental reasons, and his outstanding Chelsea performance which as far as I remember came at just about the perfect time for the voting for this award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Name them?

Vidic, Gerrard, Anelka, Lampard, Jagielka, Ireland, Schwarzer, Hangeland, Rooney, Ronaldo....that's 10 for starters.

• Advertisement

Gerrard, Lampard, Alonso, Rooney, Jagielka, Vidic, Ireland, Felliaini, Van Persie, Hangelaand.

That was easy.

All debatable this season when compared with how Giggs has performed.
    hmmm...every solitary second? no. but certainly the vast majority. and he has been MOTM imo on no more than 2 occasions. imo, he got this award for sentimental reasons, and his outstanding Chelsea performance.

So you havn't watched every single game, but yet you can only conlcude he was man of the match twice? So you would concede it might be more considering you havn't watched all the matches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

As a United fan im delighted he won it, great season so far. Much better than any Liverpool player this season

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    As a United fan im delighted he won it, great season so far. Much better than any Liverpool player this season

With maybe the exception of Kuyt, who I think has been far and away Liverpools best player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Name them?

Gerrard, Vidic, Ferdinand, Lampard, Swarchzer, Hageland, Ireland, Young, Torres, Jagielka

gerrard_1370306i.jpg

Lord, what have I become. :rolleyes:

With maybe the exception of Kuyt, who I think has been far and away Liverpools best player.

Eh Gerrard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol rubbish.

Two word - Gerrard, Alonso

So you havn't watched every single game, but yet you can only conlcude he was man of the match twice? So you would concede it might be more considering you havn't watched all the matches?

you're scraping the bottom of the barrel here with your arguments I'm afraid.

at most 2 of my list are bordering on debatable, and I have a feeling you know it. you're just being stubborn.

i've seen the vast majority, as i've said. i've seen every game Giggs has been involved in, but then again, even if i hadn't seen the vast majority i can still have seen all his game. would barely have to see half of utd's games to do that :rolleyes:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol rubbish.

Two word - Gerrard, Alonso

Thats not what the PFA award says lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I think the only person would would debate them, is you Boggles.

Incidentaly, Paul Scholes has never won the PFA player of the year award either, i'm think about backing him for next year now, seen as the award is a farce now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

A great comment, and not just on his performance last Saturday. He has been one of those players, like Tevez, that the fans love because they give 100% all the time and are up and down the park for the 90 minutes. Maybe the players won't vote for these types because they make the normal strollers look bad. I hate Man Utd but will concede that Vidic has been outstanding for all games except those against Liverpool. He has been their rock of strength and is the latest in a line of players who make Rio Ferdinand look better than he actually is !
    And on the topic of looking at all games which seems to be the reason people are giving out about the Giggs slaggers. Has anyone of those people watched all the games themselves ? I doubt it. I watch a lot of football because its conducive to me making money as a bookmaker and I can say that Fellaini has impressed me more than Giggs, especially when keeping together a patched up midfield usually lacking a Cahill or Arteta.

yeah, well yore ma says.....

sorry :D

good coherent argument :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Yeah I have to agree with the anti Giggs brigade here. He's had a decent season alright but as has been pointed out already I could think of at least ten players who've done better. And I still think Steven Ireland should have been in both shortlists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Credibility shot right there kev.

The dude has played barely enough to qualify for a medal if the club wins the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

nipplenuts wrote: »
    The dude has played barely enough to qualify for a medal if the club wins the league.

:confused:

10 appearances for a medal

24 appearances so far, with 5 games left to play.

Having a laugh are we?

tbh anyone that watches the prem knows Giggs couldnt be POTY. But as a United fan im just happy for him and glad he got it over a pool player!

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Incidentaly, Paul Scholes has never won the PFA player of the year award either, i'm think about backing him for next year now, seen as the award is a farce now.

Shortlist for next year:

Tugay, Scholes, Hyppia, James, Campbell, Neville
    Pighead wrote:
    Yeah I have to agree with the anti Giggs brigade here

I don't really feel comfortable being labeled 'anti Giggs'. Giggs is a king amongst footballers, a great pro who has had a good season. My unhappiness with this award is not due to any hatred of Giggs, or even down to me supporting Liverpool. I just think it's a shame that hype and sentimentality have combined to downgrade an award that was largely on point in previous seasons.

glad he got it over a pool player!

give it to vidic then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

:o

He would not get a game in the 2 teams that are in second and third but he would for the current league leaders? How did you come to that conclusion.

He was man of the match against Chelsea this season playing centre mid by the way. ;)

Sorry I forgot.... the team at the top of the table has the best players in all areas of the pitch, I just remembered why I don't really post on this board anymore, full of thinly veiled trolls.
    And ye I remember he was MOTM against Chelsea, he did put in a great performance that day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Personally, I would have had Vidic at 1 and Gerrard at 2. I would think many other people would have the same top two, maybe swapped. I don't think Giggs should have got it, but I don't think it makes the entire thing a farce.

• Advertisement

Much better than any Liverpool player this season

Yes, thinly veiled trolls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Giggs is a great pro

Its an insult to Ryan Giggs to describe him as a "great pro". A great pro is someone who is a constant trainer, doesn't turn up late and always gives 100% for a team. Think Matt Holland, Steve Bould, Colin Hendry.

Ryan Giggs is far and away the best left footer ever produced in Britain, the best left winger in the history of British football and has the most appearances of any player for Manchester United. He deserved some recognition for his achievements and this is it. He may not have been the outstanding player of the year, but has there been one outstanding player all year? Don't think so myself.

Giggs has had top performances in every match he has played in. It's simple. I can see why you wouldn't like it if you were a Liverpool fans, but you only have to look at the history of the award to see that it doesn't always go to the first choice of the writers or supporters. Gerrard in 06? Ferdinand in 96? Mark Hughes in 91?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

F365 say's it best...
    "There will be many arguements about the rights and wrongs of Ryan Gigg's being crowned PFA player of the year, but mediawatch will simply say this: Darren Anderton made more starts than Gigg's this season and he retired in December. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I give this the biggest LOL ever

Draupnir wrote: »
    He may not have been the outstanding player of the year, but has there been one outstanding player all year? Don't think so myself.

a few people have said this as some sort of reasoning, and it is just plain unfounded rubbish.

Gerrard, Vidic, Ireland...ugh I did a list earlier and a couple of others have too...have all stood out. just because nobody scored 42 goals this year doesn't mean there haven't been standout performers deserving of the award more than Giggs.

and i agree, he's not merely a great pro, but I don't think LL said that in detrement to him at all. he is a wonderful player, we all know this, and nobody is taking that away from him. nobody.

tbh anyone that watches the prem knows Giggs couldnt be POTY. But as a United fan im just happy for him and glad he got it over a pool player!

Thats not what you said earlier, you said he was better than any Pool player this season.
    Thats vastly different than what you have just said.
    Put your head back in the sand will ya.

a few people have said this as some sort of reasoning, and it is just plain unfounded rubbish.

Gerrard, Vidic, Ireland...ugh I did a list earlier and a couple of others have too...have all stood out. just because nobody scored 42 goals this year doesn't mean there haven't been standout performers deserving of the award more than Giggs.

and i agree, he's not merely a great pro, but I don't think LL said that in detrement to him at all. he is a wonderful player, we all know this, and nobody is taking that away from him. nobody.

All the players you mentioned have had bad spells this season too, Giggs hasn't played a bad game this season. Ireland deserved the young player award but hasn't had enough of an influence on his club or team as a whole to warrant a Senior award at his age.

Dcully wrote: »
    Thats not what you said earlier, you said he was better than any Pool player this season.
    Thats vastly different than what you have just said.
    Put your head back in the sand will ya.

He thinks that Giggs is better than any of the Liverpool players this season and the majority of professional players in the Premier League agree, are you more qualified than them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ireland deserved the young player award but hasn't had enough of an influence on his club or team as a whole to warrant a Senior award at his age.
    Would have to disagree with this. I think Ireland has had a HUGE influence on Man City this season. He's gone from being a promising player to the lynchpin of the team in one season. Without Irelands input this year I reckon City could well have been involved in a relegation battle at the moment.

Pighead wrote: »
    Would have to disagree with this. I think Ireland has had a HUGE influence on Man City this season. He's gone from being a promising player to the lynchpin of the team in one season. Without Irelands input this year I reckon City could well have been involved in a relegation battle at the moment.

Possibly so, some of his passing and creativity has been outstanding, but I just feel that with the quality they have they should be doing better and that in a few years Ireland will have the abilities to drag players of that quality a lot higher up the table than they are now.

As such, I feel he is missing a bit from his game and mentality which stops him being a Senior award winner for me, yet.

I watched his cross for Robinho's volley last week about 12 times on Saturday during Soccer AM with the Sky+.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i'm just gobsmacked people still care about this award. it's been way off the mark in recent seasons.

it's been pretty clear that the award has become more a statement of the player that's admired the most, rather than exceptional performances. and in that regard i guess Giggs is a deserved winner, but who cares ffs...

He thinks that Giggs is better than any of the Liverpool players this season and the majority of professional players in the Premier League agree, are you more qualified than them?

Do you agree?

You just said Irelad deserved to get young player, Young got it, the players didn't vote for Ireland, are you more qualified than them?

All the players you mentioned have had bad spells this season too, Giggs hasn't played a bad game this season. Ireland deserved the young player award but hasn't had enough of an influence on his club or team as a whole to warrant a Senior award at his age.

but he's played less than half the amount of minutes of all the ones i've mentioned in the Premier League.

Vidic, Gerrard, Lampard, Jagielka...they have ALL been very good-excellent in at least 90% of games this season. Each of them man of the match on numerous occasions.

easier to be consistent over a few games, than an entire season.

and who cares how young ireland is? he's been an almighty influence on the team THIS season. and the award is for THIS season. he ain't much younger than ronaldo last year. now i know ronaldo had a ridiculous season last year but the point still stands...age is only a number ;)

Do you agree?

You just said Irelad deserved to get young player, Young got it, the players didn't vote for Ireland, are you more qualified than them?

I don't really agree with them on Giggs, in fact I probably don't think any one player has stood out since United started leaking goals. At certain points of the season I have thought Vidic, Gerrard and Torres have been the stand out player but they have all had quiet patches or missed a number of games.

I don't really agree with them on Giggs, in fact I probably don't think any one player has stood out since United started leaking goals. At certain points of the season I have thought Vidic, Gerrard and Torres have been the stand out player but they have all had quiet patches or missed a number of games.

Agreed, I don't believe any has really stood out - Gerrard, Torres, Alonso, Lampard, Ireland, Vidic and Rooney have all had good seasons and dererved it more than Giggs for me.
    Vidic was the only stand out performer but I felt he has dipped in form since the Liverpool game leaving no player to stand out as immense

strange you saying this after what you said earlier

the mind boggles :rolleyes:

strange you saying this after what you said earlier

the mind boggles :rolleyes:

You're blinded by your desire to see Man United bias in any United fans post I am afraid. In you first quote, I said I don't think anyone stands out as Player of the Year. In the second quote I said that another poster thinks Giggs was POTY and all the pro's agree, that is a fact, so where is the rolleyes in either of the things I said?

My second quote of you sounds to me like you agree with him and the pros when you asked whos more qualified.
    So based on that you either agree with him or simply wanted to have a go at me.

You then follow up saying Giggs didnt deserve it hence my saying the mind boggles.

You just seemed confused,nothing to do with any biass.

You just seemed confused,nothing to do with any biass.

To be fair your the one who seems confused.

• Advertisement

Enough. There is no further ground to be threaded on this I think, and we are now firmly ensconced in pettyville.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement