Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do ye's pay for livery these days?

Options
  • 20-04-2009 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Before I do something silly and buy a horse that a friend has suggested to me, roughly how much are people paying/charging for livery these days? I don't want to go squealing to a yard owner about a horse only to find out I couldn't afford to pay the bills! :o

I had a horse about 20 years ago [in the UK] that I kept at part-livery (at a yard that was accused of over charging by various people) - they were charging us £20/wk, what would probably be around €100/wk these days (?) - you got the rent of a stable, bedding, feed, hay, use of indoor and outdoor schools, your horse turned out and brought in, fed, watered, hay, and mucked out if you weren't there. Feeds and haynets were made up for you. Shoeing, worming, and any veterinary charges were extra, and arranged for you.

just for the record someone set up a rival yard offering the same service for £10/wk and other people I spoke to were paying less than £15/wk for the same sort of thing.

cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

€450 for full feed /turnout/mucking out/exercise.

Vet,dentist farrier paid for me,seperately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chindato

About €140 a week for full livery (excluding vet & farrier)
    About €70 a week for DIY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

Thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

I rarely use livery but topclass livery available in Enniskerry 128 weekly full and they have some at grass too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I feel so lucky, I only pay €80 a week for my horse, a 15.1hh arabian.

This includes feed three times daily (she needs it believe me to keep any sort of weight on her) use of a walker 5-6 times a week, mucked out every day, full use of the arena, 1 proper free lesson, every other day I get a lessons with the yard owners if I ride at the same time.
    They will also exercise her for me and have been helping me a lot with schooling her over jumps, I also have full use of the facilities.

So for about €310 a month is very very good, before hand i was paying €435 roughly a month for a yard with no walker/no exercise.

Maybe I'm just lucky?

I have to pay for vet/farrier/dentist seperatly though, farrier is €60 for a full set, whihc is very good as well. (he doesn't use traditional methods however, pre made shoes that he hammers to fit the horse)

• Advertisement

I might just move to Maynooth! :)

that's great value you're getting there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SmellySockies

I feel so lucky, I only pay €80 a week for my horse, a 15.1hh arabian.

This includes feed three times daily (she needs it believe me to keep any sort of weight on her) use of a walker 5-6 times a week, mucked out every day, full use of the arena, 1 proper free lesson, every other day I get a lessons with the yard owners if I ride at the same time.
    They will also exercise her for me and have been helping me a lot with schooling her over jumps, I also have full use of the facilities.

So for about €310 a month is very very good, before hand i was paying €435 roughly a month for a yard with no walker/no exercise.

Maybe I'm just lucky?

I have to pay for vet/farrier/dentist seperatly though, farrier is €60 for a full set, whihc is very good as well. (he doesn't use traditional methods however, pre made shoes that he hammers to fit the horse)

Woahhh thats amazing whats the name of the place? I live near maynooth :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

Thats unreal what profit do they make on you tenner a week you fell on your feet there.:D

The yard I'm at is called Rosecottage, it's just past donadeal forest, right at Ballagh cross (i think it's called)

Rates range from 80-90, it's only a small, newish yard, only has 2 liverys so far! it's family run as well, so it's behind the house, completly new facilities!

I've shopped around and found a place I can afford that has decent facilities! now all I need is a horse ...

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 simone.vdm

I'm a bit surprised by the prices of livery and the service.

In the Netherlands I pay €100 for a pasture (a month) with other horses on it so he's not alone. I feed and ride him myself everyday and have an indoor and outdoor arena to ride my horse in for free.

I see services like 'walker' and 'exercise' but I'd hate to think about someone riding my horse :D guess I'm a bit selfish :p

Are there any pastures for rent around dublin (in the area of co. wiclow) or are there only livery with all the services?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I pay €110 in North County Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 simone.vdm

Borderfox wrote: »
    I pay €110 in North County Dublin

a week or a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Sorry, thats a week. Full livery but no turnout :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

I've shopped around and found a place I can afford that has decent facilities!
    :D

Hi, just wondering what your paying, what facilities are offered and roughly what part of the country.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Place I go to for lessons charges....

€66 for half livery

€130 for full

Hi, just wondering what your paying, what facilities are offered and roughly what part of the country.
    Thanks.

Co.Cork. Been told less than €100 per week for full livery (or as good as). Arenas to ride in, turnout/horse ridden if you're not there, access to beach and woodland riding, plus going to shows. They're willing to negotiate the price with me since I'd be able to go there most days and muck out etc myself and help around the yard in general. Did that when I had my first pony 20 odd years ago and ended up getting my livery for free, plus 2 lessons a week! :D the instructor told me not to let on that she wasn't charging me for them and the yard owner told me not to tell anyone I wasn't paying anything LOL (not expecting that these days tho!)

sup_dude wrote: »
    Place I go to for lessons charges....

€66 for half livery

€130 for full

I was being charge the equivalent of €100 a week 20 years ago for half livery! (well I'm guessing it would be around €100 a week in today's money!)

Woahhh thats amazing whats the name of the place? I live near maynooth :D

Rosecottage riding stables just past donadea forest!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Tanzanite

€90 per week full livery in Maynooth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 usethewhip

There's livery yard in North dublin that has 2 arena's incl. a indoor. They do lessons, clinics and shows. E115 per week and grass E50. They have grass livery and turnout all year round. They also loan / share horses.. photos :cool:on their website

Hoping to bring to bring my chap there at the end of the month.. PM me if you want their name and number....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 starpixie

<snip> {mod edit: equestrian centre in south Dublin} are 385 full livery a month or 365 for a pony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Wavvie

Hey guys. I've been thinking about this for a while and Im just wondering if I can afford to keep a horse. I have the funds for the initial costs but am unsure if i will be able to afford the livery, farrier, feed, worming etc every month. So I thought Id get some info from the horses mouth... :rolleyes:
    I was just wondering how much it costs you to keep your horse/pony (roughly) per month... and if you pay for livery (full, half, grass) or if you have your own set up?
    Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

hey,

I was paying €75 per week for full livery but I alos had to pay for feed which was about €15 every week and a half. This was when the horse was stabled. When he went out to grass it was costing me €35 per week in the same livery yard. Most people would recommend that you do not need to feed your horse feed when he is on grass but I do every second day just a small amount with linseed oil to keep good condition.

The farrier costs between €50 and €60 for 4 shoes, but it will be cheaper if u only need to get one or two if the horses loses them.

Worming is about €20 for a really good one....Equimax it is called. If you goolge worming it will tell you when this is to be done. It is not every month.

I brought my horse home a few weeks ago and he is virtually costing me nothing to keep now.

Hope this helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Im paying 90 a wk thats part livery,daily turnout,mucked out,hay. I buy cool n easy bag every 2wks which is 9.60 a bag,i got to drive 30-40mins to the yard which is starting to add up on my fuel costs:mad::mad: plus its outdoor arena is useless at drainage:mad: Dam think i better move haha

• Registered Users Posts: 47 eddie12

I pay €80 a week for 16hh+(its cheaper when they are smaller). dont know what half livery or working livery costs but livery + schooling costs €120 a week.
    The have two outdoor arenas and an indoor arena. They also give lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sareail

I have two horses at 100e/week for full livery in Cork, they basically do everything and I just have to ride. Its a good set up and the people are actually lovely which makes SUCH a difference :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sligome

i keep my horses at home so it just cost petrol to get to them as they are grazers all year round, no hard feed or haylage. lucky me, find a farmer with horses and use his field for very little every month

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭kimberworth

I'm paying €285 per month - full livery

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mack2

eddie12 wrote: »
    I pay €80 a week for 16hh+(its cheaper when they are smaller). dont know what half livery or working livery costs but livery + schooling costs €120 a week.
    The have two outdoor arenas and an indoor arena. They also give lessons.
    hi there can i ask where you use the livery - im looking for a yard in carlow or kilkenny, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

county waterford...
    Full livery for pony 70euro, a horse 100
    this includes... supplying feed and feeding(and hay), being mucked out daily, being turned out, having full use of all facilities; 2 outdoor arenas, 2 indoor, 2 small cross country fields and a trek and free lessons(exclu. private)

Personaly I think its a bargain

Advertisement