Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where was I?

Options
  • 20-04-2009 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

Yesterday we decided to take the kids to the beach, we were going to head towards Dunfanaghy but decided to take the scenic route. We got as far as Dungloe but dident know how to get to dunfanaghy from there so we decided to head back as far as Errigal where the last signpost was and we would make our way from there. As soon as we left Dungloe I knew I had already made a mistake but carried on thinking I could make a turn somewhere down the road and get back on track This dident happen, we drove for a good few miles and came to a sign saying Ballybofey which I knew was bad. A hundread yards back I saw another sign, pointing in the middle of 2 roads, one which I had just drove down and a second, really small, narrow country lane. Against the wifes wishes I took the country lane. This was really narrow and had a few prefabs/ cabins along the way then we left all civilisation and drove for miles through beautiful brown, undulating land, right between 2 mountains. This went on and on for ages with no signposts or turnoffs. We had no idea where we were until we eventually came upon a green patch of land that stood out against the brown and it had a signpost for Churchill. From Dungloe to churchill took over an hour, it was the longest peice of road I have ever been on in this county without knowing where I was or where I was going.
    Does anybody know where I was?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Woger

I remeber being there ages ago. I'd be interested in hearing the name aswell. Before you came to churchhill was there a smallish town near a lake with mountains fairly close by?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Dont know the area too well but if you ended up in churchill i'd say you were out the back of glenveagh park, barren but beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Could it have been Doochary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Woger

Isn't Doochary a bit further south, near Gweebara?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

I think Dochary might have been where I saw the signpost for Ballybofey and looking at a map online I think I must have taken the R254 across the Derryveagh mountains but this road dident look like it was big enough to even get a name. I dont remember a small town before Churchill. I did see a small sign that mentioned Glenveagh and there was a fence running through the middle of nowhere at one point which I assumed was the perimiter of the park, but I think that was before Doochary. I couldent count all the small lakes we passed. It was really beautiful, pure Donegal, the bit between the mountains was really something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Try google maps - may help

Good man, that sorted it out, I must have turned off at Doochary, man thats a long road with nothing on it. It would have been fine if I wasent trying to get the kids to the beach. Eventually got them to rathmullan at 5 o clock, we left a 1.30, not the day they had imagined. The terrain map shows it best. At least now I can always say I was in Comeen and Bingorms. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

At the bottom of what was the corkscrew, across from the Ice House ( http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/property/article395679.ece ), one of the most beautiful drives you could find. This road runs behind the Thor, Poison Glen, Glenveagh and to Churchill/Gartan.
    One of the more popular walks during the Dunlewey Festival is the Glenveagh-Poison Glen walk and you have to walk about 100m of this road.

You couldn't get lost on a nicer road...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

That sounds like the Churchill road from Doochary through Glenveagh alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Strange wrong turn to take though! You have to pretty much make a 180 degree turn after the corkscrew to go that way!

I remember my dad breaking down on that road once when we were small in an orange cavalier! There was some sort of cult in the area at the time and there was all this mad writing on the roads- scary!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Thumpette wrote: »
    There was some sort of cult in the area at the time and there was all this mad writing on the roads- scary!

There still there, their called the "locals":D

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

Good man, that sorted it out, I must have turned off at Doochary, man thats a long road with nothing on it. It would have been fine if I wasent trying to get the kids to the beach. Eventually got them to rathmullan at 5 o clock, we left a 1.30, not the day they had imagined. The terrain map shows it best. At least now I can always say I was in Comeen and Bingorms. Cheers.
    some trip! but when you got as far as rathmullen after all that you should have stayed going for 10 minutes and got yourself here:
    ballymastocker.jpg

That was our original destination but we decided to go for a longer run as there is a nice place for fish and chips in dunfanaghy or around there somewhere, thats why we went to rathmullan in the end, nice fish and chips in Salt n Batter. We bring the kids camping to knockalla every year, its a beautiful spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Thumpette wrote: »
    There was some sort of cult in the area at the time and there was all this mad writing on the roads- scary!

Cult?!How long ago was this?Never heard about that before:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

As soon as I read the OP, I realized it was the R254. I was only on it for the first time last summer on a beautiful day. I took photos that day as I couldn't believe I'd never been there before.

I'd love to see those photos if you can post them here, I was too busy being lost and feeling bad about not getting the kids to the beach to take it all in properly.
    Was it the screamers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    some trip! but when you got as far as rathmullen after all that you should have stayed going for 10 minutes and got yourself here:
    ballymastocker.jpg

Is that Port Salon?

Edit I can see the html tag now and yep it is. :)
    Lovely spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Retrace your route in photographs...

Just use the directions (grey box) to continue moving the map along the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Excellent. Well done. :)

Advertisement