Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Entry to Bolivia

• 20-04-2009 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know if there will be any hassle getting into Bolivia if you are Irish because of what happened to that Dwyer guy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Single, young male, travelling alone, with that rugged, unshaven look? Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

darrenh wrote: »
    Does anybody know if there will be any hassle getting into Bolivia if you are Irish because of what happened to that Dwyer guy?

Was thinking that myself. You may want to contact the department in Argentina that are looking after this case. Quick google should get you right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Hi,

Has any Irish crossed into Bolivia over land and had any problems considering the Political tit for tat between the two countries. Someone at home told me that the Bolivian government has accused the Irish government of sending that guy to kill the president. I cant find reports of it on the net but if its true should we just stay away for now??!! Really want to go to Bolivia, but if they want to shoot random people with little evidence to back it up, we're a bit weary of going! Or am i just getting my knickers in a twist over nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mercy

There's no way they'd have accused Ireland of sending an assassin... That's ridiculous. What like... Are we going to invade or something?! :p

Lads ye'll be grand. It's obvious he was an oddball and just got way out of his depth. They're not cavemen, i'm sure Morales and the military know this. I doubt they're on the lookout for anymore Irish.

I have heard that the Irish government are interested in their coca industry!

I was only saying what i heard. Morales has been accused of faking assassination attempts before. I just dont fancy been the next one!

• Advertisement

Crap. You need a visa for Bolivia?! I didn't know this and i'm leaving on June 1st. Also from what I can make out there's no embassy in Ireland! Can anyone confirm this please :(

EDIT: Nvm. Phewwwwwwwwww. Had a mini heart attack there. Tourist visa not required. Stupid pink box flashing on the screen was actually just for business visas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Mercy wrote: »
    Also from what I can make out there's no embassy in Ireland! Can anyone confirm this please :(

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=376
    http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=285

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I´m in Santa Cruz in Bolivia now and although i didn´t cross after he was killed i have met Irish people who have crossed from both Argentina and Brasil after it and had no problems. There is no criticism on the news or in papers of Ireland around here and any locals i have been talking with haven´t mentioned anything negative to me. So don´t worry about it and just cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

Darren, let me know how you got on crossing the border (assuming you weren't shot!) cos myself and my girlfriend will be crossing from Peru in about a month's time and we're as Irish-looking as you can get!

Bad luck seems to follow us around here (narrowly missing us!):
    • Missed Swine Flu in Mexico by a week
    • A guy hijacked the plane we were supposed to be on from Cuba to Jamaica, but our flight changed to the day after!
    • Ireland declare war on Bolivia before we cross!!!

Darren, let me know how you got on crossing the border (assuming you weren't shot!) cos myself and my girlfriend will be crossing from Peru in about a month's time and we're as Irish-looking as you can get!

• A guy hijacked the plane we were supposed to be on from Cuba to Jamaica, but our flight changed to the day after!

You´ll be cool. I just crossed back into Bolivia through Villazón from Argentina with 3 Irish people and had no problems. Neither did they. Once there is no need for visas you´ll be okay.

• Advertisement

I didnt have a single problem. They barely looked at my passport. Looks like i was paranoid! You can never be sure though!!

and your credit card was stolen :rolleyes:

Could you let me know when you're going to each country so I can be in a different country each time :)

Yeah same here!!!!

If you're as Irish looking as you say, try and look intelligent :p

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

at this stage i might be best in ireland where the people are so helpful and kind in my time of need...

:mad:

Yeah I kind of thought that yesterday being honest. I'm in Argentina at the moment and I swear to God, it's like Bolivia in parts in the sense that they all drive useless, old, loud, rusty cars etc. I saw a dog yesterday (mid-sized to large) and he was in the middle of the road in a quiet estate (but they still drive like lunatics here) and the poor guy couldn't walk - reason being both his back legs were broken and he was panting and fallling over from side to side and using his front paws only to drag himself along (horrific) - there are lots of stray dogs in South America as you notice and I just couldn't think who could do such a thing and leave him there, it was pretty disgusting to watch - and the worst thing of all is there was nothing I could have done, no car, no vet skills, don't even speak Spanish that well - ****ing nothing. Horrible to watch. I had to throw what I was eating away and just turn around and run off back to the hotel as I was either going to cry or flip out.

You don't have to be a dog lover like me to realise just how ****ed up that is. I really think the police laws over here in SA are ridiculous; people driving with no lights on etc, drunk (obvious) driving and blatant speeding. It's disgusting the way they treat animals also. Ireland is leagues ahead of SA in most things being honest.

How can you even begin to compare the impoverished countries of South America to Ireland, one of the richest countries in Europe for a long time. I have traveled through South America for probably 2 years in total and there are a lot of thing South American countries are leagues ahead of than Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

How can you even begin to compare the impoverished countries of South America to Ireland, one of the richest countries in Europe for a long time. I have traveled through South America for probably 2 years in total and there are a lot of thing South American countries are leagues ahead of than Ireland.

Purely out of curiosity, what things?

Advertisement