Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxer consortium withdraws from digital TV deal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No effect on it as it doesn't affect the PSB free mux that replaces analogue.

Don't expect the freed spectrum to create a revolution. There isn't enough of it. Also if more than one operator gets it, it will be very limited in performance.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

watty wrote: »

Don't expect the freed spectrum to create a revolution. There isn't enough of it. Also if more than one operator gets it, it will be very limited in performance.

The EU really went on about the "digital dividend", is it really that small of a change?

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/12783/comms/boxer-consortium-withdraws-from-digital-tv-deal

Should have put this up earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

watty wrote: »

Watty - the PSB mux business case was based on RTE(NL) being able to secure revenues from the commercial operator. As the commercial operator has to use RTE(NL) for the transmisison and as the commercial operator now does not exist this impacts on RTE(NL)s ability to deliver the project.

RTE(NL) have probably spent about €30m already and need to spend many more 10's of €m's to launch.

If they no longer have the funds or business case then this WILL delay ASO. It's almost a perfect storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Rorser wrote: »
    The EU really went on about the "digital dividend", is it really that small of a change?

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/12783/comms/boxer-consortium-withdraws-from-digital-tv-deal

Should have put this up earlier.

You are right and in fact ComReg's own annual conference last year made some serious hay with the benefits of the digital dividend.

Watty - I am not sure if I share your view on the level of spectrum - it is enough to do SOMETHING with and SOMETHING is always better than nothing. It is (as you know) low frequency prime spectrum with a pile of kit available off the shelf to do many many different things - this means low prices and consumer choice. Will it change the world? Probably not but it will improve something and create new opportunites and probably a few jobs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0421/moriarty.html

Prob has more to do with it than the smoke screen they are putting out, wonder what the fine for pulling out is € wise.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

crawler wrote: »
    Watty - I am not sure if I share your view on the level of spectrum - it is enough to do SOMETHING with and SOMETHING is always better than nothing.

I agree with that. But I believe it will be misrepresented as equivalent to fixed Broadband.

Also there is STILL an over emphasis on "Competition" rather than efficient Infrastructure. The best speed/capacity is ONE network operator, not chopping the spectrum to smaller chunks for three operators.

It's not even a solution to Rural Broadband access unless Fixed Wireless is used. Any Mobile system as it uses small omni-directional portable aerial rather rhan roof/Chimney directional/higher gain aerial is x8 to x20 less speed/capacity than fixed wireless.

There also has to be the correct balance with the needs of HD or even 3D HD TV broadcasting terrestrially in the future. Ireland is never going to have a free Satellite service.

When ASO was originally envisaged, oddly HD was not considered, or extra channels, never mind some broadcasters using 1080p (twice the spectrum of 1080i HD) and 3D (also twice the 1080i spectrum at least potentially, though you can do a flickery version using 1080i).

Real life cell edge (or even up to 50% of users) of Mobile WiMax, HSPA and LTE shows the gap between headline 100Mbps speeds (which need 6 x 20MHz for a single network with N=3 and FDD) and average user speed of maybe 1Mbps to 2Mbps.

Even Web pages are so bloated now with Javascript and Flash and large images that you need 3Mbps for the sort of browsing experience that 10 people in an office/class sharing 128k ISDN got in 1999

Advertisement