Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody in the JJB Limerick?

Options
  • 20-04-2009 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hey just want to get an opinion here,im a member since more or less the place opened and although i love it there does anybody find it the most frustrating gym ever?

Why?

Because stuff breaks in there and NEVER gets fixed like 5 or 6 machines in the gym,the sunbed hasnt worked since JAN,no steamroom for the last 2 weeks,water fountain not worked since JAN also,only 1 vibrogym works,half the showers are freezing or boiling.But they cant do anything about the polish steroid idiots that stand beside you waiting 4 whatever your on.

Anybody else think the place has so much potential to be much better?

Sorry for ranting but when they send u letters and stop u going in when u have missed 1 direct debit it makes u look at these things!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Have you complained to the staff working there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

yeah i used to be a member there. they are doing everything on the cheap, and when stuff breaks they need to go to head office in the uk for money to fix it. even the building maintenance there is done by contractors from britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 weezy81

Well i have tried asking when this is gonna be fixed or whatever but dont want to say it too much as i will come across as being a complaining little ****,sad thing is that there probably isnt another proper health and fitness club in town...only U.L comes close.Hopefully more than me will complain and they will sort out the problems and i wont have to leave........

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

weezy81 wrote: »
    Well i have tried asking when this is gonna be fixed or whatever but dont want to say it too much as i will come across as being a complaining little ****,sad thing is that there probably isnt another proper health and fitness club in town...only U.L comes close.Hopefully more than me will complain and they will sort out the problems and i wont have to leave........

Seems a pain!
    Must look bad when potential members get a tour of the place to see the equipment out of order!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, your paying them an expensive membership fee so you are entitled to complain if something is not working or you are unhappy with their level of service. Given the times we are in gyms should be doing everything they can to keep their members happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I've been a member for about 16 months now. It can be a pain in the hole alright when you go to use a machine and it out of order !! :mad:

As the OP said, the showers are always cold, but they do heat up after about a minute or so!

Overall I think the place is grand, if you can get over all the little hick-ups!

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP, your paying them an expensive membership fee so you are entitled to complain if something is not working or you are unhappy with their level of service. Given the times we are in gyms should be doing everything they can to keep their members happy.

Yeah this is true and i think i might say something because 2 days ago i went and a couple of the leg machines were out,wanted to do a sunbed but couldnt(since jan),went in to relax in the steamroom but couldnt,was pissed off about this so went back for a shower and they were ALL cold and didnt heat up after a min :confused:

The girl that is the manager is a nice girl but its pretty obvious the place is a bit of a disaster zone dont know if its her fault or she is restricted by upper management and engineers coming from the UK.If i was the manager i would be demanding to my superiors to get local engineers rather than have it as it is.

Yeah this is true and i think i might say something because 2 days ago i went and a couple of the leg machines were out,wanted to do a sunbed but couldnt(since jan),went in to relax in the steamroom but couldnt,was pissed off about this so went back for a shower and they were ALL cold and didnt heat up after a min :confused:

The girl that is the manager is a nice girl but its pretty obvious the place is a bit of a disaster zone dont know if its her fault or she is restricted by upper management and engineers coming from the UK.If i was the manager i would be demanding to my superiors to get local engineers rather than have it as it is.

It's not that simple. They bring in the UK engineers because they have a contract with a UK company to service all the sites (including Ireland). This was probably negotiated at a cheaper rate then normal, because of the volume of sites. To bring in local engineers would cost them a lot more. It's simply a cost saving method. A pain for the customer, but it's one of the many things that will keep them afloat during the bad times.

its plumbers they need not engineers. (pedantic pat the engineer here)
    i heard recently they were going to close that place down, anyone else hear that? i wouldnt be surprised if the shop went but the gym was always packed when i was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Still a joke in there.
    Been a member now for about 3 years.
    The water machine is still broken as in the one of the taps is broke.
    It's been awhile since the steam room goes down tbh so I'll let them off with that.

What I cannot stand is no shampoo in the shower rooms or toilets and they being filthy.
    Several times I've been in there at the weekend and no bog roll.
    Reason? No male staff on to check the toilets...maybe they should fcukin start 5 mins early to do these checks or do them after they close.
    I've already given out to them about this..I hear tonnes of ppl complaining but nobody bothers their ass to complain to staff.

• Advertisement

Baldie wrote: »
    It's not that simple. They bring in the UK engineers because they have a contract with a UK company to service all the sites (including Ireland). This was probably negotiated at a cheaper rate then normal, because of the volume of sites. To bring in local engineers would cost them a lot more. It's simply a cost saving method. A pain for the customer, but it's one of the many things that will keep them afloat during the bad times.

Yeah this is true man but is it good business sense to have half of your gym not working for weeks on end and in a lot of cases 4 months,aswell as that to have members getting angry everytime they go in.I know im not the only one who thinks this but it is unfortunate that more people do not complain because than they would have to do something......

To be honest, I've been in worse gyms in the city, constantly cold showers, full of scumbags, and things been stolen...

I do agree with you, they do need to pul their fingers out of their holes, and be a bit more pro-active..

Still a joke in there.
    Been a member now for about 3 years.
    The water machine is still broken as in the one of the taps is broke.
    It's been awhile since the steam room goes down tbh so I'll let them off with that.

What I cannot stand is no shampoo in the shower rooms or toilets and they being filthy.
    Several times I've been in there at the weekend and no bog roll.
    Reason? No male staff on to check the toilets...maybe they should fcukin start 5 mins early to do these checks or do them after they close.
    I've already given out to them about this..I hear tonnes of ppl complaining but nobody bothers their ass to complain to staff.

Yeah its all these things that when happen together on the same day is enough to drive someone crazy.There was no shampoo there for about a month and no bags for swim gear.The toilets always stink bad but looking at that idiot blockhead cleaner explains that one,i too hear people sitting down in the sauna complaining but nobody brings it to the manager,its a shame because it is a nice gym that if worked at 100% capacity would be awesome but the truth is that it never operates above 65%.....

To be honest, I've been in worse gyms in the city, constantly cold showers, full of scumbags, and things been stolen...

I do agree with you, they do need to pul their fingers out of their holes, and be a bit more pro-active..

This is very true i just that description alone specifically describes the one i left to go to the JJB but you know that is why it is frustrating because it is one of the better places it just need a better system....

This is very true i just that description alone specifically describes the one i left to go to the JJB but you know that is why it is frustrating because it is one of the better places it just need a better system....

Small world ha!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

try castletroy park hotel. its nice and quiet and stafa re sound. expensive though. i'm not a member but I go with my bro the odd time. its very very nice. now waiting around and everything works perfect. used to be member in UL and that place is a joke. waiting around like a vegetable for machines constantly and polish body builders flexing their muscles infront of mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

I was a member of JJB for a year, left there before xmas cause I just couldn't stand the place any more... If you don't like it go somewhere else

TheLoc wrote: »
    try castletroy park hotel. its nice and quiet and stafa re sound. expensive though. i'm not a member but I go with my bro the odd time. its very very nice. now waiting around and everything works perfect. used to be member in UL and that place is a joke. waiting around like a vegetable for machines constantly and polish body builders flexing their muscles infront of mirrors.

Wow U.L was actually the place i was gonna go to had my patience run out in the JJB but it sounds just as bad,i didnt think they had that many polish dickheads there i thought they were ALL in JJB.I might check out Castletroy Park,i was waiting for someone to say "if you dont like it go somewhere else" but its not that simple when there are no other options around.

Only other place that came close was Crunch,JJB is actually the best in town if they ran the place properly.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Wow U.L was actually the place i was gonna go to had my patience run out in the JJB but it sounds just as bad,i didnt think they had that many polish dickheads there i thought they were ALL in JJB.I might check out Castletroy Park,i was waiting for someone to say "if you dont like it go somewhere else" but its not that simple when there are no other options around.

Only other place that came close was Crunch,JJB is actually the best in town if they ran the place properly.....

i train in UL 5 days a week and have never experienced any problems there. its one of the best equipped gyms ive come across...

and secondly polish dickheads....wtf...whats wrong with polish people in gyms? i know some of the ones that train in ul and put a serious amount of effort into there training...

i train in UL 5 days a week and have never experienced any problems there. its one of the best equipped gyms ive come across...

and secondly polish dickheads....wtf...whats wrong with polish people in gyms? i know some of the ones that train in ul and put a serious amount of effort into there training...

Well the ones that are in JJB are mostly dickheads dont know about U.L,they can just be very rude,stand beside you until you finish on a machine which may sound petty but is actually very uncomfortable when you are training,never put weights back etc just have a different ettiquette and manners but as i said that has been my experience.....

• Advertisement

stand beside you until you finish on a machine

thats probably a queue or they may want to 'work in' with you. this can greatly reduce the waiting time for machines.

i have never had any problems with the polish in jjb, the ones with decent english seem dead on and have often given me a spot or training tips. they are no worse at not putting weights back as the non polish

I heard rumours that JJB might be closing in Limeick. They're looking at closing some stores in the UK alright. Hopefully this just applies to the retail shops and not the gyms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

lg123 wrote: »
    thats probably a queue or they may want to 'work in' with you. this can greatly reduce the waiting time for machines.

i have never had any problems with the polish in jjb, the ones with decent english seem dead on and have often given me a spot or training tips. they are no worse at not putting weights back as the non polish

I totally agree here...i cant understand people who have a problem with people working in...unless there is a serious weight difference being lifted and it becomes a pain to load and deload between sets...normally if i see someone asking i ask them if they want to jump in...its called politeness.. as for the polish..most of them no more about training than your average irish gym going person...

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭XxXciaraxXx

I heard rumours that JJB might be closing in Limeick. They're looking at closing some stores in the UK alright.

That article is dated 16th of April 2008!

That article is dated 16th of April 2008!

Oooops...

Anyway, I was talking to a staff member last night, and he said they are having meetings i about 2 weeks to discuss the situation. He said they should be ok as they have 3000 members. This must be some criteria that they must have to stay open. He said if they do cose, up the place might be taken over by a new company.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

+1 on this.

Go to UL 6 days a week, never have any problem there, great gym, its clean, well kept and if Polish folk bother ya, I would say there are not too many but they are all sound from my experience.

Only jip about UL is parking in the day time is a joke but thats the only negative thing I can say about UL.

My membership runs out in 2 weeks and I for one will most certainly be renewing that immediatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Have to agree with original poster. There is too much broken in there too often. There are 3-4 machines or pieces of equipment broken at any one time.
    The sun bed (mens) has been broken since March 22nd - this is after they had it working for a week prior to being out of action for a further 3 weeks from what I remember

One of the things just inside the entrance to the main gym that women use to rattle their arses and hammers is broken for about 3 weeks too

I'm not sure there is any point complaining to staff either, most of them are foreign (nothing against that btw) and tend to hang around together at reception chatting in another language...besides, I'm sure if they were overly concerned about fixing stuff it wouldn't take members complaining to action it...its blatantly obvious the place needs attention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

i hear the clarion and dave sheehan fitness are suppose to good,check them out

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

Does anyone know how much Castletroy Park is? Am in JJB at the moment and really like it but the pool is always a bit busy so would prefer something a bit quieter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

shoppergal wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much Castletroy Park is? Am in JJB at the moment and really like it but the pool is always a bit busy so would prefer something a bit quieter.

Im sure it is about €700 the last time I checked. Sounds pricey but if you like a more relaxed workout, quiter pool, no Polish beefcakes or local scummers hogging the weights then its just the place for you!

If JJB closes where will everyone go I wonder?

Advertisement