Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OL English

Options
  • 20-04-2009 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

Could someone post up what novels are on the syllabus and exam paper structure as I am considering dropping down and can't get on to the department of education website?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

PAPER 1
    • This paper is divided into two sections,
    Section I COMPREHENDING and Section II COMPOSING.
    • The paper contains three texts on the general theme of LIFESTYLES.
    • Candidates should familiarise themselves with each of the texts before beginning
    their answers.
    • Both sections of this paper (COMPREHENDING and COMPOSING) must be
    attempted.
    • Each section carries 100 marks.
    SECTION I – COMPREHENDING
    • Two Questions, A and B, follow each text.
    • Candidates must answer a Question A on one text and a Question B on a different
    text. Candidates must answer only one Question A and only one Question B.
    • N.B. Candidates may NOT answer a Question A and a Question B on the same text.
    SECTION II – COMPOSING
    • Candidates must write on one of the compositions 1 – 7.

PAPER 2
    Candidates must attempt the following:-
    • ONE question from SECTION I – The Single Text
    • ONE question from SECTION II – The Comparative Study
    • THE QUESTIONS on the Unseen Poem from SECTION III – Poetry
    • The questions on ONE of the Prescribed Poems from SECTION III – Poetry

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Cheers Gav.

Looks grand as only change I'll have to make is answer Macbeth in the comparative but that suits me as I know PHC a lot better.

Do you have to know all 36 poems? How many could you get away with knowing? Only ever done 14 of them and don't some of them all that well.

Cheers Gav.

Looks grand as only change I'll have to make is answer Macbeth in the comparative but that suits me as I know PHC a lot better.

Do you have to know all 36 poems? How many could you get away with knowing? Only ever done 14 of them and don't some of them all that well.

No bother, always thought you were older (e.g. in college because of the supporting of UCD:D). I don't do Ordinary so I'm not 100% sure, 36 poems so I'm guessing 6 poets. Anyway 4 poems come up on the paper (you know the poems are actually on the paper), so that's 4 poets, so if you learned 3 poets you'd be able to answer at least one question for the Poetry Section presuming there is only 6 poets on the whole course for Ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

If you're dropping down, you won't have to change anything. You can answer on Macbeth for your single text and drop one of your comparatives. As for the poetry, yeah there are 36 poems on the course but you only need to know 18+ (the OL poems by the poets you've already done) as 2 of the poems are single poems and 2 are poems by poets on the HL course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Does anyone know how much you have to write for each section and how long the answers have to be?

Does anyone know how much you have to write for each section and how long the answers have to be?

I'd usually say go with the "50 marks = 50 lines" job for Ordinary Level, I know for Higher I do say 75 lines for 50 marks. or thereabouts and it's always enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

The essay should be about 3 pages, and the comparative should be about 3 pages. The poetry single text and comprehensions should only be like half a page. And the letters or reviews that type of thing should be 1-2 pages. The poems are on the paper so if your handy enough at understanding poetry you should be grand. Its really just like honours for the j/c.

Advertisement