Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSc in Information Systems and Information Technology

Options
  • 20-04-2009 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello all,

Can someone give me some information on this course which I am thinking of applying for in September - part time.

Is the course difficult? The content looks somewhat technical which lots of maths content.

What are the career prospects for someone having completed this course.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 NiteOwl2

Hi, people I know who have done the course have enjoyed it a great deal. There are maths parts to it, but i think that is very helpful for subjects in later years. I think you can get a job as programmer (Softeware Developer), IT Manager, Designer (Analyst), Software Tester, or other specific jobs depending on the options you take in the final year of the course, e.g. Network administrator, or CIO, etc.

From what I know about the course, it starts off fairly easily for the first year, getting a little harder the next year, a little harder the next, etc. so it's manageable.

The website is
    http://www.comp.dit.ie/dt249/

Hope this helps,

NiteOwl.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

Hi, I join the discussion because I have a similar question related to the course. I've been working in IT for the past 11 years, and sometimes I couldn't get a position, even if I was qualified, because the employer specifically required a BSc (internal policies). :rolleyes:
    For this reason I thought it could be worth to have a look at the course programme, and I noticed that many of the topics, especially in the first stage, are something I already know well.

So, my question is kind of "reversed": would this course be too boring? Given that probably I'd need to study advanced subjects anyway, is it possible to "take a shortcut" in some ways?

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

I'm currently in the 3rd year of this course. I entered directly into 3rd year based on previous experience; the course is modular and you can request exemption from modules if you think it is warranted and they concur.

The course is a mix of technical and business subjects, but maths isn't a major part of it, just the basics for computing. It's a good mix to have whatever IT job you go for in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

daigo75 wrote: »

So, my question is kind of "reversed": would this course be too boring? Given that probably I'd need to study advanced subjects anyway, is it possible to "take a shortcut" in some ways?

Thanks. :)

Shortcuts are always possible (I will get hounded for this but what the hell :D ) - you could actually not attend lectures, hand in good standard assignments each semester, study past exam papers and end of year notes and I reckon you would pass, well the first year anyway

Having said that when you pay your course fee, you are actually paying the majority for lectures which are of a good standard in DIT (well most cases) - so in my case I'm too mean to pay for lectures and miss them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Maurice1978

Thanks for the replies guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement