Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone learning an english essay off by heart?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

To be honest I think it's pretty poor preperation not have "learned off" at least the general gist of your essays for paper 2. I'm not talking about learning 6/7 A4 pages by heart, but at least know the gist of a general essay on a few poets and make sure you know plenty of quotes and are comfortable slipping them in where relevant. I had a general introduction and conclusion for all my poetry essays that just needed tweaking and substituting for different poets, and then I knew pretty much what I was going to write on the individual poems, obviously depending on the question asked.

Much more difficult to prepare an essay for the single text, all that can be done really is to know the tesxt inside out and again know plenty of quotes that you're comfortable using.

Comparative can, and in my opinion should, be learned almost by heart as the questions are usually extremely general and a good essay can be adjusted to fit almost any question.

All that being said, I didn't like my comparative question and got stung quite badly by the poets on my paper so I ended up throwing something together on the spot rather than anything I felt I knew well...

Came out with an A1, so I guess it's each to their own really! Whatever works best for you;)

Advertisement