Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time it takes to apply and get a skilled migrant visa?

Options
  • 20-04-2009 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys.

My old employer has just called me offering me a job in Brisbane. I worked for them when on my WHV.

I am back in Ireland now 18 months and would not be sorry to see the back of this place at the mo.

The only problem is that he tells me that sponsoring me is not really an option at the moment as they have clamped down on the number they can sponsor. It is a large civil engineering crowd and when I was working for them the had about 70% paddys then.

Anybody know on the time line for sponsoring yourself on a skilled migrant visa?

I am a qualified mechanic and contemplating going about it this way.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭bushykangaroo

Were you working as a mechanic or as a civil engineer when with them, out of interest? Im not sure about sponsoring yourself, i thought engineering was taken off the critical skills list, will that be a factor? perhaps other posters will know more. Congrats on the job offer though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I was doing all sorts the last time, truck driving, burying pipes etc

It is as a mechanic that the poisition is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Hi Slidey, at the moment they are up to Aug 08 on the CSL list but there are some modl's waiting since March 08 for their skilled visa. Mechanic is not on the CSL, Engineers are. If you are not on CSL the answer to your question is how long is a piece of string, they keep moving the goal posts for processing so one person could have the visa in a few months - others a year or more. Heres the link for CSL:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/critical-skills-list.pdf

The quickest way at the moment is state nominated so you should check the other skilled visa thread for the links to the various states and check if they are nominating for your trade. You will still have to have a skills assessment, that usually only takes a couple of weeks but the gathering of the information can take a bit of time.

HB

Thanks for that HB.

I was sure it was on the list... AFAIK it was on it.

I'll have a look at the list 2mrw in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

If its not on csl I reckon you are looking at 18 months plus. Minimum for perm res even with out the economic downturn is usually 12 months

• Advertisement

Just checked out the QLD section on the immi website.

On the Skilled Sponsored Eligible Skills List both motor mechanic and fitter (which I would be closer to) are on the list.

Is this list for getting sponsored by a company or is this part of the skilled migrant visa list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Skilled Sponsored Eligible Skills

i think that sort of answers itself

jaysus, bit of a *facepalm* moment there on my part :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

could you push the company for sponsorship? especially if you explain the changes to the skilled migrant visa whereby alot of trade skills were removed, they might not be fully aware of the current situation...could be worth a shot if migrant visa is out of reach and if you're waiting up to two years for approval do you think the job would still be there?

This particular job will be filled by then, I had an idea that even if I was able to go out there on a SMV that I wouldnt be able to get it sorted in time.

They have an awful lot of sponsored employees already and from what I was told have to now employ a barrister to get the last batch of them in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Hi Slidey, yes your occupation is on the MODL but not the CSL, as I said above some modl's have been waiting more than 12 mths - we've been waiting 8 mths already and will probably get ours the end of this year if we are lucky. The state sponsorship really is your best option, you'd be looking at around 5 mths for that one (subject to change of course) and you'd be tied to Qld for 2 years (morally not legally) but if thats where the job is it shouldn't be a big deal for you. As you've already had your WHV I don't see a quicker way for you to legally get there - unless the employer sponsors you.

HB

Advertisement