Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Too soon for her to move in?

• 20-04-2009 11:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've asked my girlfriend to move in with me and all my mates think i'm mad! They say that will be end of my lads nights out and that she'll be watching me like a hawk. We've only been together less than a year, but I love her and love her being around.
    What do other blokes think? How long should u be with a girl before moving in?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm female but I'd say minimum two years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I've asked my girlfriend to move in with me and all my mates think i'm mad! They say that will be end of my lads nights out and that she'll be watching me like a hawk. We've only been together less than a year, but I love her and love her being around.

Well, if she's not like that now, its unlikely (but not impossible) that she'll change that much after you move in.

As the saying goes, 'If you want to know me, come live with me'. I wouldn't say there's a time limit on it, its whenever you're ready enough to ask, and they're ready enough to say yes, or vice versa.

Its the best test of whether you're compatible or not, its normally apparent fairly quickly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Honestly, there's no one time limit for all couples. I was fine living with my exes (one after the first week, was with him for another two years, and the other the day I met him, lasted a year).

Just make sure you realize that it will change things completely.. have a trial I suppose, you might drive each other nuts so you want to have a fallback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Hmm, I moved in after about 7 months, the only bad thing was that it put me off getting married for a LONG time (we did after 9 years)...your life does not have to stop because you are living with someone, I dont see the harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭mardybum

It depends! I know with me I was seeing a guy and we basically did live with each other, alway in one or the others house. Practically it was a nightmare! You never have the stuff you need coz you're in the wrong house. We moved in, and it was great. Just remember that you need to make time to do stuff together other than hanging out in your house, and to hang out with your mates. And what is she going to be 'always watching' you for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

If you want her to move in, ask her to move in. There is no magic time to ask. While you're doing the asking, ask your friends to mature a bit and accept that she makes you happy and she's the one going to be moving in, not them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

I moved in with my current OH after about 7 months. It was quick I suppose but we were happy enough about it and still together after 4 years so obviously doing something right.
    We were renting intially and bought a house last year.

It varies from couple to couple when it feels right to move in together.

It is important to still make the effort to go out with each other - it is very easy to fall in to the habit of sitting in and watching TV night after night when you first move in together ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Purely up to the 2 individuals involved man.Pass no remarks on your friends either,its possible they are jealous so this crap of them saying "its the end of lads nights" is rubbish.
    2 friends of mine bought a house together after about 12 months together.
    6 years on they are married with a beautiful baby girl and have never been happier.
    Best of luck to you both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Ya we where together about 11 Months when we moved in together, Still together after 6 years and engaged. Only thing I will say is that yes there prob will be less "lads nights" if it feels right for you do it, Don't mind anyone else. What makes anyone else an expert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My GF moved in when i was 25 and im 27 now and its great. I had the same experience from my mates but to be honest it be just jealously on your mates part.

You and only you know if she will try control your lads nights out and social life. moving in with her you get to know very well and if you want to spend your life with her. If I wanna go out with my mate i just make sure i do something with her on the other night at the wkend and we both compromise.

there is no tim limit when it feels right to move in. its down to the couple and their circumtances but give it a go and see if works out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

theres no definitive time-frame for these things, they are all different for everybody - i was engaged after 10 months so moving in wouldnt seem that big a deal to me. As long as you are both happy then tell your friends to butt out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I moved in with my wife after around a year and a half.
    Get ready - cause this is when we REALLY had some fights.
    Worked thru it though and still going strong 15yrs later.

Best of luck - trust yourself - your gut said it was time - just make sure your mind has caught up.

Also - make sure all fights are sorted same day - never ever go to bed (even separately) angry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭TheDollyParton

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule, you know your gf better than your mates, and not all girls watch like a hawk! I lived with an ex, and if anything I went out more than he did! The only advice I'd give is to make sure you share house duties evenly, and more importantly, make sure you still get out and do things together, and spend designated time together. We got to a stage where we were seeing each other a lot obviously because we lived together, but not spending any "quality time" together. I know it sounds cheesy but its true. I remember going to bed one night and realising that we hadn't had a proper conversation in weeks, we were just living parallel lives. So. Wouldn't worry about the time frame but make sure you put the effort in so that she still feels special, and vice versa.

Advertisement