Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad press?

Options
  • 20-04-2009 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭

I heard some talk on the radio this evening about the premier/advance screenings/something or other in London today. apparently, there were loads of trekkies showing up dressed in uniforms from the show. do these idiots not realize that that's what killed the franchise in the first place? that if ST is to return to the mainstream, it needs to loose the "geek in basement" steriotype it draws?

It can do more harm than good. i know a few people who won't go near the film based on this alone, regardless of the films merits.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

hmmm, who cares though. If certain people avoid a movie based on the fact that they might be considered nerds then they are idiotic for this situation. If people want to wear ST uniforms let them, its not a big deal. Ok some of these people are cringeworthy in the way they can go on but they have balls to go out there and be different.

Also whats reported in the media may not be true. But then the mainstream media has been anything but fair to ST, instead prefering to stereotype it as nerdy. Given that most people prefer Corrie and reality TV this isn't surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

what ??? :confused: .

Listen star trek can try and be more main stream all it wants , and it needs to get new people into the movie, but it cant afford to lose its fanbase , i mean who cares , star wars , lord of the ring ,and harry potter fans are just as geeky . and not half as cool. I would have no problem going to an Irish showing of the movie in my gold tos top .
    :cool:

Speaking as someone present at the premiere, I can tell you that I seen 5 people dressed up. 3 were wearing Next Gen uniforms and looking for autographs.

The other 2 were actually getting in to see the movie. Nothing over the top. In fact comments were made on the night about how few fans came dressed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Even worse, I saw Jeremy Clarkson there! That's a death knell if ever I did see one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Demonique wrote: »
    Even worse, I saw Jeremy Clarkson there! That's a death knell if ever I did see one!

He's a twat, you know :D

I will certainly be wearing my yellow Kirk command shirt to all and any showings of the movie (as long as I can loose about 10 kilos first :eek:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement