Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D coming to Storm

• 21-04-2009 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

For all you movie goers a bit of good news!!!!Storm cinema is getting a 3D digital projector installed and will be playing movies in 3D by the middle of May!for anyone who hasnt seen a 3D movie its well worth checking out,i saw monsters v aliens in Dungarvan and it was excellent,blew me away.should installed in time for Coraline to be played in 3D!:cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

All or one screen?

I assume your a staff member.. I thought Storm was bought out from one of the bigger chains?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

For all you movie goers a bit of good news!!!!Storm cinema is getting a 3D digital projector installed and will be playing movies in 3D by the middle of May!for anyone who hasnt seen a 3D movie its well worth checking out,i saw monsters v aliens in Dungarvan and it was excellent,blew me away.should installed in time for Coraline to be played in 3D!:cool:

I'm presuming if you're posting here to promote the cinema you won't mind answering a couple of queries that your staff have been extremely unhelpful with in the past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 strmtrooper

just in one screen,number 2.nah not a staff member but v good friends with one!yeh blew me away,its an expression meaning i thought it was excellent.....:rolleyes:,hadnt seen anything 3d since those old dinosaur magazines with the crappy red+green glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Is it imax-ish 3D? Last thing that truly 'blew' me. Away. Seriously though, ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 strmtrooper

I'm presuming if you're posting here to promote the cinema you won't mind answering a couple of queries that your staff have been extremely unhelpful with in the past?

well i wouldnt say im promoting the cinema just letting people know that something new is coming.but if u want questions answered bring it on. in reply to efla yeh it will be like imax.sully the storm franchise was brought out by odeon but keeping the storm brand name for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Off topic: there really hasn't been anything worth watching in weeks.

On Topic: I didn't realise Storm where taken over, did they go under or where they bought out?

If you want a suggestion strmtrooper for your "mate" I'll say this as someone who can *Ahem* See's films elsewhere I will not pay the €9.50 to go to the cinema unless its a film of an actor I really like or film I reall want to see. Maybe the most I go now is Once maybe twice a month at most.

Now, some cinema's in dublin have these cinema clubs to go see as many films as you want for say I think it €27 odd a month, could storm run someting like this? I tell ya this now with the mark-up from your sweets/drinks (not just you but every cinema) you'll make back three times the money IMO.

All in all I like storm and I'm glad its getting 3D cause I was blown away by it when I saw it first and only time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

ziedth wrote: »
    Off topic: there really hasn't been anything worth watching in weeks.

On Topic: I didn't realise Storm where taken over, did they go under or where they bought out?

If you want a suggestion strmtrooper for your "mate" I'll say this as someone who can *Ahem* See's films elsewhere I will not pay the €9.50 to go to the cinema unless its a film of an actor I really like or film I reall want to see. Maybe the most I go now is Once maybe twice a month at most.

Now, some cinema's in dublin have these cinema clubs to go see as many films as you want for say I think it €27 odd a month, could storm run someting like this? I tell ya this now with the mark-up from your sweets/drinks (not just you but every cinema) you'll make back three times the money IMO.

All in all I like storm and I'm glad its getting 3D cause I was blown away by it when I saw it first and only time.

Great idea Z........perhaps they could launch it and call members stormtroopers:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ziedth so your posting a question about how the cinema prices its films and offers it has which your putting to a normal staff member, you know your not going to get an answer you like or want.

Address it to storm directly through their head office, atleast they will be better able to answer it

I'm not too pushed about it to be honest Budd, I just said since we were talking about comments for the palce I said I would throw it down.

I just always felt it was a good Idea I think its UGC do it in Dublin IIRC. If I get a chance today (Who am i kidding of course I will :D) I'll send them an email maybe suggesting it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I just always felt it was a good Idea I think its UGC do it in Dublin IIRC. If I get a chance today (Who am i kidding of course I will :D) I'll send them an email maybe suggesting it.

I'd agree a cinema club offer would be great, certainly appeal to alot of people and would get more arses in seats but I guess they are happy with 9e or whatever it is ago at the moment :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

.sully the storm franchise was brought out by odeon but keeping the storm brand name for the moment.

Wasnt aware it was Odeon. I assume they just own it but are keeping things as they were, as there has been no changes (like prices, offers, websites etc.)

Also, the last time someone from storm was here they said ye were getting Pick'n'Mix. Im still waiting!

Cinema Club thing isnt a bad idea.

PS. Would ye ever got some decent bags of sweets in like Chocolate Buttons for instance! :P

I just sent them a quick Email there so I'll let yee know if anything comes of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I just sent them a quick Email there so I'll let yee know if anything comes of it.
    Did you ask for the chocolate buttons?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

The Republic of Ireland cinemas, although retaining the UCI name, are being managed as part of Odeon Cinemas and have introduced parts of their offer, such as Premier seating and the Odeon inhouse magazine, "Onscreen". Advertising now also bears the Odeon logo font in many cases. In August 2007, UCI launched a new Irish website with an identical layout to odeon.co.uk. This website states that the Irish cinemas were sold to an Irish group, Entertainment Enterprises, in September 2006. This transaction went unreported in the Irish media. It also states that the cinemas remain part of the Odeon chain under a management contract. In April 2008, Entertainment Enterprises announced that it would be acquiring the Storm Cinemas chain with the exception of the Belfast cinema, and would be contracting the management of the cinemas to Odeon. This gives Odeon/UCI 8 cinemas (with 61 screens) in the Republic of Ireland. As of yet it is undecided whether the cinemas will adopt either the UCI or Odeon brands

Wonder if there are plans to roll out 3d projs to the other storm cinemas.

or better still, a digi-projector

Did you ask for the chocolate buttons?????

No No, you have to pick your battles. Choclate Buttons are the absoulte end to my struggle. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 I Love Tea

kaimera wrote: »

Wonder if there are plans to roll out 3d projs to the other storm cinemas.

or better still, a digi-projector

All new 3d projectors are digital.Its thanks to the advent of digital projectors and servers that makes it possible for the major studios to make 3d movies so easily nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I have to say I went to see Beowolf as normal down in Storm, then went to see it in 3d in Dungarvan that weekend and it was like watching a completely different film. It was absolutely class!

Glad to see Storm are getting the technology in. Interesting to hear about their sale too; didn't know that had happened. Maybe their ability to give better offers etc will be increased by being part of a bigger organisation?

@Ziedth: Who did you send that email to?

I think there should be a Boards discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

FYI,
    FREE Ben & Jerrys today at Storm Cinema in Waterford

Voucher can be downloaded here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055544040

http://www.benjerry.ie/freeconeday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭googlefan

I was totally pissed off that the Clough film wasn't available in Waterford. Great cast, reviews and available in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

googlefan wrote: »
    I was totally pissed off that the Clough film wasn't available in Waterford. Great cast, reviews and available in Dublin.

That's my main problem with Storm, the quality of films it gets in. I'd love a small cinema where some of the more independent films could be shown. I know Garter lane does it but it has only one screen. I'm spoiled by the IFI in Dublin when I go there at the weekends. Would love something similar down here. Having only one cinema doesn't help from a competition point of view either.

Back on topic: The digital projector for Storm is a welcome investment. I find myself driving to Dungarvan to watch any 3D film that is only shown in 2D in Storm. Would welcome the shorter drive!

P.S. Dying to see Anvil: The Story of Anvil. If you don't know what it is google it. Well worth it.

• Advertisement

nkay1985 wrote: »
    @Ziedth: Who did you send that email to?

It was waterford@stormcinemas.ie, I came across it in a fairly obscure part of the storm website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

What's the story with this...do you still have to wear the funny shades to get the effect?

I remember seeing Jaws 3-D like that in the Regina...

Hopefully they'll show the U23D movie that I missed last year.

gscully wrote: »
    What's the story with this...do you still have to wear the funny shades to get the effect?

No it's nothing like the old 3-D red and green movies from the 80's you wear normal glasses for all the world and TBH it's just madness how good it really is. I saw a few adverts up in Dungarvan before Cloverfield and thew just blew me away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

just be careful ur not ripped off for the glasses, thuogh u probably will, a person i know went to see monster v aliens here and on top of the $10 ticket she had to fork out $3.50 to "rent" the dam glasses!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

magick wrote: »
    just be careful ur not ripped off for the glasses, thuogh u probably will, a person i know went to see monster v aliens here and on top of the $10 ticket she had to fork out $3.50 to "rent" the dam glasses!

Where the hell was that? I have loads of pairs left over from the 3D movies I've seen. Never had to pay for them. Never got asked to hand them back after the film.

Where the hell was that? .

In San Francisco I'd imagine ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

Waterford Film for All screen a film at Storm nearly every Tuesday at 8.30pm
    You buy the ticket and grub normally. As you go inside, they usually give you a slip of paper to rate the film. There have been some very good ones on recently. The Reader(Kate Winslett) is next week.

http://www.waterfordfilmforall.com/****.php

Garter Lane also have films on Sundays, though they show them too early really, 7pm. A few of these get shown at later dates by WFFA.

http://www.garterlane.ie/top-events.php?category=Film

Agree that Storm do seem to miss screening some good films for no apparant reason. In hindsight, I wish they had missed "The Spirit" and "Watchmen". I will never get that time back again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 amyloneill

wonder will a 3D movie cost more to see in the cinema or will the price be the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

It will cost more if other cinemas are to go on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement