Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a camera for using at gigs

• 21-04-2009 12:43am

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for a good digital camera which I can take to gigs. It has to be compact and easily carried in my pocket. I'd be looking for at least 10 million mega pixels and a decent zoom. Also I would need to be able to record decent quality footage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Budget?

I'll be picking it up in Amercia so I'm thinking in the price range of 200-400 dollars. I'd be willing to go higher if it was worth it. My Dad has a high end digital camera but there's not a hope I could get it into a gig. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Any of the branded 10 million mega pixel cameras with a decent zoom should be adequate!

Seriously though, compact point and shoot or SLR? Like the last poster said, budget?

Any particular reason you need it to be 10mp+, planning on doing a load of big prints or cropping?

This Lumix TZ50 would be an excellent buy. I personally use the TZ3 p&s and find it a lovely little camera. I don't have any gig shots to show you from it unfortunately.

Apart from that, the Canon Powershot and Ixus cameras are fantastic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Tactical wrote: »
    Any of the branded 10 million mega pixel cameras with a decent zoom should be adequate!

not at all.

look at entry level dslr with a 50mm 1.8 lens to get ya started, 400 might cover it, anything less will bit you in the ass when it comes to low light

• Advertisement

not at all.

look at entry level dslr with a 50mm 1.8 lens to get ya started, 400 might cover it, anything less will bit you in the ass when it comes to low light

Sorry, I was trying to make a joke as the OP had pretty much outlined what they wanted. Humour can be hard to get right on a forum I guess.

It all depends on what you (the OP) are trying to achieve at a gig.

Sensor noise can sometimes be a big issue on the entry level cameras unless of course you're looking for a particular effect.

Hey, not bad!

Love the shilloutted audiance. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

High ISO performance matters more to you than mp count, unless you go SLR as above with a 50mm lens. Good gig? :)

not at all.

Well, the only problem there being it doesn't fit the "easy to fit in pocket" and "decent zoom" requirements.

Wouldn't something like this suit their requirements relatively well (though I don't know what kind of noise can be expected at its highest ISO) if they were to forfeit the "fits in pocket" requirement without going DSLR?

Canon G9 seems within range

• Advertisement

efla wrote: »
    Canon G9 seems within range
    Could be a bit too expensive though? Can only find it on Amazon for $700 (new)

Sorry, mis-read the budget!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Rb wrote: »
    Well, the only problem there being it doesn't fit the "easy to fit in pocket" and "decent zoom" requirements.

Wouldn't something like this suit their requirements relatively well (though I don't know what kind of noise can be expected at its highest ISO) if they were to forfeit the "fits in pocket" requirement without going DSLR?

a d40 with 50mm would be same size...

your comprimising alot with them bridge cameras, and gig photography is probably imo the most gear hungry... needs such low ap lens and great noise, the fujis just dont cut it with gig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

You do realise there's no such thing as a 10 million megapixel camera lol

But yeah any p&s camera will do. 7MP is more than enough unless your blowing them up

I recommend any of the lumix series

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Darko will be away for a day for the MCD Breach.

Fwiw saw the Canon G9 on Amazon.co.uk today for £259

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

OP depends on what kind of pics you are trying to achieve from the gigs ... are you talking about getting decent pics from a "proper" gig .... one of those organised by "those who cannot be named" .....if so, I suggest that you give up and dont run the risk - ask one of the photographers for a card.

if you are talking about lesser known gigs then get a decent camera but with a high ISO range (due to very bad lighting)..... and shoot away !!!

Sorry to drag this back up but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on a camera. Relative is offering to pick up a camera for me in Willoughbys camera shop in New York. So what do people recommend from the site. I want a decent camera which I can use at gigs but also for doing college projects.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Nikon D3X - $7999.95 + Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0D $699.95 + Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D $1347.95

Should get you started.

Now if you have a budget less than $10K ......

I'd recommend sending them to B&H instead :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I took these at Morrissey gig in GAlway with a Panasonic FZ28 (18X optical zoom which is very handy)

The best ones are this and this.

You want high ISO to compensate for the shutter speed. Maybe ask the question at http://dpreview.com forums, I find them very helpful.

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Nikon d40x is supposed to have better quality at higher iso if they have it.

canon 400d is an older model and you might be able to pick up one cheaper. I have one and use it for gigs alot of noise at iso 1600

of the compacts canon powershot g10 or G9 if they have it the older one will be cheaper

Advertisement