Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kerosene Boiler takes Several attempts to start

Options
  • 21-04-2009 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi all,

My kerosene boiler is taking several attempts to start up.
    Basically, it sounds as if it is firing up for a split second, then cutting out. But after a few attempts (automatically) it eventually starts. I tried bleeding it but no difference.
    Boiler hasn't been serviced in over a year.
    Anyone any ideas?

Rgds

Barry
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

It should run for a few seconds before attempting to fire while the fan purges the chamber, then the igniter kicks in and the burner lights up. All that should take more than a fraction of a second. When the burner lights, a photocell registers the fact that it has and turns off the igniter.

Generally, if the photocell doesn't register a flame within a given time, the burner will trip and have to be reset, so if it's trying to restart several times in succession that seems to suggest that it is actually igniting, but is going out again immediately. A partially blocked atomiser tip might cause that, so it would be worth unscrewing the tip and cleaning it out (many of them have a small filter in the back). Also check that the fuel line filter is clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

Thanks for the response ART6.
    Is it hard to get at the atomiser tip?
    If not I will give it a go this afternoon.

Rgds

Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Bazsutto wrote: »
    Thanks for the response ART6.
    Is it hard to get at the atomiser tip?
    If not I will give it a go this afternoon.

Rgds

Barry

Generally easy enough. You need to withdraw the burner from the boiler by unbolting the connection plate, but make sure you isolate it electrically first and turn off the oil supply. Probably the oil pipe and electric cables will be long enough to allow you to withdraw the burner without having to disconnect anything. The burner nozzle will have a hexagon head that will allow you to unscrew it with a socket spanner. Just be careful not to bend or damage the igniter prongs or the photocell.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

Man you are a legend!!
    I know its early days but did what you said and gave it a good clean and it fired up first time. Just hope it continues to run like it is now.

Many thanks

Barry

Advertisement