Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on streaming of video

Options
  • 21-04-2009 6:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I have a bit of a strange question. 2 websites, lets call them website A & B. Website A has 300 registered users and Website B has 10,000. Website A does a live streaming of an event that Website B would like their users to have access to.

However Website A is concerned that the effect of an extra load of users logging onto it's website simultaneously would degrade the experience for it's 300 users.

Is it possible to stream the video from Website A directly onto Website B, and allow the registered users on Website B to view it in that manner? Is this the best way of getting around this issue?

Cheers,

Hobart.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Website B can just embed the same live stream into one of their pages, so that users accessing the stream won't be calling pages from website A.

What format is the Video? Flash? WM? (Don't say Real :p)

Either way an "swf" or "object" can be placed in a page on B's site, so that the same stream is accessed.

Does the stream have any DRM restrictions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Dades wrote: »
    Website B can just embed the same live stream into one of their pages, so that users accessing the stream won't be calling pages from website A.

Either way an "swf" or "object" can be placed in a page on B's site, so that the same stream is accessed.

Careful! The above will still pull the content from B.

The important thing to do is to put the SWF file itself onto B's site.

And if it's a live stream then you'll probably need some sort of a proxy/distributor - otherwise the computer with the cam will still be taking all the hits

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Aye, I meant with the swf for it to be hosted on B's site too. :)
    By "object" I just meant embed code on B's site calling, for example, an mms stream.

In both situations only the stream itself would be coming from a source external to B.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Thanks for the replies so far. Yes it's a live stream, I'm not exactly sure of the format at the moment, but I can find out and update.

There are no DRM restrictions on it. What I need to know is if it is possible to use webserver B in a manner that the streaming comes from that server, with minimal hit on server a.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Hobart wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies so far. Yes it's a live stream, I'm not exactly sure of the format at the moment, but I can find out and update.

There are no DRM restrictions on it. What I need to know is if it is possible to use webserver B in a manner that the streaming comes from that server, with minimal hit on server a.

If server A is the original source, no. Not without a video proxy/distributor - e.g. if one doesn't exist, server B could pull ONE stream live and do the work to distribute it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    If server A is the original source, no. Not without a video proxy/distributor - e.g. if one doesn't exist, server B could pull ONE stream live and do the work to distribute it.

Yes, server A is the originator. So what you are saying is that server B could get a direct feed from server A and stream it that way. Have you any examples of a video proxy/distributor, as you can tell, web ain't exactly my forte!

Advertisement