Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

data transfer

Options
  • 21-04-2009 8:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

hi, does anyone know how one transfers data from an imac g5 to a new imac?? the firewire port on each mac is of different size. so i dont seemt o be bale to plu one to the other, is the only option to put the data onto a hard rive and transfer that to new mac?
    i basically want to transfer my old itunes and i photo to new mac....any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 neonic75

You should be able to buy a firewire cable with different size heads. Try PC world. Is there anything wrong the the either of the imacs. if not why not set up a network and pull everything across?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 silverpaddy

when you say anything wrong what do you mean? the g5 has one size firewire port and the new one has a slimmer size port, so the cable i have has same size heads and so doesnt fit both, can you buy a firewire with two diff size heads?
    i tried the network connection but it said it would take 17 hours, and didnt select itunes or i photo?
    i am pretty thick when it comes to this stuff, so if someone could give me a step by step id really appreciate it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 neonic75

Ok well I take it that both the computers are in full working order so. You can buy firwire ports with diff sized heads alright but it could be a pain espically if you buy the wrong size. Are you sure your not trying to plug one into a usb port? The network connection will take a couple of hours alright. 17 is probably a bit pessimistic but it's not going to be quick not matter what you do. If it's not automaticly pulling accross the songs photos and videos you could always pull them across later without much hassle. Just put both computers on network. Browse to old one from new one and pull files across.
    Might find this usefull.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1554

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 silverpaddy

no they are definitley two diff size firewire ans they have the symbol on the ports....
    thanks, i will try and see how it goes!!

Advertisement