Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas bills

Options
  • 21-04-2009 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi people,

I am living in a new two bedroom apartment that I recently bought with my girlfriend. Since we have moved in we have paid over 600 euros in gas bills over a period of 6 months averaging a total bill of around 200 a bill every two months. This seems an awful lot to us both considering we are both at work all day and only have the heating/water on for an average of 1 to 2 hours max each day. We have the temp on the thermostat set to 20 degrees celsius and have 2 radiators switched off (Spare room and front door area) and still our bills seem huge. Can anyone tell me the best way to get this looked into as I think there may be some sort of fundamental problem with the heating that is causing us to use so much gas.

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Suggestions;
    Put the water/heating on for less time, i know our water heater only takes about 25 mins to have enough water for dishes, washing in bathroom, etc.
    Check there's a lagging jacket on the water tank, same theory as above
    Lower the thermostat to about 18, maybe even lower depending on where the thermostat itself is relative to the heaters, you could be telling it to heat to 20 degrees when that's not ever going to be possible.

I'd be inclined to turn back on the heater at the front door area: Not sure I could quantify exactly why,l but I reckon that the overall system would spend more time 'heating' to compensate for the heat flowing from the adjoining rooms than it would if the whole place was kept fairly constant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

also check your bills are based on actual readings and not estimated as bord gais and the esb tend to err in their favour when estimating bills and usage!

Advertisement