Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on what next

Options
  • 21-04-2009 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I checked my online banking yesterday, and noticed 4 strange transactions. There were no details just that they were laser transactions over the weekend, and how much they were for
    €59.00
    €52.50
    €109.50
    €109.50

So i rang Bank of Ireland, and was told, they can;t see the details of the transactions yet as it takes a few days for the details to filter through. so she tells me to ring back the next day.

So i checked online banking again this morning and it gave more details
    €59.00 - pizza store
    €52.50 - same pizza store (i don;t even eat pizza!!)
    €219 - laser TX

Rang back to bank and they have cancelled card (in hindsight i should have cancelled it yesterday!). They are going to issue me with a new card (5.90 fee !!!) and they are going to have someone ring me back about the mysterious transactions.
    Its annoying because i never let my laser card out of my wallet, i don;t use it for online transactions, i use my credit card, because it has insurance.

So my question is, what can i expect next from they bank ? will they say "tough luck" or will they be more helpful ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Well something similar happened to two friends of mine with boi. The account was empted. She had to report it to the police fill out forms with the bank and after about a month got it back. Once its not you fault you should get it back(could be wrong)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It depends on the transactions and whether or not they were Chip & Pin or sign & swipe. Once the details come through the system, they will be able to see what way they were put through, the time of transactions etc. If they are C&P, they won't refund you. If they are put through as sign and swipe, then there's a good possibility that they will refund the monies to your account if they can see the spend is fraudulent. Now that your card is cancelled, if someone else has been using your details (through card cloning etc,) they will not be able to put through any more transactions. Keep an eye on your account over the next few days though, because if there were other transactions done over the weekend, they may only be coming through the system now. the €5.90 charge is standard for any replacement card. Some branches used to waive the charge, but they weren't really supposed to and now they're not allowed to waive it under any circumstances.

You'll need to sign a disclaimer saying that neither you or anyone acting on your behalf undertook the transactions and that the card was not out of your possession at any time. You'll also be asked to report it to the Gardaí and you'll need to give the name and station of the Garda you reported it to.

The bank's fraud department will investigate the report and let the branch know whether or not they'll grant a refund. It's handled on a case by case basis, so I couldn't say for sure whether or not you'll be refunded. It usually takes about 10 days for the investigation (sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on how much of these cases they have to investigate) they operate on a 'first come first served' basis, ie they deal with each case as they come in. Don't ask the branch to try and get them to 'rush' yours through, because they won't be able to. (Most people I've looked after with fraud investigations have asked is this possible because they obviously want to know asap when/if they'll get their money back.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

paulusdu wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I checked my online banking yesterday, and noticed 4 strange transactions. There were no details just that they were laser transactions over the weekend, and how much they were for
    €59.00
    €52.50
    €109.50
    €109.50

So i rang Bank of Ireland, and was told, they can;t see the details of the transactions yet as it takes a few days for the details to filter through. so she tells me to ring back the next day.

So i checked online banking again this morning and it gave more details
    €59.00 - pizza store
    €52.50 - same pizza store (i don;t even eat pizza!!)
    €219 - laser TX

Rang back to bank and they have cancelled card (in hindsight i should have cancelled it yesterday!). They are going to issue me with a new card (5.90 fee !!!) and they are going to have someone ring me back about the mysterious transactions.
    Its annoying because i never let my laser card out of my wallet, i don;t use it for online transactions, i use my credit card, because it has insurance.

So my question is, what can i expect next from they bank ? will they say "tough luck" or will they be more helpful ?

Depends on the type of trasnactions, if they are Card Not Present transactions (phone or mail order) then the retailer is the one stung, unless they actually delivered the pizza to your address.

If you card is Chip&Pin and the pin was used to verify the trasnaction, they in theory the bank could hold you liable, unless you show otherwise..

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Cheers lads, talked to one of the SC reps in my branch today, and she more or less confirmed what you advised. They will open up an investigation and get back to me, She did asdvise me that it would take time, which i understand, i wasn;t going to try to push them.

its not that much money to loose out, but its really annoying trying to figure out where it could have been cloned. Im usually pretty carefull, but i guess whoever cloned it was even more carefull.

Advertisement