Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€10 for a watch batter?

Options
  • 21-04-2009 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

went into my local jewlers, is €10 for a watch batter expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

bacon? wrote: »
    no its a bargain considering they have to invent a "Watch batter" .. a watch battery on the other hand... I'd say its about right if they are fitting it.The Battery would cost a few euro,then your paying labor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Standard fare for a watch battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tzf60

€10 is a bit steep - but becoming the norm in ROR. I went to the €2 shop and bought a card of 45 button cells - mixed types/sizes. There's a good chance one of these will fit your battery. If you really want to get the exact version, ie a branded cell, try http://www.watch-batteries.com/ in the UK - they will post them to you in a few days. I've used them without any problems. Buy 2 or 3 and save yourself hassle in a couple of years time!
    Of course, I'm assuming you will replace the battery yourself. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, either ask a friend/colleague or shop around for a better price.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Got a battery replaced in a large well known jewellers for €7.50 at the weekend. €10 does not seem to bad if they are a small shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Did they fit it for you? how long did it all take?

Like the other poster I got 32 for €2 in the €2 shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭bacon?

i went to 2 places in town, h samual on grafton st... 12, and a smaller place around the corner, 9... so went with them.

it's kinda funny, people saying "labour", they just have to twist off the back and pop a battery in... not like they're servicing a car...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

rubadub wrote: »
    Did they fit it for you? how long did it all take?

It was a small shop in Dundalk I went to. Acouple of minutes it took for her to fit it. Didn't mind as I'm lost without it.

ha ha... they told me my watch had 2 batteries... cost me 18

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

These people may have convinced the old fogies that fitting a watch battery is rocket science, but we're too smart for them aren't we lads?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

i went to 2 places in town, h samual on grafton st... 12, and a smaller place around the corner, 9... so went with them.

it's kinda funny, people saying "labour", they just have to twist off the back and pop a battery in... not like they're servicing a car...
    depends on the watch. Some watch's need special tools that some jewelers don't have also some jewelers wont touch more expensive watch's, as some of them are not as straight forward to fix, so they don't want to be liable should they attempt to change the battery and damage the watch.

Point and case.. in Dundrum shopping center there are 3 or 4 jewelers... only one of them will touch a Fossil watch...They are official Fossil Watch dealers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Wholesale price on a standard CR20xx battery is ~10c per 10 pack.....

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Wholesale cost for a carrot is about 10c as well. But you wont pay that for it served up on a plate in a restaurant.

Jewellers charge a premium for their expertise. Many will also change or regrease your waterproof seal, make sure no dust gets in when doing the job (most watch cases are filthy) they also know how to remove the back and release the battery, which is not always straightforward. And boots etc usually do about quarter of the possible watch batteries your watch might take. The jeweller will stock 99% of them.

Its not as simple as a markup on the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Its so easy that you can laugh about it but still couldnt do it yourself?

BTW, serviceing a car is piss easy, I could laugh at eejits payign garages to do it too.

Stekelly wrote: »

BTW, serviceing a car is piss easy, I could laugh at eejits payign garages to do it too.

because you need a special spanner to open the back... sometimes you can open it with a screwdriver, but this one was too tight...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Stekelly wrote: »

It is easy, that's why it's no more than a tenner to get it changed. The reason you pay so much is because it is in fact a service. We all know the jeweller isn't paying anywhere near what he charges for the battery, he just wants to make a quick buck, fair enough - sure isn't everyone else doing the same? If my uncle wasn't a jeweller who did it for free anyway I'd have no problem paying a tenner.. That is also on the basis that I didn't know how to change a watch battery, which I do... :cool:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

rubadub wrote: »

Over the years I've found that that leaves you with 32 batteries which don't fit anything ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

parsi wrote: »
    Over the years I've found that that leaves you with 32 batteries which don't fit anything ;)

Yes, I bought one of those packs in Germany a year ago, and managed to use two of them so far. :(

... and as for the special tools, Maplin sell them for an inflated price.

Advertisement