Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to bury cat?

Options
  • 21-04-2009 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi all,

my almost 17 year old cat seems to be on his way out.
    As I don't have a garden I wonder where to bury him.
    I do not wish to use the services of the 'petcrematorium'.

Does anybody have any advice on this?

I live in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chiaki

ive never used this services, but here is a link to a pet cemetary in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Do you not know anyone with a large garden? My place is filled with other peoples dead pets.

Head out into the countryside and find a nice quiet spot.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

sorry to hear about your cat. you must be heartbroken. heres hoping he lasts awhile longer. but hes had a very good innings and you must be happy for him.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 teckster

Thanks for the answers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I now find myself needing to bury a cat :(:( I have never done this before - what should I use as a coffin? I don't like the idea of using a cardboard box and I don't have the skills or time to make a proper wooden box. Where could I buy such a box? i have looked in a couple of hardware stores and in the Argos catalogue and didn't have any luck finding a simple wooden box.

Would petshops have such a thing?
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Just did a quick google and came across this http://www.petcaskets.ie/

They can be pretty pricey though starting at 150 euro....
    I think alot of ppl just wrap them in something nice like a blanket they would have had to bury them.

Sorry for your loss :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I now find myself needing to bury a cat :(:( I have never done this before - what should I use as a coffin? I don't like the idea of using a cardboard box and I don't have the skills or time to make a proper wooden box. Where could I buy such a box? i have looked in a couple of hardware stores and in the Argos catalogue and didn't have any luck finding a simple wooden box.

Would petshops have such a thing?
    :(
    Sorry to hear about your cat

You don't need to put it in a box. But if you want to there's a site that sells them here - http://www.petcaskets.ie/

edit: too slow

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

edit: too slow
    'snap' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 teckster

We used 2 beautiful blankets :(

Sorry about your loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Used to use a clean white pillowcase.

We hope no one decided to dig in one part of the garden of one house w lived in....

And if there was nowhere else , find a quiet place early in the morning.

A feral who came into our bathroom to spend her last days in comfort was entombed in the ancient walls of a local prehistoric monument; to necome again a part of the land she had lived in.

If you bury in land, it is best to cover the grave with rocks also.

Blessings and may it all go well for you on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Thanks for the responses, I went with a blanket in a heavy cardboard box in the end. I found a nice wooden box (a bread bin actually) in a homewares shop that would have been ideal had it been a tiny bit bigger.

Gutted though :( The only consolation is that she died a relatively natural and peaceful death at the age of 13. The last time we had a cat was nearly 25 years ago and that cat died a horrible death on the road. I was about 8 years old at the time and will never forget the horror I felt that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Blessings; well done. And yes, a good way to go. Loved and cherished.
    BrianD3 wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses, I went with a blanket in a heavy cardboard box in the end. I found a nice wooden box (a bread bin actually) in a homewares shop that would have been ideal had it been a tiny bit bigger.

Gutted though :( The only consolation is that she died a relatively natural and peaceful death at the age of 13. The last time we had a cat was nearly 25 years ago and that cat died a horrible death on the road. I was about 8 years old at the time and will never forget the horror I felt that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

plant something nice on the grave, the body will nourish the tree/bush and make it spectacular... it's a fitting memorial for a much loved pet.

my kittend who died before xmas was buried at thee end of the garden snd his grave is now the most spectacular blaze of colour, it makes me smile fondly every time i look out the kitchen window.

we used a blanket he had been sleeping on and buried his favourite ball with him.

i'm so sorry for your loss :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 djml1980

Ive used a company called "Quality carpentry Solution" they were recomended by a friend and I found them very nice to deal with. I phoned the guy early one morning and the coffin arrived with the post the next day. Cheaper then the petcaskets.ie which I used before. Hope this is of some help to someone as I found it a stressfull time.

Advertisement