Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Matchday 32

• 21-04-2009 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

21 Apr 09 Real Madrid V Getafe
    21 Apr 09 Numancia V Athletic Bilbao

22 Apr 09 Real Betis V Valencia
    22 Apr 09 Deportivo La Coruña V Almería
    22 Apr 09 Osasuna V Málaga
    22 Apr 09 Barcelona V Sevilla

23 Apr 09 Mallorca V Real Valladolid
    23 Apr 09 Sporting Gijón V Espanyol
    23 Apr 09 Racing Santander V Atlético Madrid
    23 Apr 09 Villarreal V Recreativo Huelva

Huge gameweek all round here. I fancy Sevilla to take something away for the Camp Nou and Real to thump Getafe in ann act of revenge from earlier in the season. Gijon V Espanyol is a massiva game. Espanyol are showing half decent form at the moment while Gijon are in freefall. A win for Espanyol and they are in with a huge chance of survival.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I really think it depends on what team Barca put out against Sevilla. Sevilla are pushing well at the moment and it is a real chance for Real to close the gap as you would expect them to beat Getafe... With that in mind I reckon Guardiola will put out a full strength side.

I would like to see Espanyol stay up. They are a big club and traditionally don't deserve to be in the second division, but if you get relegated you generally deserve it based on your performances over a season. I would like to see Bilbao push up the table as well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I have never wanted to kick the shít out of a player as much as I do for casquero for Getafe. 2-2, late penalty against the best keeper in the world, and the twit chips in with no power. Easy ass save. Then real score a winner with 10 men. They are going to win the league. I have no doubts of it whatsoever now.

The big story from this will be Pepe though. He gave away a penalty. it was dubious, but he then proceeded to kick the opposition player twice on the ground. Stupid stupid man. He will see a 10 game ban for this i would say.

I am fúcking furious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

gimmick wrote: »
    I have never wanted to kick the shít out of a player as much as I do for casquero for Getafe. 2-2, late penalty against the best keeper in the world, and the twit chips in with no power. Easy ass save. Then real score a winner with 10 men. They are going to win the league. I have no doubts of it whatsoever now.

The big story from this will be Pepe though. He gave away a penalty. it was dubious, but he then proceeded to kick the opposition player twice on the ground. Stupid stupid man. He will see a 10 game ban for this i would say.

I am fúcking furious.

not only that, but pepe went back and stood on him! never seen anything like it.

great finish by higuain. had me out of my seat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

I am fúcking furious.

The Pepe incident is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen on the pitch. That said, so was Caqueros penalty

Damn... missed all the football tonight as I was working :mad:

That Real match sounded mad! 10 bookings and a sending off!

Barca need to beat Sevilla tomorrow for definite now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anywhere show highlights of the Madrid match? Would like to see the sending off especially...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I was watching the Pool v Arsenal Classic but listening to the Madridista headcases going nuts in the bar downstairs.

At that point no check of the score was needed.

Roll on May 3rd.

Bilbao won 2-1 as well, so that pushes them up to 11th and 37 points...

Dave! wrote: »
    Anywhere show highlights of the Madrid match? Would like to see the sending off especially...

http://forum.rojadirecta.org/viewtopic.php?t=64659

Jesus H christ

That Getafe peno was rubbish.

He tried to be Mr Cool and the little chip backfired.

Idiot could have handed Barca la liga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I am fúcking furious.
    Disgraceful penalty complete insult to his team mates to attempt that nonsense on Casillas.
    Cost Getafe the match.
    Pepe's behaviour was outrageous,he will not play again this season.
    Guti's behaviour after the match was despicable but not unexpected,he is a tramp.Some of the Getafe players wanted to knock his block off.

I dont think Madrid will win the league,they certainly don't deserve to.
    They have been riding their luck all season,it will run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

If you have sky news there showing it at 11:20 Shows the sending off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Here is the clip of the foul and useless penno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bT4dIuauSw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Bloody hell, that was pretty rough :eek:

If the Spanish FA dont deal sufficiently with Pepe then UEFA must step in. That should be a 3/6 month ban. The guy just lost the plot.

EDIT: Anyone who watches la liga knows Pepe is dirty. He was an animal against Messi and Torres this season already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

That's fúckin ridiculous! I know the Getafe player went down very easily Pepe was absolutely disgraceful there. What a crap peno aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

jv52t5.gif

I don't think he likes divers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

what is it with casual penalties being saved? First Berbatov...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I dont think Madrid will win the league,they certainly don't deserve to.
    If, if, if, they win the league, as unlikey as it is, they will have certainly deserved to.

As usual though, no credit.

RasTa wrote: »
    jv52t5.gif

I don't think he likes divers.

That angle is being kind. There was another angle from the other side of the pitch where it looked awful. As I said Uefa to step in and overrule the Spanish FA after they hand down their paltry 3 game ban or whatever. This guy should have a major ban. Complete nutcase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Very happy for the lions tonight. Hopefully they can push on from this result.

kinaldo wrote: »
    If, if, if, they win the league, as unlikey as it is, they will have certainly deserved to.

As usual though, no credit.

if Real win the league of course they deserve it. Credit is being given to them. They have been grinding out results for the last 4-5 months. Their style may not be many peoples cup of tea, but it is effective.

The thing about that attempted penalty, is I reckon it would have have even got as far as the goal had Casillas gone the right way :mad: I cannot believe I am still fuming tbis morning.

Lengthy ban in store for Pepe

Real Madrid defender Pepe faces a lengthy suspension after the referee detailed the Portugal international's aggression on Tuesday toward two Getafe players and the fourth official in his match report.

With the scores level at 2-2 and three minutes left in the Primera Liga clash at the Bernabeu, Pepe pushed Getafe's Francisco Casquero and the referee awarded a penalty.

Pepe then kicked Casquero on the ground and a second swipe saw him rake his studs over the midfielder's back. In the ensuing melee he struck another Getafe player, Juan Albin, in the face.

He was shown a straight red card, having already picked up a yellow earlier in the match, which Real won 3-2 thanks to Gonzalo Higuain's dramatic winner in added time.

'The home player (Pepe) kicked the fouled player and punched an opponent in the face,' referee Carlos Delgado Ferreiro said in his report.

'The said player then directed the following phrase at the fourth official as he was leaving the pitch: "You are all sons of whores",' he wrote.

Pepe also broke the rules by coming back on to the pitch to celebrate Higuain's winner with his teammates, Delgado added.

Pepe later apologised for his actions but will miss the match at third-placed Sevilla this weekend and is almost certain to be banned for the home clash against Barcelona in early May.

Real's win cut Barca's advantage to three points ahead of the leaders' match against Sevilla at the Nou Camp on Wednesday.

Depending on the disciplinary body's decision, likely to be made public toward the end of this week, Pepe could even be barred from playing in any of the champions' remaining six games.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0422/realmadrid.html

He better get a stiff punishment for all that.

pepe3t.jpg

pepe2v.jpg

pepef.jpg

It is actually kind of funny when you think about it - Cantona aside, and that was directed at a fan, have you ever seen a player lose it to such an extent. I know I haven't anyway.

I haven't seen anything like that since the Barca - Athletic brawl with maradona kung fu kicking.

This is being blown out of proportion. Yes it was bad, but he only grazed him, it wasn't even a stamp. A quick glance and elbow to the face is far worse. At least Casquero might know better than to be diving like that from now on.

Worse news for Madrid is that Robben will likely miss the rest of the season, along with Sneijder.

Also Higuaín, what a season he's having! Another incredible goal last night, 18 in la liga now.

This is being blown out of proportion. Yes it was bad, but he only grazed him, it wasn't even a stamp. A quick glance and elbow to the face is far worse. At least Casquero might know better than to be diving like that from now on.

Bollocks man. He kicked out with intent. Its only lucky he did not connect properly or he could have seriously injured him.

Marca are saying Pepe was a "crazy man" and will be suspended the rest of the season. Iker told him him he was crazy also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

He kicked out with intent.

Twice.

Edit:

Osasuna 2-3 Malaga with three red cards :eek:

Goal by Iniesta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Barca one up already, wonder if Antonio Banderas is enjoying it?

2-0, great build up for an Eto'o goal. Barca could have had another 2 or 3. Hopefully Sevilla will not improve and Barca can coast the 2nd half, and not have to use Messi. 4 huge games after tonight in which he will need to be 100% for all of them.

Merciless Barca are 4-0 up, with half an hour to go..

How are they so fúcking good this season!

grrrr...

No Messi used which is good. Iniesta was amazing tonight. A great goal and 3 assists. he is unplayable at the moment. No Puyol either and its the 6th (or 7th) clean sheet in the league in a row now for Barca.

Valencia win again to make it 5 on the trot.

The weekends matches are so big. Hopefully Sevila can arrest their slide and not lose 3 on the bounce :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Iniesta is fast turning into one of the greats - his ball control, vision and finishing is lethal. No matter what is thrown in front of this Barca team they come up trumps - I have been saying all season that this is truly a great team and will go down in history as one of the greatest ever. Nothing will touch them - best i have ever seen.

Thats well and good, but they have won nothing yet. If in 4 weeks time they have 3 trophies, we can start that sort of talk.

Interestingly enough it is now possible for Barca to win the title at the Bernabeu I think. If Sevilla beat Real on Sunday (unlikely on last nights showing, but can they lose 3 on the spin?) and Barca beat Valencia saturday, Barca will win the league if they beat Real, as they will be 12 points ahead, and betetr on the head to head.

Very interesting. Very unlikely also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Iniesta ... is unplayable at the moment.
    He really is - I don't know why but it constantly surprises me how much Iniesta runs the ball. Until this season, I'd always thought of him as a Xavi-like link player but he gets through as much dribbling down the left as Messi does on the right.

You could see his importance to the team when he was injured for that little period around when Barca looked a bit listless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I realise they have won nothing yet but that is just a matter of time - imo they are the best team in Europe and by some distance - who realistically are better than them- no-one.

It could be embarassing for Chelsea next week as they will be just brushed aside like everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

No Messi used which is good. Iniesta was amazing tonight. A great goal and 3 assists. he is unplayable at the moment.

+1

• Advertisement

I'd like to see Barca win the league and Athletic win the cup. A length ban for Pepe would be nice too.

The nutcase now says he doesnt want to play football anymore !

Poor Pepe - get yourself a psych evaluation man.

He was told by Real to call the player he kicked and apologise

FFS Real had to tell him !

Common sense man.

This is all a ploy by the way to try and get a softer sentence.

Marcelo apologised today in a press conference for grabbing his "balls" and laughing at the Getafe players antagonising them yet he done the whole press conference with a smirk on his face ! Looked as though he wanted the burst himself out laughing ! Well done you gob****e. How can anyone take this football club seriously is beyond me. The Real Madrid circus rolls on..........

redout wrote: »
    The nutcase now says he doesnt want to play football anymore !

Poor Pepe - get yourself a psych evaluation man.

He was told by Real to call the player he kicked and apologise

FFS Real had to tell him !

Common sense man.

This is all a ploy by the way to try and get a softer sentence.

Marcelo apologised today in a press conference for grabbing his "balls" and laughing at the Getafe players antagonising them yet he done the whole press conference with a smirk on his face ! Looked as though he wanted the burst himself out laughing ! Well done you gob****e. How can anyone take this football club seriously is beyond me. The Real Madrid circus rolls on..........
    Living in Madrid must be tough. I think you really need to get over this blind hatred of yours towards Real Madrid.

I thought Pepe's statement came across very heartfelt. He's a deeply religious and devoted Christian and seemed quite sincere.

He made a mistake, he apologised, he said he'll accept whatever punishment.

Nobody was hurt, move on.

Living in Madrid must be tough. I think you really need to get over this blind hatred of yours towards Real Madrid.

Thats not so easy a thing to do when you personally know persons who lived during Franco's dictatorship and the stories they tell you. Unimaginable and shocking some of them to be honest.

p.s. Pepe is for the Whack shop. Some major psycho tendencies there.

Last nights results

Racing Santander 5 - 1 Atletico Madrid
    Mallorca 2 - 0 Valladolid
    Sporting de Gijón 0 - 3 Espanyol
    Villarreal 2 - 1 Recreativo Huelva

What a result for Espanyol. They are really giving tjemselves a massive chance of staying up now. Gijon continue to be in freefall. The relegation issue is blown wide open again. Even Betis on 37 points need to be looking over their shoulders.
    1 Barcelona 32 26 3 3 68 81
    2 Real Madrid 32 24 3 5 40 75
    3 Sevilla 32 17 6 9 10 57
    4 Valencia 32 16 7 9 15 55
    5 Villarreal 32 14 10 8 4 52
    6 Málaga 32 14 8 10 1 50
    7 Atletico Madrid 32 14 7 11 11 49
    8 Deportivo La Coruna 32 14 7 11 0 49
    9 Valladolid 31 12 4 15 -7 40
    10 Racing Santander 32 10 9 13 3 39
    11 Real Betis Balompié 32 9 10 13 -4 37
    12 Athletic Bilbao 32 10 7 15 -11 37
    13 Almeria 32 10 7 15 -13 37
    14 Mallorca 31 9 9 13 -12 36
    15 Osasuna 32 8 11 13 -4 35
    16 Getafe C.F 32 8 10 14 -8 34
    17 Sporting de Gijón 32 11 0 21 -31 33
    18 Espanyol 32 7 11 14 -14 32
    19 Recreativo Huelva 32 7 9 16 -18 30
    20 C.D Numancia 32 8 4 20 -30 28

Also, lol at PAtetico

In that sort of form alongside Xavi and co. South Africa 2010 can't come quick enough for Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

And then we hear about us needing Fabregas? Iniesta is just as good in his passing range, his ability to hold up the ball, and his intelligence. Plus he is FAR better with the ball at his feet and dribbling. Fabregas, like in the Spanish national side, would be rightfully playing third fiddle in this Barca midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

eZe^ wrote: »
    And then we hear about us needing Fabregas? Iniesta is just as good in his passing range, his ability to hold up the ball, and his intelligence. Plus he is FAR better with the ball at his feet and dribbling. Fabregas, like in the Spanish national side, would be rightfully playing third fiddle in this Barca midfield.

The thing with Iniesta is that he is massively under rated, even by top pundits. (In Ireland and england anyway).
    There was huge surprise that Fabregas wasn't a guaranteed starter for Spain at the euros but with 2 players like Xavi and Iniesta you can see why.
    If he puts in 2 performances against Chelsea, we might see opinions change a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Once he starts learning how to score 10+ goals a season he'll be put up there in the same light as Lampard and Gerrard.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

JPA wrote: »
    The thing with Iniesta is that he is massively under rated, even by top pundits. (In Ireland and england anyway).
    There was huge surprise that Fabregas wasn't a guaranteed starter for Spain at the euros but with 2 players like Xavi and Iniesta you can see why.
    If he puts in 2 performances against Chelsea, we might see opinions change a bit.

[cliche]Ah but the physicality of the game..blah blah blah. He never plays against good enough players blah blah. What about the pressure, the physicality and of course not forgetting the pressure[/broken cliche]

I'd say he could set up five and score 10 and still wouldn't get the plaudits. As Barcelona rely on Messi you see..

• Advertisement
Advertisement