Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It Has To Get easier? Any help or Advice would be good

Options
  • 21-04-2009 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

:confused:
    It´s only day 3........ Every time I think I should have a cigarette in my hand, I ask myself, do I really want one, or is this habit, so here I am on day 3 without having smoked, incredible! I must have One Big Bad habit!! Still answering that its habit and not Want!
    My patience is very thin, I hope this will improve, I went and sat in the car for an hour last night just to keep away from people, not smokers just people in general. Do you think, or have you got the experience of stopping, let me know what you went thro and what helped, am I expecting depression, moods, cravings, to be honest I have smoked that long I am in very dangerous waters here and unknown territory, yep ashamed of myself. I am worried about the cravings, everyone seems to be of the opinion that you go "fat" once you stop smoking, I can handle a bit of weight but not too much as getting wed soon. Any advice or tips would really help.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Hi!

I wrote this last week.

I found day 2 and 3 to be the worst. Those were the days I'd happily stab someone if they looked sideways at me!
    I am now one week and 14 hrs off them.
    It will get much easier for you on day four, day five easier again and day six will be great.
    Hang in there, you're over the worst.
    Keep busy. Clean the house from top to bottom if you need to.
    Learn how to bake bread!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dubgirl15

im on day three aswell after many many failed attempts. Genuinely when you are over the first week about five days things really do get easier. Keep chewing gum, drinking water etc and try to do some exercise, maybe a walk or cleaning the house, or a swim. Keep it up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 larly

Thanks guys, I am chewing the gum, the house is clean too but have just asked my friend if she fancies a day at the spa, got to get a feeling of well being outside aswell as inside:p

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

I find excerise as much as possible thats great for getting rid of the temper tantrums you feel like throwing!

Always remember you don't like smoking, it tastes disgusting, the only thing your body wants is nicotine, once thats out of your system it will be a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Excercise, fresh air and plenty of water are great at the start. For the first few days doing something you can get lost in really helps.

The first three days are the worst by a longshot, it gets much easier from here on in. Just keep reminding yourself why you are giving up, and try to avoid things like alcohol, stressful situations and other smokers for the next few days.

With regards to putting on weight, in the first few months I definetly snacked more than I did before I quit smoking. Just try to stick to healthy stuff for the most part - nuts and fruits etc. Excercise is much easier after quitting, so you should be well able to burn off any extra calories with a little bit of effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

after the first 3-7 days, its all routine...if you normally smoked at a bus stop, you will get a craving when your waiting for a bus. This is why most people fail in the first few days- because your doing things without a cigarette for the first time...you will genuinly stop thinking about it after a little while, i promise!

Advertisement