Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4% of ROI grocery turnover spent in NI

Options
  • 21-04-2009 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Or about 500 million euro, this estimate according to Tesco mentioned here

On the face of it appox 1 euro in 20 doesn't sound too bad, most economies in the world have to cope with cross land border competition. Clearly the border region will be loosing rather more than that, it would be interesting to know the % within say 50 kms.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

We're living in a continent-wide economical union. That all money isn't spend at your local convenience store is hardly worth breaking news me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

mike65 wrote: »

On the face of it appox 1 euro in 20 doesn't sound too bad, most economies in the world have to cope with cross land border competition. Clearly the border region will be loosing rather more than that, it would be interesting to know the % within say 50 kms.

Would half the population be within an hours drive of NI? (Newry/Ennisk)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

The thing is, not only are NI supermarkets cheaper, they're superior. Sainsbury's has much better stuff than tesco. Its a pity superquinn aren't a more powerful force.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

thats a lot 4% bearing in mind that lidl and aldi have combined less than 6% of grocery.

That is very high imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

So what ? What about French shopping in Belgium, Dutch in Germany, Belgians in Holland ? Whether a better deal is across an arbitrary line on a map or not leaves me stonecold. If I can feed my family cheaper through bypassing a greedy rip-off merchant all the better. In the end maybe the rip-off merchants will wake up and smell the coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭eamonnm79

mike65 wrote: »

Tesco refuse to release their profits made in Ireland, They only give a total uk and Ireland figure. I wonder why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

I'm just back from Enniskillen where I spent £250 between Iceland, Asda, Tesco, and lunch at a high street restaurant. The quality and scope of products on offer makes the offerings of retailers in the south pale in comparison.

If retailers don't wake up and smell the coffee this mystical 4% figure will only increase.

Riv

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

This situation kind of makes me think about the whole vat issue, while I was against the increase in vat last october, I do see the governments reason for not lowering it last month.
    Reducing the vat would be an easy option for retailers who need to reduce their profit margins in this country, this will ultimately increase our competitiveness in the long run.

I think if we wait another 6 months we will see a even bigger drop in the prices and shows what price products can be sold for and how much profit these retailers are making off us. Then decrease the vat and hopefully that will lead to a rise in consumer confidence here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

got some really nice wine in Sainsburys on Saturday
    Lots of it.
    3 bottles for £10
    No brainer and I will be back.

Taxman and profiteers down here need to cop on and stop screwing us.
    Surprised its only 4%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Lets sneak up there under the guise of cross border shoppers and take the lapsed six counties back.

They won't know what we are up to with all the reusable shopping bags and I will allow one day of free trolley dashing for all enthuisiastic volunteers.

Either that or youse buy the place with your shopping money.
    Ye know it makes sense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement