Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cliffoney speed limits

Options
  • 21-04-2009 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Can someone explain the strange speed limits on the N15 at Cliffoney?

Approaching from the South (i.e. Grange direction) the motorist enters a 60kph limit, then a 50kph limit, a standard arrangement across the country.
    However, approaching from the North (Bundoran) direction the motorist enters a 50kph zone and then a SECOND 50kph zone.

Is this a new road safety scheme or just another County Council cockup?

I think we should be told!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Well I know there had been roadworks there not too long ago so maybe the council put up other speed limit signs temporarily for the stretch of roadworks and just never took them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

so you're saying that depending on which direction you're going on the same stretch of road, there's a different speed limit?

Sounds like a cock up to me!

But if you're going to post here, best send a letter to the council... include a google map highlighting the stretch of road that this is occurring on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

a 50kph zone and then a SECOND 50kph zone.

The first zone is optional - the second zone is compulsory. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Once again Sligo County Council show what low standards they have and why benchmarking was a ripoff.

The "60" signs have been overlaid by "50" stickers, presumably during the roadworks as Bobcar says but not removed.

Ironically, a group of council employees are in Cliffoney at present installing a pedestrian crossing (what a waste!) but have not checked the speed limit signs. Replace them all with "new Irish" I say! :mad:

What is the speed limit on the inner relief road road through Sligo town,i would assume it would be 50kph but most drivers take off like the clappers when the traffic lights go green?

• Advertisement

yep it's 50kph from Summerhill roundabout as far as Hendersons Ford garage on the Donegal road as far as I know.

If there was an optional speed limit of 50kph and you got pulled over by the Gardai for speeding in that zone could one argue the point by saying it was an optional speed limit and I chose not to stick to it....I don't think so:)

There are no speed limit signs on the inner relief road,to add to the general confusion!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    There are no speed limit signs on the inner relief road,to add to the general confusion!

There is when you are approaching from the Summerhill College side.

Yes i know, but a few are needed about halfway on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Yes i know, but a few are needed about halfway on the road![/QUOTE

I think speed signs are only shown if there is a speed difference from a road running onto it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

This is what Sligo County Council say about Cliffony

The first 50kph Speed Zone to north of Cliffony relates to Special Roadworks Speed limit applying to works zone related to overlay contract being undertaken on behalf of Sligo Co Co. This Special Speed Limit Zone will be removed on completion of associated accomodation works.Normal Speed limit zone as per approaches from south relating to Traffic Calming will then be reinstated.

It would have been helpful if this was written in Plain English! but at a guess the "works" are installing the (unnecessary) pedestrian crossing in the centre of the village.

Advertisement