Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driveway Repair - What are my options?

• 21-04-2009 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭

It was bound to happen sooner or later I guess. My interest in landrovers and their interest in leaking oils has partially dissolved some of my tarmac driveway. It's crumbling in little patches over an area of about 2m2

I've been told I could try to repair it with Cold Lay Tarmac - Anyone know somewhere I'd get this around south Dublin / North Wicklow?

Alternatively, how much would you folks reckon a hot lay repair likely to cost?

The tarmac's only about 40mm thick, with hard core substrate beneath if that's relevant....

Thanks,

Gil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

The big problem with small repairs is that they cost so much because of the set upcosts associated with doing hot macadam. Unless there is a crew doing work locally it's unlikely that you'll get anyone to do a small patch repair, unless you're prepared to pay through the nose for it. If you knew of a neighbour getting some work done it might make sense to approach a contractor on that basis...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Thanks - If I'm to try a temporary cold repair, any idea where I can source cold lay tarmac?

Thanks,

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

Most builders providers will have it. In Chadwicks, Boghall Road in Bray I got some last year, you buy it by the bag, about 10kg I think they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ballydan

You can get various size bags of EZ Street cols asphalt from
    Pelican Road Services Limited,
    Unit 8 Ard Gaoithe Business Park,
    Cashel Road ,
    Clonmel,
    County Tipperary
    052 6184870

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

that cold tar will only make it look like a drive. but it will always be softer . you drive on it it will make a rut pretty quick. and prepare to have it in you house as its sticky as hell . will get on your shoes and you will without a shadow of a doubt walk it into your house.

personally i dont think its worth a sh1t.

could you try an alternatinve as in laye some decorative slabs there? the cold tar will dissolve twice as quick with oil too. so really it will only give the impression of a driveway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement