Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Spirit Store

Options
  • 21-04-2009 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Was here the other night

50cent charge to use laser card ???

What is that about ??????

They said "coz we get charged, you get charged"

Is this illegal ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

I dont blame the Spirit Store at all, legal or not. Using a debit card in a pub? WTF are there no cash machines in town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭bob04

TommyT wrote: »
    I dont blame the Spirit Store at all, legal or not. Using a debit card in a pub? WTF are there no cash machines in town?

Now that is just silly

What is the point in having a laser card?????

So that you dont have to carry cash

And where is the closest cash machine to the spirt store ?

You would have to walk/taxi to it ???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

bob04 wrote: »

Around the corner in the Londis. Five minute walk there and back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Now that is just silly

What is the point in having a laser card?????

So that you dont have to carry cash

I think using a Debit Card like Laser in a pub is nonsense. Fair enough if you get accidently caught out without cash and so 50cent is worth it, but to think it the norm or reasonable is a bit much. It's a debit card and not designed for small purchases and never intended to replace cash. The cash replacement version was piloted a few years back in Ennis and failed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭bob04

I think using a Debit Card like Laser in a pub is nonsense. Fair enough if you get accidently caught out without cash and so 50cent is worth it, but to think it the norm or reasonable is a bit much. It's a debit card and not designed for small purchases and never intended to replace cash. The cash replacement version was piloted a few years back in Ennis and failed.

Having the cash/not having the cash is not the issue

Getting charged 50cent for the transaction is the issue

Nowhere else have I ever been charged

And walk around the corner to a machine ? when you never know if it even has any cash in it ????

Question - Is it illegal or not to charge ????

Also if it is nonsense, why does the pub offer the service ???

I use my laser all the time, because i know way to many people who got scammed at cash machine and lost money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Talula

Don't think it is illegal. Ticketmaster charge for cards as do some airlines and travel agents - you hear more about credit card charges than you do debit card charges. I think small business are charged about 50c per card transaction - I've seen signs in filling stations/shops stating that you had to be at least spending X amount for them to accept a debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Out of interest what amount was your transaction for? Did you get cashback with it? Personally if any local bar tried to charge me anything on top of my total amount it would be my last visit. The mark up on 1 bottle would cover that charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Does anyone other than my mate Kev actually go to the pub with no cash in their pocket? You dont magically end up in the Spirit Store with empty pockets. If you know that you are going out take a few quid with you. If you are too tight to bring some cash dont blame Mark Deary for charging you 50 cent for a debit card transaction, he is running a business after all, if you want charity try the Simon community round the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I use my laser all the time in pubs and have never been charged for using it. Normally get cash back and spend that cash in the pub anyway.
    Haven't been to the Spirt Store in a while, has the work started on the extension yet? Great pub terrible location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭falipo

The 50c charge in the store is for when u get cashback without a purchase...chance's are a staff member got mixed up at the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I agree that there's not many ATM's near the Spirit Store. Someone made a suggestion that there's one in Londis but that probably doesn't stay open that late.

As for the debit card issue, unless you came from the harbour straight into the Spirit Store then you have no excuse as to how you could not have passed an ATM. There's a good few around the town. Even if you got a taxi on the way there you could ask the driver to stop off at one for you. They'll always stop for you.

50 cent isn't the end of the world. You wouldn't be complaining about this charge if you were buying something big. Paying for a pint with a laser card is ridiculous in all fairness mate. You wouldn't pay for a bag of crisps and a bottle of coke with a laser card would you? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

That_Guy wrote: »
    There's a good few around the town. Even if you got a taxi on the way there you could ask the driver to stop off at one for you. They'll always stop for you.

And most of the feckers will charge you for it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Teeth

isnt there a cash machine in Ridley`s?
    you get charged a fortune for that. and yeah, businesses can charge you for using your card.

why would you pay with card in a pub? makes no sense.take cash out and theres an ATM in londis. theyre open til 11, last orders are 11.30 or 12.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, this seems to be the most logical place to post this

I'm hoping to drive to a gig in Spirit Store on Thursday night and was wondering where would be the closest and safest place to park (and preferably free)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

You can park at the Spirit Store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Was here the other night

50cent charge to use laser card ???

What is that about ??????

They said "coz we get charged, you get charged"

Is this illegal ???

The spirit store need to pay the laser company to use their laser services, therefore they get charged so you get charged in order for them to cover costs.

I was abroad and never got charged in Scotland for using my debit card there in a pub. I remember though I used to get charged £1.50 for using an ATM :eek: but never in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 irishwarrior

yeah would get charged but defo not that amount as far as i can remember it between 12 and 21 cent depending on the volume of transactions that go through!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Maybe there's a hiden "green tax" in the amount ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Anybody know what the story is with the Spirit Store getting done up? Thought that was supposed to happen months ago?

• Advertisement

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Anybody know what the story is with the Spirit Store getting done up? Thought that was supposed to happen months ago?

If the Spirit Store staff took even a broom to that place it would fall apart, as its the dirt thats keeping it together. :pac:

Even Elvis thinks thats funny.

BORS170.jpg

If the Spirit Store staff took even a broom to that place it would fall apart, as its the dirt thats keeping it together. :pac:

Even Elvis thinks thats funny.

BORS170.jpg

Kudos for the gratuitious Elvis usage. But leave the poor Spirit Store alone! One of my favourite pubs, recently overtaken by the Phoenix though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Ab roller plus

Kudos for the gratuitious Elvis usage. But leave the poor Spirit Store alone! One of my favourite pubs, recently overtaken by the Phoenix though.

Your must be a girl and have the benefit of "nice" toilets upstairs. Fellas have a urinal only so if one needs to drop the kids off at the pool one must use the capper jax which does not have a lock.

Many a poo I've interupted!

Fellas have a urinal only so if one needs to drop the kids off at the pool one must use the capper jax which does not have a lock.

I'm a fella and have used the "capper jax" loads of times, the lack of a lock must be a recent thing then? (Haven't taken a ****e there in ages)

Oh I'm just playing ;) lovely pub, but many people I know dislike it, they claim it just to be a place one would go every couple of months to see a good live act and not something they would claim their local as such.

I dont know about you, but recently I was in it, and saw they changed the coloring and the seating area too, and it looks like and feels like a heavy metal pub or trashy place to me and most people I've encountered. no offence to heavy metal fans but its bad business for the store to only appeal to one particular crowd.

as usual my what could be a very poor observation is ever ready for correction.

806123.jpg

how does it look like a heavy metal pub?i`ve never heard any heavy metal on the stereo (slayer dosent even count so dont go there) and yes they have metal bands sometimes, but then theres folk, punk, ebm, darkwave,african...its open for everything.they dont cater for one particular crowd ; far from it.

if anything, mc manus` round the corner is more of the kind of bar that Stephentlig was on about. i was in last night and it was mostly metal on the jukebox,

yes its a bit scuzzy but if it was all chrome and glass then people would still complain.

Teeth wrote: »
    how does it look like a heavy metal pub?i`ve never heard any heavy metal on the stereo (slayer dosent even count so dont go there) and yes they have metal bands sometimes, but then theres folk, punk, ebm, darkwave,african...its open for everything.they dont cater for one particular crowd ; far from it.

if anything, mc manus` round the corner is more of the kind of bar that Stephentlig was on about. i was in last night and it was mostly metal on the jukebox,

yes its a bit scuzzy but if it was all chrome and glass then people would still complain.

I dont go to Mc Manus and its been many years since i've been there but I can imagine your assertion to be somewhat correct about it.

I know the spirit store when it comes to live acts, appeal to everyone in town, respectfully, but I pointed that out when I qouted the people who call it just a place one would go just to see a live act and then leave and never come back again for months until something pops up that is to their taste.
    Perhaps I should of made myself more clear but failed to do so, my apologies for such a bad presentation.

I've heard the heavy metal music been played a lot by some of the very heavy metal staff that work there, yet it may be a case that when I'm not there they get out their shell suits and chav out to some Euphoria.

anyhow I wouldnt say both of us will agree on such a topic, but thats my (be it narrow minded ) view of it, take it or leave it as you please.

the spirit store dosent have heavy metal staff!

and i understand what you mean about the whole "go to a gig then never come back for months". each to their own. every pub is like that.

Teeth wrote: »
    the spirit store dosent have heavy metal staff!

and i understand what you mean about the whole "go to a gig then never come back for months". each to their own. every pub is like that.

As for the place not having heavy metal staff, presumably the only way for people to find that out is to give it a visit sometime.

Every pub is not like what you mentioned above, at least not in my experience. each pub has its different theme and athmosphere and they have a constant flow of people who come to it. People have told me that the athmosphere Dundalks spirit store generates is one of a ... dark and gloomy Trashy inn.

I dont mind the place though, never have really, and I certainly wouldnt wanna put anyone off going down there, but if the Spirit store wants to make good business its got to appeal to everyone. but you know there are pubs in the town that dont cater for everyone either, and thus they do bad business also so we musnt just pick on the spirit store. not every pub is like it, but there are some out there similar to it, if not worse than it but as you say each to their own.

I'm only going off what I hear, so I propose that people go there and get it for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

The Spirit Store should be left well alone. It's for people who want a quiet drink and listen to good music. I'm sure Mark doesn't want it to be the sort of place where everyone goes just to be seen. The day it becomes that place, I stop going. Posers stay away please. ;)

Advertisement