Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Spirit Store

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

mod9maple wrote: »
    The Spirit Store should be left well alone. It's for people who want a quiet drink and listen to good music. I'm sure Mark doesn't want it to be the sort of place where everyone goes just to be seen. The day it becomes that place, I stop going. Posers stay away please. ;)

well in that case nobody would be able to attend, as thats why the musicians go there, to be seen on stage posing with their songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I dont mind the place though, never have really, and I certainly wouldnt wanna put anyone off going down there, but if the Spirit store wants to make good business its got to appeal to everyone. but you know there are pubs in the town that dont cater for everyone either, and thus they do bad business also so we musnt just pick on the spirit store. not every pub is like it, but there are some out there similar to it, if not worse than it but as you say each to their own.

The spirit store does plenty of business without having to appeal to everyone, they've cornered a nice wee niche in the Dundalk pub scene: decent, eclectic live music, good pints, comfortable pub (in my view at least. It used to be a somebody's house, which is why it has a 'cosy' feel). I know somebody earlier said the location is terrible, I actually think it's an advantage!

Can you think of anywhere else in Dundalk that gets live music of the quality that the spirit store get? And I'd also be curious which pub in Dundalk you think appeals to everyone? I can't think of a single one.

EDIT: after reading that I'd just like to clarify that I don't work for the spirit store. :P

The spirit store does plenty of business without having to appeal to everyone, they've cornered a nice wee niche in the Dundalk pub scene: decent, eclectic live music, good pints, comfortable pub (in my view at least. It used to be a somebody's house, which is why it has a 'cosy' feel). I know somebody earlier said the location is terrible, I actually think it's an advantage!

of course fungle if you feel that the spirit store does plenty of business without appealing to everyone then we shall permit you to do so, and call it your own personal opinion for now. but the contrast is that people view it differently within the town.
    Can you think of anywhere else in Dundalk that gets live music of the quality that the spirit store get?

not a single one Fungle not a single one.:)
    And I'd also be curious which pub in Dundalk you think appeals to everyone? I can't think of a single one.

When it comes to locality, a lot of pubs in the centre of town have a nice flow of different customers from all walks of life, regulary attending them.
    EDIT: after reading that I'd just like to clarify that I don't work for the spirit store. :P

after reading it fungle I'm assured of your love for the spirit store, and perhaps it will draw more people there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

well in that case nobody would be able to attend, as thats why the musicians go there, to be seen on stage posing with their songs.

Different thing entirely old bean, and you know it. ;)

of course fungle if you feel that the spirit store does plenty of business without appealing to everyone then we shall permit you to do so, and call it your own personal opinion for now. but the contrast is that people view it differently within the town.

Since I don't have access to Mark Deary's books, it is my personal opinion. But an informed one, I have spent a lot of time in the Spirit Store.
    When it comes to locality, a lot of pubs in the centre of town have a nice flow of different customers from all walks of life, regulary attending them.

I notice you still haven't named one! and the sentence 'different customers from all walks of life, regularly attending them' easily applies to the spirit store as well.

• Advertisement

Since I don't have access to Mark Deary's books, it is my personal opinion. But an informed one, I have spent a lot of time in the Spirit Store.

I'm sure you have, and I'm sure its an informed one too, so we should allow the people to go down to what most people call ''dark, gloomy and trashy'' to find out for themselves.
    I notice you still haven't named one! and the sentence 'different customers from all walks of life, regularly attending them' easily applies to the spirit store as well.

I think centre of town pretty much tags a lot of them. you also missed my ''regulary'' attending part too. although the spirit store does good business on the venue side of things, its attraction to bring a regular local crowd of all sorts (according to the town) is a failure. I felt that should such a presumption be proven correct, then it is bad business for the store to only appeal to one particular crowd in that respect. as for naming one of the pubs if you must, didnt you already do that work for us when you mentioned in a post previous that the spirit store has recently been overtaken by the phoenix? or perhaps my interpretation of such a post was a rather poor one?

mod9maple wrote: »
    Different thing entirely old bean, and you know it. ;)

I know what other type of posers you mean, but unless they admit they are posing I cannot bring down false judgement upon them.

Further, if you want all posers to stay away from the spirit store, then presumably one can only assume that your post proves the towns current presupposition that the spirit store only appeals to one particular crowd would it not?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Ab roller plus

Stoners, gotts and rockers frequent this classy establishment to exchange views on current best practice for wrist slicing! Oh, not to mention the odd alcoholic.....

I think the mix of artists and music on offer is generally very good, but its just a bloody dive. Doesnt necessarily mean a bad atmosphere.

I think centre of town pretty much tags a lot of them. you also missed my ''regulary'' attending part too. although the spirit store does good business on the venue side of things, its attraction to bring a regular local crowd of all sorts (according to the town) is a failure. I felt that should such a presumption be proven correct, then it is bad business for the store to only appeal to one particular crowd in that respect.

What is this monolithic entity known as 'the town' that whispers in your ear? :P There is no one pub that appeals to everybody. The spirit store doesn't have a TV for example. That would put a lot of people off straight away, though I view it as a definite plus. As for it feeling like a heavy metal pub...I just disagree. Fireplace? Candles? There's plenty of metalers around when a metal band are actually playing alright, I wouldn't say the same when Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Damien Dempsey or Gemma Hayes are playing. Go to fibbers on Parnell St. in dublin if you want to see a heavy metal pub. Easily washable surfaces, essentially. Or the back area of McManus' a few mins away from the store, same idea.
    as for naming one of the pubs if you must, didnt you already do that work for us when you mentioned in a post previous that the spirit store has recently been overtaken by the phoenix? or perhaps my interpretation of such a post was a rather poor one?

Your interpretation was a bit off alright. I mentioned the Phoenix as being my new favourite pub, I didn't claim it appeals to everybody.

Stoners, gotts and rockers frequent this classy establishment to exchange views on current best practice for wrist slicing! Oh, not to mention the odd alcoholic.....

See? plenty of variety :P

• Advertisement

What is this monolithic entity known as 'the town' that whispers in your ear? :P There is no one pub that appeals to everybody. The spirit store doesn't have a TV for example. That would put a lot of people off straight away, though I view it as a definite plus. As for it feeling like a heavy metal pub...I just disagree. Fireplace? Candles? There's plenty of metalers around when a metal band are actually playing alright, I wouldn't say the same when Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Damien Dempsey or Gemma Hayes are playing. Go to fibbers on Parnell St. in dublin if you want to see a heavy metal pub. Easily washable surfaces, essentially. Or the back area of McManus' a few mins away from the store, same idea.

I dont have a TV either, :D

I understand what you feel about the whole heavy metal thing, but I disagree with you, I feel that your just talking about the venue side of things which I previously stated does appeal to everyone respectfully but thats not what we are discussing, we are discussing the other side to it, which is its regular custom and athmosphere, again ( repeatedly )people must go there and see it for themselves, I've had people tell me places where terrible and when I got there, it was the complete opposite and I loved it, its all about personal opinion/taste or whatever.

Your interpretation was a bit off alright. I mentioned the Phoenix as being my new favourite pub, I didn't claim it appeals to everybody.

I see what you mean, thank you for clearing that up, however seeing as I've made quite clear the understanding that we are not talking about the venue side of things, which is ''come for a gig every few months and never come back again'' end of it, could you please inform me on how the phoenix does not appeal to everyone on the local regular side of the coin?

I dont have a TV either, :D

I understand what you feel about the whole heavy metal thing, but I disagree with you, I feel that your just talking about the venue side of things which I previously stated does appeal to everyone respectfully but thats not what we are discussing, we are discussing the other side to it, which is its regular custom and athmosphere, again ( repeatedly )people must go there and see it for themselves, I've had people tell me places where terrible and when I got there, it was the complete opposite and I loved it, its all about personal opinion/taste or whatever.

So what we're talking about boils down to this:
    • You think it looks trashy/metal-ey.
    • I don't.
    • You think the spirit store's atmosphere limits their clientele.
    • I don't.
    • For people to decide, they should see it for themselves.
    That sum it up? Seems fair to me. :P
    I see what you mean, thank you for clearing that up, however seeing as I've made quite clear the understanding that we are not talking about the venue side of things, which is ''come for a gig every few months and never come back again'' end of it, could you please inform me on how the phoenix does not appeal to everyone on the local regular side of the coin?

If I had to say, the kitschy decor. But I have no idea, I didn't claim anything about the Phoenix except that it's become my favourite pub. You're the one saying the majority of pubs in the centre of town appeal to everyone! Which i would certainly disagree with. Some people I know wouldn't set foot inside the beerkeeper/parkes/the fane/gormleys/brubakers. Especially the beerkeeper, very love/hate pub that one it seems.

If I had to say, the kitschy decor. But I have no idea, I didn't claim anything about the Phoenix except that it's become my favourite pub. You're the one saying the majority of pubs in the centre of town appeal to everyone! Which i would certainly disagree with. Some people I know wouldn't set foot inside the beerkeeper/parkes/the fane/gormleys/brubakers. Especially the beerkeeper, very love/hate pub that one it seems.

Any of those people you know frequent the spirit store? :p

I know I would agree, but my little narrow minded view of it at the moment is when I go into pubs I see a lot of different people in it, I only speak from what I experience. there are a lot of pubs round town though who even refuse people at the door, such as brubakers ( shiver ) and good time charlies ( feeling sick ) and they only appeal to the more finely dressed ( if you could give it that name :rolleyes: ) crowd. I did feel though that the bartender appealed to people from all walks of life, but you ( and your friends who dont go there ) seem to harbour a different view of that.

no matter what we say within this discussion, neither of us carry any real evidence as to support our premise.

so, we have come to the end of a rather nice and informative discussion, and I have learned a lot from it.

God bless and take care
    Stephen. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Courtneys ftw. I also have an odd few in Tolaes.

I used to drink in The Spirit Store a fair bit. It was okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭theexis

The cash replacement version was piloted a few years back in Ennis and failed.

Well its coming back and running in the UK already - new Barclays Cards have an RFID proximity type design, so you don't need to put it into a reader, and don't need to enter a pin for transactions less than 15 pound.

http://www.barclays.co.uk/Helpsupport/Barclayscontactlessdebitcards/P1242561764200

Advertisement